“Lovely stay!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gormanston
belfast
“Lovely stay!”
Reviewed January 22, 2012

My partner and I spent the weekend at the CityNorth Hotel just outside Dublin. It was a successful weekend and I was very impressed by a number of things.

Our room was lovely, walls a little thin (especially when children are staying next door!!) but all in all very comfortable- we liked having free WiFi access in the rooms.

Food in the restaurant was beautiful- we had an evening meal which was well cooked and large portions.

Breakfast on the Saturday morning was lovely, made to order and very filling. On Sunday morning it was a hot buffet, I cant understand why they would choose the buffet for the busiest morning if they were trying to make an impression on guests, we felt let down that we didnt get a fresh option.

Staff were good but as I work in the trade I expect the receptionists to smile and say hello when I am passing reception, it helps so much!! Also, I wasn't impressed with having to wait while the receptionist finished her (very long) phone call. I only had a very small question and I expected them to at least put the call on hold and find out my query rather than ignore me.

Decor- beautiful! Loved the lounge area and fire, very relaxing. Also the free newspapers were a welcome addition.

Location is great for Dublin city and Newgrange.

All in all a great stay, with a few training issues ironed out it would be perfect!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
LTallon, Director of Sales at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear jannersBelfast,
Thank you for posting such a lovely review of the CityNorth hotel. Its always good to get feedback as it helps us to improve what we do here at the hotel. We take all comments good or bad seriously and it is rewarding to see that we are on the right track. It is also a great tool when we are training new or existing staff.
We do hope you come back to us in the not too distant future and assuring you of our best attention at all times.
Ladonna Tallon
Head of Sales and Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Ireland
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Gave this hotel a bad review about two years ago.

Tonight I have to eat my words. Was traveling up country in a really bad storm and decided to give the hotel a go.

Straight away great service. Lady at check in was excellent. Ask about getting food which was just about to close. They dropped much bags to the room so I would not miss getting food.

Bar staff really good and they serve an excellent blue steak.

The rooms are first class.

This hotel comes highly recommended.

I am the first to complain about bad service. With this hotel there was nothing to complain about.

My review of terrible in 2010 is retracted

• Stayed January 2012
LTallon, Front Office Manager at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Dear KilkennySean,
Thank you very much for your review of The CityNorth Hotel. I am glad you found your recent stay with us such a good experience. We do pride ourselves in going the extra little bit to ensure our guests have a pleasant stay above and beyond their expectations. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Worse hotel I ever stayed in we will not be back, the kids play area and toys were so dirty......food very poor..... staff ok.... poor wine choice....Be warned!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Caroline3000
Dear Caroline3000,
Thank you for your recent review of the CityNorth Hotel. We take all comments both positive and negative very seriously and can only appologise to you most sincerely regarding your experience with us. It certainly is not our usual standard at the Hotel. The childrens play area in the bar is a very important part of our 'kids policy' here at the Hotel and as such is being continually used by our younger guests. We will soon have a new bar menu in place which we hope a some point you may like to try out. Assuring you of our best attention at all times.
dublin, ireland
Reviewed December 26, 2011

I live quite close to the City North Hotel, and went for lunch there several times. I have always been happy with food and service. As I was attending a chrismas party night here recently, we decided to stay the night. The hotel foyer is large with plenty of seating, and checkin was prompt and efficient. Our rooms were spotless, warm and spacious. We had adjoining rooms as we requested, and although we overlooked motorway, it did'nt disturb us, if your a light sleeper, it might be better to have a room opposite side of hotel. The highlight of our stay was the friendly staff, they could'nt do enough for us, any request we made was dealt with immediately and with a smile, and they checked with us often to see if everything was alright on our party night. Breakfast was great, plenty of cereals, pastries, fruit etc. The full irish was self service, but all was warm and not dried up. We really enjoyed our stay, and will definitly return.

