“basic”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gormanston
louth
“basic”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

myself and my boyfriend stayed here for one night and for the price we paid €78 euro (that was a special offer) we were happy. the rooms were very basic no mini bar, and when we ordered brekkie in bed for an extra charge of €5 euro per person the fry up was cold.
there was entertainment in the lounge and only for the band (juicer- excellent band) was good at getting the crown going, there wouldnt have been much atmosphere!
over all we were happy with our stay for the price we paid but would not pay any more then €78 euro for a dounble room sharing.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mosthappytotravel
Andrew T, General Manager at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Dear mosthappytotravel,
Thank you for your recent review of the City North Hotel on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed the evening entertainment and that our weekend special rate was good value. Although the rate includes breakfast for two people there is a single tray charge of €5 for room service. The rooms are modern but I would not say basic as they have multi channel TV, an iron and ironing board, a hair dryer, tea and coffee making facilities and a safe. However I do hope you choose to stay with us again in the not to distant future.
Kind regards
Andrew Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
N.Ireland
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We booked this hotel as a young couple for a weekend getaway. This is an honest review of the hotel.

Getting to the hotel has been one of the easiest journeys that we have made. In a very convenient location, although beside the motorway it is set in a good bit so that you do not hear any noise from it.

CARPARK

Upon arrivial there is a large enough carpark with lots of space to accomodate so always guaranteed a space, at least any time that we have been.

RECEPTION

From the outside the entire hotel looked fantastic and the reception area was newly designed also. This has got to be the friendliest hotel staff we have ever encountered. We are a young couple and sometimes get the impression that we are not treated as serious customers anywhere however this was not the case here as we felt we were treated just as good as the other customers.

The receptionist was very friendly explained everything to us, showed us everything etc and lead us to the lift.

Also I usually like to be asked if we would like any help with our bags even if we don't need it as I think it is always nice to have it offered, hotel was bang on as we were asked right away.

ROOM

Very clean, spacious and modern. Actually it was a large room for the money that we paid which seemed great value another great point. Bathroom was good size and the bed was super comfortable.

As for the view it was over the carpark, but we could still see around it was great a very very quiet. We did hear other guests arriving beside us however we couldn't hear doors slamming etc which was another bonus.

GENERAL

All in all this is a fantastic hotel, we have stayed at this hotel 2 times now and would always go back. We did drive to it which is recommended if you are staying here then I would advise for your own car or to get a rental because everything is within great distance if using car.

The bar was fantastic a little pricey than we are used to however the bar staff was superb, he was even very chatty with us which was excellent customer service, what can I say I love this place.

