“Still a great place for a base”

CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gormanston
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
“Still a great place for a base”
Reviewed October 3, 2009

Back at City North AGAIN, and i'll keep coming again and again, this is a brilliant place to stay, very friendly and welcoming with good food and ALWAYS a good pint !
First stayed here in 2007 when it was still a new hotel, two years on and it's still like a new hotel, spotlessly clean with friendly staff who are always ready to help. Our room was an executive room, it was huge, bright and airy with a large, very comfortable, bed, which was a welcome sight after a hard days walking around one of many of the local historical sites.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Isle of skye
Reviewed September 24, 2009

A repeated visit to City north doesn't dissapoint, in fact it improves! This is an excellent, comfortable, friendly hotel .The great bar serves delicious bar meals and the perfect pint. It's located in a quite spot but close enough to the moterway for easy travel. We visited most of the local sights, from Newgrange to Loughcrew to Dublin and Monasterboice, then were able to return to the comfortable surroundings of the City North for rest and sustainance (food great - beer better!) We're always made to feel welcome and so we'll return again and again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed July 9, 2009

We had our wedding at the City North on 2nd May '09 and we were not disappointed. This hotel bent over backwards for us. They exceeded all our expectations. Our guests are still raving about the food, most claiming its the best meal they have ever had at a wedding. Guest did not go hungry, the portions were big and they came back with 2nd and even 3rds.

What can i say about the staff, they were so friendly and meet all our demands. They made our day so a perfect one and we could not thank them enough.

I would def recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Belfast
Reviewed July 7, 2009

This is our 3rd time at the City North Hotel.
We travelled from Belfast to attend the Bellewstown Races.
The Hotel provides a Free bus service to and from the Racecourse.
You can also park your car there for free and catch a coach to the Airport for a small fee.
It is just 20mins from the airport.
There is a Beautifull beach just a few minutes away at Laytown and Bettystown
The staff are very friendly and helpful.
The rooms have everything you need .
The food in Devlins bar is very good
We took advantage of one of the many special offers.
It was a great price for a great weekend
Cant wait to return.

Marie and Eamon
Belfast

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed June 18, 2009

We stayed there overnight, decided to treat ourselves.
Hotel was lovely and clean, staff very friendly.
Bar food really nice.
Loved the little extras like the pack Bewley's biscuits in the room with the tea & coffee facilities.
Amazing to have a bath-sheet that wrapped around you with space to spare, instead of the normal silly bath-towels that only just meet on your body.

Great value for money, would go back in a flash. Well done.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I wanted to write this review after reading the last one, as I'd hate anyone to be put off staying here by the adverse comments. I recently organised a one-day conference for 47 at the City North; 8 of us had dinner the previous evening and quite a number of the delegates stayed over. The staff and conference organisers couldn't have been more helpful, flexible or easy to deal with. The food was well above average for a hotel, and the rooms were lovely and comfortable. (Mine was actually upgraded to an executive room which was really spacious and luxurious.) There is free wireless internet throughout the hotel and the meeting room we used was exceptionally well kitted out.

Feedback about the hotel from those attending was excellent - the only criticisms were by a couple of people who had flown into the airport to find that the free hotel shuttle bus wasn't running after 8 am, and that a taxi to the hotel cost £50. I assume that the hotel had reduced the frequency of the shuttle for economic reasons and this is understandable, but it was a huge additional cost for anyone arriving by air. (I see this has recently been extended to 9am and I hope it stays that way). Of course, if you drive, or get the bus from Dublin that problem doesn't arise.

With the exception of that one minor quibble, our whole experience with the hotel was very positive indeed and I would be more than happy to hold next year's conference there again.

It has some great deals available, and for those using it as a base for a Dublin stay, right now and who don't mind busing or driving into town and back, I lay a bet that you won't find a hotel of this quality and comfort for the money anywhere in the Dublin area.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Dublin
Reviewed January 10, 2009

I stayed in Hovel Augest and my partner and I had a meal in their restaurant.
The food was not good and lukewarm and the beef needed a drill to cut. After the meal I felt sick but I was sorry for my partner who spent most of the night throwing up this vile dish they call cusine.

In September I called into the hotel and explained I was unhappy and that I had stayed in this hotel before. I asked to speak to the general manger and was told he was unavailable but would ring me within 3 days.

The girl at the deak wrote down my views on the mail and was sympathic..

NO ONE RANG ME,,,, NO FOLLOW UP

I have stayed in this hotel at least 4 times usually for Business and I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN. I will also tell my collegeue not to stay here.

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — the food
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
AoganDunne, General Manager at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, April 1, 2009
Your comment posted in January 2009 refers to your stay in August 2007 and regrettably our guest feedback files from that time period do not offer any record of a dissatisfied customer stay. I can personally assure you that guest feedback is of prime important to us at the CityNorth Hotel and that all customer comments continue to be received and responded to in a strictly procedural manner.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gormanston
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Westcourt Hotel
#2 of 5 in Drogheda
Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown

Been to CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!