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank reilling
Dear Reilling,
Thank you very much for your kind words on your recent review of the CityNorth Hotel. It is very pleasing to read such comments regarding our staff, service and our Breakfast service. We are trying continually to improve our standards so it shows we are going in the right direction. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.
Louth
Reviewed December 21, 2011

We had our wedding here in August and what should have been the best and most memorable day of our lives turned into a nightmare. From the word go all the written hype that they publish will quickly prove to be false. You are promised a dedicated wedding planner who could not care a less about the paying customer. We had to book a make-up trial 10 times, yes 10, ten times. I had to make numerous attempts to get them to spell my name correct. The wedding suite is supposed to have rose petals and complimentary basket ect....... SUPPOSED to have, being the order of the day with these premises. We woke after the wedding to be told by a quest of mine that my vechicle had been broken into. Locks smased and my sat nav taken. I asked a groudsman to direct me to a member of mgt, he told me whats the point none of the cameras are working!!!!! i asked the reception staff to get a member of mgt and they laughed at me............ sorry can somebody tell me what is funny about waking up and finding you have been robbed???? mgt then informed me that none of the cameras where working and they where trying to get them fixed, he shrugged his shoulders and walked off........ a fact that i found out was untrue....... how? the police station. We where leaving on our honeymoon the same day so i had to get somebody to come and collect my vechicle and have it fixed. The sat nav would now give away where I lived and i had to organise security for our home. Did the hotel staff care...... no, they found this funny!!! While going up in the lift to tell my new bride what my plan was and what had been organised two women where in the lift..... the general manager and a hotel inspector, listening to there conversation I asked them if they where the general manager. They said no!! A fact I got to put to her a short while later. After returning back to the hotel I tried to get some breakfast before leaving for the airport to be told breakfast was finished. So much for a champagne breakfast in bed........ After paying the bill the general manager decided to make an appearance and to say her manners need a lot to be desired is an understatement, she could not care a less for our troubles and plight........ "oh well these things happen and you did get married" I had to get away from her as what I was thinking would have gotten me a jail sentence. My locks cost me €375 to have fixed and my sat nav was €140 did we get a phone call to apoligise??? No!!! a letter NO!!!! nothing. As part of the package/contract you are supposed to get a weekend break for two in the midlands..... it took 5 mths to finally get a 200 post office voucher off this hotel. So you have been warned........ I had no options here to give this hotel a zero rating a fact trip advisor must change as 1 is too much.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Edmund M
LTallon, Manager at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Dear Edmund M,
Thank you for your recent review regarding your function in August 2010. I can only extend my sincerest appologies for the experience you encountered here at the City North Hotel. Please be aware there is a new management team in place here and these would certainly not be our usual standards. Although we were not here at the time of your function we would only be too pleased to speak with you at your earliest convenience to resolve some of the issues you raised as fully as we can.
Assuring you of our best attention at all times.
Ladonna McCarton
Business Development Manager
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I stayed for 2 nights on the 9th and 10th of December. Couldn't fault the place at all, good price, friendly staff, spotless, and the food was great too. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less A/C noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Deirdre P, Manager at CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
Dear davidh911,
Thank you for kind comments regarding The City North Hotel. It is always a pleasure to read feedback from our guests especially when when we have achieved our aim which is to reach our guests expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the City North in the near future.
Front office and Revenue Manager
Cheshire
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Stayed in this hotel on the 29th November and had a very nice stay. Had a suite and it was very nice and very clean. The Guiness was excellent but they had a problem with the heating in the bar so everyone was sitting in coats. It was eventually fixed but was not the most relaxing at the time. These things happen though. The food was OK but I felt overpriced.
Breakfast was really good and they have clearly taken note from another persons review on the breakfast on this site. Would defintely stay again, thanks

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Chap1830,
Thank you for your kind comments and observations about your stay with us. We take all feedback both positive and negative very seriously to improve the standards we impliment in the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast experience as we are always seeking to improve the overall standards of service and food quality.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the City North Hotel soon.
Front Office and Revenue Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gormanston
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Westcourt Hotel
#2 of 5 in Drogheda
Boyne Valley Hotel & Country Club
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown

Been to CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!