Next time I would like to get the biggest room possible to see what the difference is and possibly review it aswell to see if anything has changed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
LTallon, General Manager at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Dear Avanyx,
Thank you for your recent review of the City North Hotel posted on TripAdvisor. It is always good to hear positive comments, which means that the training and hard work our team does pays dividends. I am delighted you have stayed with us a couple of times and hope you think of us in the future. Assuring you of our best attention at all times.
Regards
dublin
Reviewed February 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel and left the car while we were abroad for an extended period.. I cannot even begin to explain how fantastic the staff were. First of all we had brought the wrong charger for our laptop and the receptionist helped us to go on
Amazon to buy a new one and have it sent on.
On our return the car didn't start straight away and they drove their van around with jump leads ready to help. As it turned out we didn't need them but absolutely nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them.
Apart from that -the room -the delivery and collection service to the airport -and value for money was exceptional.I would highly highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lovethatmusic,
Thank you very much for your delightful comments you posted on TripAdvisor recently. It is always satisfying to read all comments especially when they show the Hotel in such good light. Iam glad you had a good stay, that we were of service to you, and look forward to welcoming you back to the City North Hotel in the near future.
Regards
Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on the 21st January 2012 and would never return, on arrival the front door glass was full of hand prints not a good first impression, when we entered the hotel it was colder inside than outside, the recptionist wasn't very pleaseant nor was she helpfull i had to ask could i book dinner and exactly were do we go to get it, when we got off the lift on our floor the cold hit us i thought i was after going outside by mistake, the room was nice and clean which was a blessing as we ended up back in our room by 9pm reason being was the bar again was very cold and the atmosphere was dull i would have had better fun bringing down my tweezers and pluking out my eyelashes, there was no music which i thought for a saturday night was bad and everyone was whispering like we were in a library,the bar area was dirty crumbs on tables the carpet was dirty there were newspapers on the floor and again the windows in the bar were full of hand prints, then at 9 am the next morning a member of the accomodation staff banged on our door and walked into the room i jumped out of the bed a let a roar she then jumped and said sorry and ran out of the room, on check out the receptionist never asked how are stay was or anything like that which i found very unprofessional , all in all i'll never go back nor would i even recommend it to my Mother in Law.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Alison S,
Thank you for your comments posted on TripAdvisor recently. As we take all valid feedback seriously I would like to appologise as there is no excuse for a dirty environment in which to sit and eat. However the room attendant would only go into a room if there wasn't a Do Not Disturb sign diplayed but I can understand this would have been a bit of a shock to you. Generally we ask all our guests how there stay has been and we have comment cards in all the rooms for any all feedback both positive and negative. Should you wish to discuss your stay with me, then please contact me directly. Assuring you our full attention at all times.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I was at this hotel for an event last month and am still reeling, I passed yesterday and see it' got 4 stars and I don't know HOW it could be awarded this. At this event the wine served at the bar was some cheap and nasty new world wine, i don't know how hotels think it's acceptable to only sell plonk, when a customer is paying such a high price for it. Only that I hadn't eaten all day I wouldn't have touched the slop that they called dinner, disgusting meat, really bad quality served in greasy sauce. It was thrown the plate and like the awful wine available just spells hoteliers taking advantage and ripping people off...i thought this had gone out with the 'celtic tiger' but not here, god help our tourism industry if this is the type of stuff tourists to this country must pay for and experience. Rough and unpleasent to say the least.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Aisling W,
Thank you for your recent comments posted to TripAdvisor. We take all valid comments, both positive and negative, very seriously at the City North Hotel. I would like to point out we have a selection of three white and three red house wines at all our bar outlets available in addition to our separate wine list. I am also concerned that you feel we served slop as this is not consistant with the numerous positive comments in relation to our food and service. To this end I would like you to contact me directly so we can discuss your concerns.
Newtownards, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I decided to book with this hotel on 1st Feb 2012 got an email from a receptionist stating the price & saying that we could all stay in the same room ,if we didnt mind it was fine with them(there are 5 of us,the youngest is 4 & will sleep with us anyway!!).I emailed the next day to book & was told by another receptionist that we would need 2 rooms & that it would be 100 euro dearer!!We are utterly disappointed,esp the kids!Obviously the price you pay depends on what receptionist you get,we cant afford it!!I wouldnt recommend.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
LTallon, Director of Sales at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear jenny m,
Thank you for your recent comments on TripAdvisor re a booking for 9th and 10th July 2012. We are very aware that some families with small children would like to be in one room and sometimes for exra comfort in interconnecting rooms. We try to accommodate all our guests when booking rooms on an individual basis especially when children are concerned because there are so many different configurations. However in this instant we were not aware that a quote had already been sent to you for one room. So as a new booking we would have automatically started with the option of two rooms (i.e. interconnecting) This I believe is where the confusion has arisen. If you still wish to book with us please contact the Hotel directly. Assuring you of our best attention at all times.
Ladonna Tallon Director of Sales and Marketing
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend as we were attending a function.
First of all, the hotel is located just by the motorway in an isolated location. I can't imagine any convenience of the location of this hotel, not even if you are taking a flight, as there is a 20 minute ride to the airport. Within that distance, you have other hotels located in more attractive surroundings.
I don't want to seem unfair or throw critics without a justified explanation...following, I will detail what I considered a very poor experience (and saying this, I don't think I had an experience like this in any other hotel/hostel/BB in my life).
I came in through the main door at around 12.45 am with bags as I was coming straight from work. The gentleman in reception looked at me and did not even greet me or asked me who I was... that concerns me in terms of security if I'm honest.
I went over and asked him about the function and he directed me towards the location of it.
A while after I went to my room, where I was with my boyfriend having a conversation and the guests next door started banging the door, insulting us and mocking us...
I called reception and the same gentleman answered the phone. I told him my concerns about this situation and he said that security was on his way upstairs.
We went downstairs for a cigarette to calm the nerves down and I asked the gentleman if it was possible to be moved to a different room, but they were fully booked.
Security just went upstairs while we were smoking and then, the same gentleman, told us that the only issue reported was that the TV was loud in that room...well with us not around I couldn't see the people trying to insult us!
We then went downstairs for some quiet drinks and we were having a conversation at a normal sound level (take into consideration we were 10 people at the table) and again the reception gentleman came to ask us to bring down the voices as he was trying to speak on the phone (??!!!)
No more mention about this person who should have passed the matter to the DM who was walking around the hotel and never came to check on us or seemed to be aware of the situation.
In the morning, we order breakfast to our room… It was ordered to be delivered from 10 am to 10.15 and came at 10.40… The breakfast tray was missing butter and jam, all the hot food was cold and the quality was really poor. I opted for not eating it as I wasn’t even sure if I was going to feel OK after it.
At 11 am approximately, we were still in bed and the accommodation staff next room bang the wall few times, the walls must have been very thin because we felt them in the bed! They were also quiet noisy while carrying their cleaning duties.
All on all, not a good experience. In this day and age, when customer service is the key of a successful business, it’s a shame to see lovely properties to sink because of a careless and bad management.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ellefolk
LTallon, Director of Sales at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Dear Ellefolk,
We at The City North Hotel take all comments, both positive and negative, very seriously. To this end I would very much like to discuss your recent contribution to TripAdvisor regarding our Hotel.
Ladonna Tallon Director of Sales and Marketing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gormanston
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Westcourt Hotel
Westcourt Hotel
#3 of 5 in Drogheda
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown

Been to CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!