“Great room, terrible food!”

The Johnstown Estate Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Enfield
Dublin
“Great room, terrible food!”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Upon arrival to an empty hotel, the manager offered us an upgrade, assumingly at no extra charge, to an executive suite. The room was spacious and freezing cold. After phoning the front desk, a heater was placed in the room, immediately fixing the problem.

The gym was crowded but stocked with all the necessary equipment. The spa/pool area could have used a deep cleaning. Everything was stained yellow and smelled of old sweat. The sauna had a clogged drain and therefore had 3 inches of stagnant, sweat filled water of which you had to step in to get into, DISGUSTING!! The steam room was out of order, which we were told was being cleaned, only to see the following day that it was still not working and definitely not clean.

Our meal that afternoon was shockingly bad. 25 minutes after ordering a roast beef sandwich and pork shoulder main, the server arrived to the table to inform us that they were out of roast beef. It took the kitchen 25 minutes to realise this??. 20 minutes later the orders arrived. My pork main was overcooked, tough and extremely poorly presented. My sweet potato wedges, which I was extremely excited for, were drenched in a jus, which flooded the plate and garnished with 50 pearl onions, no joke 50 onions.

Our meal the next night was no different. My steak was ordered medium rare, and was delivered medium well, which I chose not to return because I was starving. My partner ordered the fish n chips, advertised as cod. The fish arrived, definitely not shaped like a cod fillet. We asked the server what fish it was and were told it was codling. This should have been relayed to us before/during ordering, as codling is a very inferior fish. The fish had a dense, chewy breading. This was the worst fish n chips we have ever had!!!

The only good part about the food was the fact that you were using Waterford Blaa as the burger bun. For this I applaud you!!

At checkout, we informed management of our complaints of which he handled very well. He then noticed on the system that we owed for an upgrade, which was hugely embarrassing to have to say that the first manager had offered us the upgrade complimentary.

I will not be recommending nor returning to this venue.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Chad G
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at The Johnstown Estate Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback in relation to your recent visit at the Johnstown House Hotel and Spa.

I am very sorry for the shortcomings in standards that you have experienced, let me assure you that these comments are acknowledged and will be addressed to the relevant departments in the hotel.

We hope to see you return soon.

Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014

It was my daughters birthday and I seen a great deal for this lovely hotel. Ten of us went on the Friday before Christmas and had a one night stay. I have stayed here in the past with my husband and knew the hotel was good but none of the others have been here before but will be going back as they were very impressed. The rooms are clean and beautifully finished and the hotel over all is well looked after. Five of us had spa treatments and enjoyed them and the relax area afterwards. The swimming pool was used by all and the hot tub out side was a real treat and make sure you use the hot stone beds afterwards. The deal we had included a two course meal in the bar and breakfast. The food was lovely and over all the hotel is excellent. We cant wait to go back and are looking for another deal.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see you have returned to us and once again enjoyed your stay and that your friends were looked after also upon your return.

I will certainly pass your kind comments to all of the team here at Johnstown House Hotel and Spa.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This hotel is fronted by a beautiful country house, the hotel itself is modern and the spa is well equipped. The rooms are a good size and well presented and the staff are professional and friendly. I stayed here as I was attending a wedding, and the food was very good, a notch above some other wedding food which I have experienced in other establishments.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at The Johnstown Estate Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see that you found your stay enjoyable and that the food was a delight for you.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I'm a bit late putting my review up, but I wanted to do one as when I reviewed this hotel the comments helped me in choosing it for my wedding. We got married in June 2013 and I can't recommend this hotel more. I met with Louise Rowe, the wedding organiser who was absolutely lovely to deal with, even when I hadn't sent in my table planner late the night before the wedding she was really kind and completely understood the madness and stress around a wedding and especially the week coming up to the wedding. The ballroom was perfect, there are two bars in the ballroom which is great for keeping people in the room. On the day of the wedding we asked would they mind closing one of the bars because we thought it was separating the room and they did it immediately, little things like that make a big difference when your stressed, that they just do it without questioning you, fantastic! The meal was really good, we had a choice of fillet of seabass or fillet of beef for the mains and people were raving about it and especially that they came out with seconds, bonus! The area where we had the reception drinks was bright and classy, with a grand piano. The rooms were fabulous, my parents and new inlaws were so happy with their rooms. I have to say I had full confidence in the staff and the hotel and was just so happy with the way it went.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see that you had the most enjoyable day with us.
I will certainly pass on your kind comments to Louise and the staff.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

12 ladies booked into the houses at the Johnstown house hotel for spa treatments and a nice birthday for my mother and to wind down after Christmas it was 28/12/2013.we had lovely lunch in the bar and headed to the spa area where the ladies looked after us brilliantly except for a couple of things . The showers were not working in the spa area and the jacuzzi was not working either and considering it was for my 68 year old mothers birthday dragging her up and down the stairs to discover this and back up and back down to use showers and back up to collect belongings I needn't tell u relaxing is not what she felt when we finished . My own massage was 25 minutes delayed and I had to go out to reception to find this out because I was just left alone in a room with no one around to ask . Eventually Davina did my treatment and she was lovely and I enjoyed it .the houses were lovely and the breakfast gorgeous and we had a nice time .

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see that you found lunch in the bar enjoyable.

I am very sorry for the shortcomings in standards that you have experienced, let me assure you that these comments are acknowledged and will be address to the relevant departments in the hotel.

We hope to see you return soon.

Meath
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is the first poor review I have posted and it saddens me that a hotel I visited about five years ago could have deteriorated so much in such a short space of time.
A group of 5 of us spent one night in this hotel. We had 2 double rooms booked initially & a fifth person decided to join us. Having enquired beforehand about getting a third bed into one of the double bedrooms I was told that they would try to facilitate us by giving us a triple & a double room instead. This was great! I specifically asked that we have 5 single beds & no camp bed irrespective of what way rooms were to be arranged. Upon checkin I was given 2 keycards & knew by the look on the receptionist face when I asked which room was the triple that this had not been arranged. I said nothing and left well enough alone. When we went up to the room low and behold a campbed in one of the rooms. Again I left well enough alone & said nothing. We went to make a cup of coffee & realised that we only had cups//coffee & tea sachets/towels/pillows/glasses for 2 people. I rang reception & asked if they could sort this out as there were 3 of us in the room. I was told that she would sort it out this time but if I had any other problems to seek out the staff member on each level of the hotel whose job it was to look after issues like this. My sister who was in the other room then came into our room disgusted that the toilet in her room had not been cleaned and had poo all along the inside of the bowl. She rang reception about this. This wasn't a good start! I'm not going to go into all the details of the Fawlty Towers experiences we had but instead list them:
- Mini bar was completely empty in both room
- Safe in both rooms - batteries were dead and no power going to them
- Safety chain in one room broken and we could not use it that night
- The sink in the bathroom did not empty and we had to plunge it with its own stopper to empty it
- Four of the five meals ordered were cold - the hot one being the deep fried option
- In the Coach Bar we asked on three occasions for milk for our coffee to no avail - eventually we had to order fresh coffee +milk

The only two redeeming things about this hotel is the beautiful spa area and facilities in it and Patrick, who served us in the Coach Bar. I don't think I will be back there again unfortunately.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!!!!!