“Only O.K”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gormanston
Dublin, Ireland
“Only O.K”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed here for a family wedding in late August. Myself and my wife stayed over as did a lot of our family. The rooms are small in comparison to most hotels that I have stayed in. There was no breakfast included in the room rate which we didnt know about and when we asked could we have breakfast we were told that it would be an extra €20.. Its a modern hotel that lacks charachter or soul...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ladonna M, Manager at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Guest.

I'm disappointed that you found the hotel lacking in any way. Many first time guests to CityNorth comment positively on the warmth and distinctive style of the hotels decor. It is acceptable however that a contemporary interior is not always to everyones personal taste. We offer our guests the choice of booking accommodation on a 'room only' or 'B&B' package. Reservation confirmation details will confirm the chosen meal basis booked. With thanks, L. McCartan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

I have waited two weeks for the manager to make contact with me, I have emailed directly and left messages with two reception staff.
I have stayed in this hotel many times, but this time I was unfortunate to be badly bitten by fleas whilst in bed.
These things happen, I completely understand that, but it was the manners of the room manager and the reception manager that upset us.
We work hard for our money, and in future will spend it somewhere else. You have now lost a family that was a very loyal customer over the past few years
Tricia

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Tillie-woo
Dear Tricia,

We pride ourselves on maintaining a very high standard of hygiene within CityNorth Hotel including the accommodation department. This can be verified by numerous forms of guest feedback received and is in tandem with our adherance to strict guidelines as laid down by regulatory hospitality standards authorities. An allegation of this kind is therefore considered to be very serious. It is my understanding that once brought to the attention of our reception team, the hotels accommodation manager investigated the matter swiftly and reverted with no indication whatsoever to support this feedback. The hotel offered to arrange the services of a doctor for further clarification - which was refused. We regret that you feel compelled to discontinue your custom at the hotel but would thank you for your loyalty to date. L. McCartan
northern ireland
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Booked this hotel as it was coming up the cheapest in the area & the location was pretty central for going to Tayto, Funtasia & Dublin city centre. We drove down from the north & the hotel was well signposted & easily located. Plenty of free parking at hotel. First impression of hotel - clean, modern & friendly staff. Our room was clean, tidy & nicely decorated. The only negative regarding the room, it overlooked the motorway & there was some traffic noise. Not the best view, but ok I suppose.
For kids, the hotel offers a play park, a games room & a cinema room. My 8yr old loved it!
We paid extra to have breakfast in the hotel, 10 euro for adult & 5euro for children. Breakfast consisted of cooked food served in Metal food warmers, a small selection of fruit, juices & cereal. Breakfast was ok but certainly not 4 star! I would rate the breakfast 3 star. We also had dinner in the hotel. Dinner was served carvery style & was very tasty & good value for money.
Any staff we encountered were friendly & helpful. My only negative regarding staff is that when you are at reception, the receptionists answer the phone while dealing with you! I would have preferred to have the receptionists full attention which would have been a more professional & quicker service.

All in all we had an enjoyable stay, & the hotel was a great base for us!

Dear Guest,

We are very glad that your family enjoyed many popular attractions in the area. I wish to advise you that our breakfast menu offering and service style is currently under review with the aim of further improving standards. I would be confident that these changes will be made in time for your next visit. Check back with us for special family offers for Halloween mid term.
L. McCartan,
Newtown Cunningham, Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and 3 sons ( 12, 9 and 2) stayed in City North for 3 nights ( Aug 24-27) on the recommendation of my sister and we had a fantastic break. we booked a special offer which included admission to Tayto park and Funtasia. We booked interconnecting rooms which were spacious, comfortable and very clean. The childrens facilities were very good ie playroom/dvd room, games room and playground. Food was very good and we particularily liked that the children ate free when dining with us. Staff were friendly and helpful. The only negative thing was that the 12.25 Mathews bus to the city centre didn't arrive at the hotel on the sunday as per the timetable and this meant we had to organise additional transport at short notice so that we could attend the game in Croke Park. However, this was beyond the control of the hotel. All in all a great break- would definitely recommend it as a family friendly hotel.
susan

