“Excellent Food”

Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Kilmessan
Cuisines: Irish, International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Award Winning Signal Restaurant showcases the finest seasonal produce with modern techniques, putting a taste of the Boyne Valley onto your plate. At the Platform Bar & Lounge you can enjoy an all day well-crafted menu, a delightful afternoon tea or freshly brewed coffee and teas with our famous scones and different home bakes, all made in house but our pastry chef Marie, who is with us for over 16 years.
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

A bit out of the way, but this is part of the charm. Had dinner here recently with my wife. It was a bank holiday weekend and was busy.
The food was exceptionally good. The menu is probably a little bit old style, but when it was as good as it was who cares. I had duck to start and rack of lamb. Lovely sorbet between courses with a complmentary soup at the start.
Only downside was the price. Prices are more 2006 than 2013.
On balance as the food was so good I would recommend for a special occasion.

1  Thank Ossian G

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We ate here on the recommendation of family. We arrived and chose to sit outside. I had to go in and ask the reception girl to get someone to take our order. We must have been sitting for about 25 mins before we even got a drink. I thought this was very poor especially as a first impression.
however when the waiter did take our order the food came quick enough and also the drink. We could not fault the food and especially the childrens meal. Everything was fresh and very well presented. I would say however that no-one came to ask us how our meal was so if we did have a complaint we would again have to go the reception to discuss the matter.
I would go again as the food was so nice but I would like to see the service improve first. My family had said the same thing that service was slow but the food could not be faulted.

1  Thank RAKelly
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Four of us went there for a special night out and sadly we were all very disappointed withe food. The place itself is lovely and comfortable and we had eaten there several times previously and had good experiences. One of the guests had to return the main course of Salmon as it was completely overcooked and my wife's Dover Sole was like rubber. The side vegetables were also overcooked and generally the service while being pleasant was a bit slipshod. They did make allowances on the final bill but by then it was too late as the night was spoiled.
This was the worst meal anywhere in quite a long time.

1  Thank Michael N
Reviewed July 4, 2013

i go to the station house lots of times over the last many years to many to remember and have attended three weddings there .its always a great experience for me and may i say for my family and friends too.i was there two weeks ago for dinner and what can i say it was just smashing .great service and great food i had the rack of lamb really really good .im attending a wedding there in september and i cant wait.to often people dont take the time to put pen to paper to say to say a big thank you to owners and staff of places like this and if i can say very well done to you all the station house has proved the test of time

2  Thank emma c
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We picked Kilmessan on a whim. We had not been there before - either the town or the Station House Hotel.
We booked by phone, bought the Sunday papers en route, arrived a bit early, had a drink outside and read the papers.
Also outside were a group that looked like some leftovers from yesterday's wedding - a bit noisy but.??? well there you go!
Inside the dining room was old world and very very nice. The Maitre D' is Portugese, very calm and comfortable - no pretensions - and this communicated itself to the staff who were all very good at the task and pleasant as well. A nice atmosphere.
The starters were really flavoursome - a fish 'smokies' and a a very good duck patie.
Home made bread - as much as you might like or want.
The mains we had were a really flavoursome lamb (could perhaps a been a bit more pink) but a great taste - an lots to eat. The second main was pork. While a tad dry, was packed wijth flavour. Stuffing, veg to an excellent standard, and again as much as you could want, and more offered. The sauces were really good too.
I felt the wine list a bit confused and very pricy. We had an acceptable French sauvignon blanc at €28.80.
The food for two came to a total of €49.85, including one ice cream and one supplement (the lamb).
The bar drinks (two) were €11.80.
So, a very pleasant and polished counrty lunch on a casual Sunday came to €90.45.
I thnk they need to fix the wine list, and just might revisit the Sunday lunch price, but we will go again. I hope we are not there on a wedding day...............so, you should ask first, if/when you are booking.

2  Thank 34210king