“Not great..”

The Johnstown Estate Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Enfield
“Not great..”
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Arrival and check in was Ok. But as we checked in another guest was complaining that his room had not been cleaned. It was 4:30. The person in reception said his system showed the room was cleaned. He then asked someone to "check" the room. As if not believing the guest. Our room was clean and a good size, but there was only 2 towels in the room. A lot of doors in the corridors were damaged where staff had obviously pushed them open with trolleys. Bar staff were slow and inattentive, served drinks in the wrong glasses and when asked for the correct glass did not seem to understand. Obviously not trained. Breakfast was buffet, but was good quality (not dried out).

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Mullingar, Ireland
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

As we are parents of two little boys...a wee night away for myself and my husband is a real treat but boy did we waste our money on this hotel. The food in the restaurant was terrible. We found it unbelievable that they could serve up food that was soo sub standard. The service left a lot to be desired. Don't waste your money

Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Trevor T
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Just left here after the worst experience in a long while. A lot of staff there but they didn't bother taking an order. After 15 min I had to go to bar. Food portions are small e.g. apple crunch. Dessert served with soup spoon and on dinner plates. 4 star hotel???

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank IRL_Travelled
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at The Johnstown Estate Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback regarding your recent visit to the Coach House bar at Johnstown House Hotel and Spa.

It is with deep regret I read your feedback and I do apologise for the short comings you encountered during your visit.
I can assure you that your comments have been highlighted to ensure there is no future
re-occurence.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stayed here with friends on a girl's night away, and although the hotel itself was fine I was very disappointed by the service. We booked through a Groupon offer, but personally I don't think that should equal a second-rate stay - the point of a special offer is to make a luxury experience affordable! The offer included two double rooms, access to the hotel spa and pool, dinner, bed and breakfast. Staff at reception were friendly. Our rooms were lovely, and as a bonus they were adjoining. That was the best bit however. We had made a reservation for dinner and were really looking forward to it, as the menu on the hotel's website looked amazing. However when we arrived at the restaurant we were left standing at the door for several minutes, and then shown into a small adjoining dining room instead of the main room. All of the tables in this room were occupied by groups, and I think it's likely they were also guests using vouchers. I was really disappointed when we given a very limited set menu to choose from, with just three options in each course, none of which were particularly special. The waiting staff were just awful, never smiling or making us feel at all welcome, constantly stretching right across us to serve the food and remove dishes, then just plonking down plates - I was getting genuinely irritated by the end. We had to ask for water, bread and a wine list.The food was very average indeed. After dinner we moved into the bar, and there the service really hit rock bottom. The two young bartenders were clearly unable to cope, although the bar was not that busy. They adopted the 'I can't even see you til it suits me' approach, which might be OK in a packed nightclub, but is just not acceptable in a supposedly quality hotel. When I was eventually acknowledged and served it was curt and they took ten minutes to actually bring us our drinks. This pattern continued throughout the evening. Not one member of waiting staff in this hotel seemed to want to be there, let alone want to make us feel like welcome guests. I won't be back.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor - incredibly noisy
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank BranMadra
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel and Spa.

It is with deep regret I read your review.
As per the terms and conditions of the deal purchased their was a set menu advised however I do apologise for the short comings you encountered with service during your stay.

These issues have been highlighted to ensure there is no re-occurence.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Had the "pleasure" of staying here in recent days.

Service in the bar was slow and inefficient. It was if some of the staff were on their first day there. Actually, maybe that was the case..?

Dinner was chaos. Again, poor service in and around the restaurant. Apologies were slow.

I thought the general level of cleanliness, and attention to detail, was poor. It suggests that the staff are not trained well, and don't know how to be efficient in their roles. It also suggests that Management are slacking in their ability to stay on top of things.

Overall, disappointing.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank FD85114
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel & Spa.

It is with dissapointment I read your review and I certainly apologise you were made to feel so strongly regarding service during your stay.

I do apologise for the short comings during your stay and can assure you these comments have been highlighted with the relevant departments.