2 Thank Susan M
Dear Susan,

I'm delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us recently and thank you for the kind review. I'm disappointed that the regular daily coach service operated by Matthews gave any cause for negative feedback and will investigate this matter with them as a priority. Best of luck on 23rd September for the All Ireland Final. If you are planning a visit to Croke Park combined with a stay at CityNorth Hotel, I will arrange a complimentary coach ticket for your convenience. We expect to welcome a high number of guests from the northwest for this exciting sporting week-end. L. McCartan
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I booked this hotel as it was cheapest rate I had checked lots before I booked this hotel. I was looking to stay in hotel as I needed cheap car parking. I was travelling early on the 1st of Aug and looking to leave my car for 19 days, I was looking for best option for myself. We arrived at the hotel lovely receptionest, very chatty. I was given my key for my room, The room very spacious. Lovley view, freshened up then went down for dinner as this was included in my room rate, we ordered our dinner, first course came, after few mins, main course didn't come for over 25 mins, there was a lot of going on there that night, we were totally forgotten about. They did applogise for the inconvience.
Breakfast was ok, nothing major about it.
We booked our pick up for collecting us to the airport for 8,30am I was informed that the 8,30 was booked up? I was not happy but I had to go on the 9.30am. I said to her our flight was coming back on the 19th at 8,15am, she said ok she even gave me a slip of paper and said ring if the driver was not there when you come out. so when we were getting our bags I decided to ring the hotel. The receptionest she said it was booked for collection for 9,30am? I said that was the time when we were brought over on the 1st, I was not happy about this as I was really tired and I had still to drive home to Limerick another 2,30 mins, We didnt get picked up till 9,40am. The drive Jimmy was very nice guy. He even dropped us back to the car. I wouldn't stay there again, too far out from the airport. I would pay the extra just to be nearer the airport.

Room Tip: Stay here if your travelling to Belfast other than that I would not stay there.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I'm very sorry that our airport transfer service gave you any cause for dissatisfaction.
This is 24hr service which due to high levels of demand, operates on a pre-booking basis. We strive to ensure all guests (booking online and by telephone) are made aware of this booking condition. Given that your flight was arriving in at 8.15am, we would have booked you on the 9.30am pick up in order to allow for baggage claim and any possible delays and to ensure your place was confirmed. The service operates from the airport at 30 minutes past every hour so this was deemed to be the earliest and most appropriate pick up time for you. Perhaps you will return to enjoy a leisure stay and some of the delights that County Meath has to offer. L.McCartan
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed for the Bank Holiday weekend and had a fab time, pre booked Waterpark with the Hotel and also visited Tayto park, both nearby. Hotel has lots to offer for the Kids including Games room and Cinema room. There was a wedding on both days but you would not have noticed. Dined in both Bar & Restaurant and could honestly not fault either the food or the service, staff very helpfull and polite.Bedrooms just right for a family of four. Shall be returning for the mid term break, fab.

Westport, Ireland
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed there for 1 night with the wife and 2 kids. Travelled from the west of ireland to treat the kids to Tayto park and the hotel done a package for the park. They had phoned into tayto park so our tickets were prebooked and didn't have to queue and the location was what we wanted - not too far but also close to the beach. Next day done Funtasia Bettystown which was a few minutes up the road and Funtasia Waterpark. That night drove back to the west with knackered children and very good memories of a great 2 days..
The hotel done a great deal that all kids under 12 ate free and my 2 were famished after tayto park so there was a good selection too choose from. All in all the hotel i would use again due to its location to the 2 venues and easy to get too. A++

2 Thank Taggy-The-Chef
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gormanston
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Westcourt Hotel
#2 of 5 in Drogheda
Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown

Been to CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!