Tirol, Austria
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night after it was recommended to us. The grounds are very pretty, the exterior of the building is impressive and there is ample parking. The reception staff were courteous and efficient. The room we received was compact but we got a special deal so we didn't mind so much. There are advertisements in the room for their movie channels but our room had an old tube TV and we could not get access to any of their channels. We decided to head down to the pool before dinner. The spa/pool area is linked to the hotel via a long bright corridor. The changing room was a bit grubby and some of the locks on the lockers are broken. Padlocks are not offered at reception so leave your valuables in your room safe! The pool and jacuzzi are ok but I felt the area could do with a clean. Whilst we were there we saw a fully dressed woman with her shoes on standing at the side of the pool while her two children played in the water beside her. The thermal suites were a bit too small for comfort. If you like your personal space invaded by a sweaty, half naked stranger then you'll like the rooms here ;-) Dinner was in the Pavillion restaurant but prior to that we went for a pre dinner drink in the Coach house bar which we found quite cosy. The barman was a little frosty and disinterested on that particular day though! The restaurant is not my idea of a fine dining experience (as stated on the hotel website). The room is quite small and the decor is a little drab. We were initially ignored when we arrived but there appeared to be a shortage of staff on the night (a Monday) so I didn't mind too much. The tables are very close together. We could hear conversations on both sides so if it's a romantic meal you are after you should request a corner table. The food is very bland and the dessert tarts were very dry. Not worth the expense. The bar food looked better. Breakfast the following morning was very tasty. The staff were very pleasant and there was plenty of food. When I asked if there was any soya milk one of the staff members went into the kitchen to get some for me which I really appreciated. Overall it was ok but I will not be in a hurry to return to this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SulliBanks
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback regarding your recent stay at Johnstown House Hotel & Spa.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay however it is a dissapointment to learn you encountered some short comings during your visit.

All of your comments are warmly welcomed and will be highlighted with the relevant departments.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

After a wonderful, relaxing experience in the excellent spa (can't recommend enough), my two friends and I were hoping for a similar experience in the hotel, but it was not to be....

Check in was delayed, and as three fairly easy going gals we decided to wait it out over lunch in the bar. Oh what a wait it was. It was like they never expected most their guests would like to eat. The service was painfully slow. Once we were attended to our waitress Mel was lovely. But again, the lethargic way in which the staff conduct themselves delayed us yet again when we came to pay our bill. A different member of staff was unable to find our docket, and after many trips back to our table to enquire, and gathering around the till with colleagues (with much gesturing towards us) I finally managed to pay. It seemed like quite the ordeal for a few sandwiches.

There was a short incident that involved a room key not working, and being unable to contact reception from the phones in our room but the most irritating part of the whole trip was our visit to the restaurant;

We arrived promptly at our reserved time of 20.00. There was a queue out the door and the more time we spent in it the more grumblings we heard. Finally at the top I was met by the stressed manager, Terry, who scanned through his list of reservations and told me mine wasn't there, despite having booked it with reception earlier in the day. He told me " I'm fully booked,. What do you want me to do about it?". Appalled by his inability to remain cordial to paying guests, we returned to our receptionist, Liz, that checked us in and told her of the mishap. She dealt with it in a polite and calm way, much how Terry should have, and asked us to have a drink on the house while she sorted out the problem. It was a long wait, but while being treated like human beings, rather than a nuisance, we were content to wait. At the bar we met many other guests who were experiencing similar difficulties, and were faced with similar rudeness from Terry.

The restaurant was under serious pressure and in order to get basic things (water, to order, plates being cleared etc) we had to consistently call staff. However, that being said our waiter Flo was great and very personable. It was just a pity he didn't have adequate time to do his job properly.

The following day breakfast was mayhem. Basic crockery such as bowls and plates had run out and when another guest complained a staff members reply was that they had 500 guests. Her tone implied more like she has 500 problems. Many things were missing from the breakfast, the room was filthy, many tables not being cleared away. Next to us we had the beautiful view of a rotting banana skin, a broken glass on the floor and some ol' chewed up toast. Faced with yet another wait some guests jumped behind the counter and began serving out the breakfasts to others.

All in all the hotel was dirty, most areas were dusty, and many cups and glasses we received weren't clean. On the whole the staff lacked basic manners (such as acknowledging customers) and everything felt like a struggle. It's the most I worked for a relaxing time I never had.

Staff members such as Konrad, Mel, Liz and Flo are very unfortunately let down by their colleagues.Luckily for us there were some staff members who weren't only great at their jobs but a joy to deal with, and I was very fortunate to be in very good company.

I'm sorry to be harsh, but I felt we were treated harshly, and we had to pay for the pleasure.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank RosieRoRo
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback regarding your recent stay at Johnstown House Hotel and Spa.

It is with deep regret that I read your review as this is not the standard we are striving to achieve at the hotel. We consider all comments received to be an invaluable source of information on guest satisfaction.

Firstly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience or annoyance caused as a result of our shortcomings. Although I am confident that your experience was an isolated incident, please be assured that immediate steps have been taken to ensure no re-occurrence of this regrettable situation.

Your kind comments regarding Liz, Mel, Flo and Konrad will be passed to them.

I thank you sincerely for your feedback.

Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enfield
Moyvalley Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 2 in Straffan
Bellinter House
Bellinter House
#1 of 4 in Navan

Been to The Johnstown Estate Hotel? Share your experiences!