“Nice hotel, good price, adventures in the bathroom.”

The Johnstown Estate Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Enfield
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice hotel, good price, adventures in the bathroom.”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed here for just one night; I was working in the area the next day.
I was checked in by a very friendly guy. He offered to help me with my luggage (a wheelie bag not much bigger than an attache case), and when I said I was OK, he didn't make a big deal about it. I like that; there's nothing worse than having a guy wheeling your tiny case to your room, while you look like an idiot, following behind him.
Anyway, the room was spotlessly clean and toasty warm. The bathroom was also very clean, with floor-to-ceiling ceramic tiles that kinda looked like marble, if you squinted a bit. There was a bath and a separate shower. I elected to go for the shower, which had one of those sliding glass doors. It was missing one of its little wheelie things at the top though, so it glided along its rails the way a sack of spuds glides across a cobbled road. I decided to give the shower a miss; a large plate glass door supported by just one little wheel at the top didn't fill me with confidence - it conjured up images of my naked body being found days later, with six-inch spikes of glass puncturing me in numerous places.
The bath seemed to be a better bet. The plug (a metal one with a groove around it that normally holds a rubber ring) didn't have its rubber ring. I figured I'd have to keep topping up the bath to make up for all of the water that leaked down the plughole, which wouldn't have been very environmentally friendly. But I turned out to be wrong; it actually let hardly any water out. As the bath filled, I selected one of the tasty tubes of bath gel and squeezed the whole lot in, intending to have a bubble bath like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. Alas, all I got was a measly few bubbles which fizzled out almost as soon as I got in. Maybe she was using the industrial-strength stuff, or maybe the water in my hotel was so hard that working up a lather was an impossibility. Anyway, I relaxed nonetheless.
While lying in the bath, I noticed that the wash basin was hanging out from the counter-top it was mounted on. I didn't investigate further, but it really did look like the only thing holding the ceramic basin to the worktop was a bit of silicone sealant. I hope some poor kid doesn't hang out of the basin some day, and have the whole thing tip down on top of him. I also noticed, from my lower-than-usual eye level in the bath, that there were lumps of what looked like chewing gum under the counter. Could have been left there from when somebody parked it there while washing their teeth, and then forgot to put it back in their mouth. On closer inspection, though, it was left-over silicone sealant, where the plumber must've just wiped it off his finger. The counter top seemed to have quite a bit of silicone residue on it; there must've been some bad silicone experiences in my bathroom at sometime in the past. I think I'd have sacked the plumber.
More casual inspection while lying in the bath showed that the plumbing to the cold tap (or faucet, for you people in North America) was all corroded, as was the plughole. It looked like the hot water supply was treated, but that the cold supply was neglected to the point where it started to rebel. It looked like the water was either quite acidic or quite caustic, or both. Probably not both - that would be chemically difficult, I think. The taps (a victorian-style affair, with 'telephone' type shower attachment mounted on top) were quite loose; worryingly so. I treated them with quite a bit of respect, for fear that my touch would be enough to prompt a leak.
Anyway, it didn't leak while I was there, so I rinsed myself off with the shower, notcing that the hot supply was at significantly lower pressure than the cold, so the hot tap had to be turned fully on, with the cold tap turned to pretty much exactly 120 degrees anti-clockwise (counter-clockwise for you people in North America). At 119 degrees, the shower was scaldingly hot; at 121 degrees it was too cold. I realise, as I type this, that mentioning 'degrees', 'hot' and 'cold' in the same sentence is at best demonstrating my poor command of the English language, and at worst going to cause confusion; my apologies.
Exiting not very gracefully from the bath, I reached for a towel, which was fluffy and warm. Toasty warm, in fact - probably because it was on a heated towel rail. I was pondering this fact as I dried myself, thinking that the fluffy warm towels really made up for all of the other rather trivial bathroom matters. However, this caused me to not concentrate on the matter in hand, and my bottom briefly touched the towel rail, giving me quite a start. You'll be relieved to hear that it didn't result in any permanent scarring though. Testing with my hand, the towel rail was hotter than you could comfortably hold for more than half a second.
There was a nice Villeroy and Boch toilet, which received my offerings without complaint. Toilet rolls (two of them) both had their loose ends origami'd into little triangles (can anybody tell me why hotels do this? I'd love to get the person who started that stupid trend and give them a good slapping; I can't think of anything more pointless).
So that was really the end of my adventure in the bathroom. Clearly, I lead an uneventful life. I went downstairs and had dinner in the bar. Nothing remarkable; typical bar food.
The bed was like heaven; king-sized and comfy, with perfectly clean sheets and absolutely no traces of bed bugs (yes, unfortunately, based on previous unpleasant experience, I now check every hotel bed I sleep in). The room was completely silent. I mean totally silent; no noise from above, below, outside, inside, no A/C noise, nothing. I slept like the dead.
The hotel was a little more expensive than what you could get in the area, but it was a lot nicer. I figured it was worth the extra pampering, given that I was going to be working in a pig slaughterhouse the next day. True story.
There are loads of other things here that I can't comment on, because I didn't get a chance to sample them. Like the leisure centre, which apparently boasts a 25m pool, and also extensive cool-looking grounds, which I only saw from inside my car on the way in, and on the way back out again.
Would I stay here again? Definitely!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Pavanamuktasana
odhranlawlor, General Manager at The Johnstown Estate Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Pavan,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to Johnstown House Hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments. I trust that after your excellent nights sleep that you were more relaxed going to work the next day? However, please rest assured that we will check all our bathrooms so that the issues you highlighted are addressed.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Odhran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We purchased the one night stay spa package at this hotel and stayed in April 2013. If you intend to get public transport to Enfield, you will need to get a taxi (€5) with the local service to get to the hotel as it’s slightly out of the town. The building and setting is very impressive with extensive grounds.

On arrival, check-in was very efficient and we were able to get our room a few hours before the check-in time. The room itself is spacious, if slightly outdated. The bed is two twin beds pushed together but was extra roomy! The beds were comfortable and extra pillows are provided in the wardrobe. The room itself at night was very warm even with the heating adjusted and the windows open, air conditioning would have been useful. The bathroom was very nicely decorated and large with a separate shower and bathtub.

If you intend to have treatments done in the spa, I suggest you book well in advance, especially when staying at the weekend. I booked almost a month in advance and there was limited availability even then. The experience at the spa was excellent, the staff were very professional, and the treatments and thermal spa available was wonderful.

We ate lunch in the bar, the menu was limited but the food was good. Fairly large portions and good quality. The service was excellent in the bar (waitress was called Emma), she was very friendly and easy to talk to. We ate in the restaurant that night (again book early). The service was excellent as was the food. The breakfast was good. Great selection and very tasty. The queue for food can be quite long at the busy times (we were there at 10.30).

Overall, the experience was great for a short break away, the service very professional and friendly. I do feel that the hotel may be slightly overpriced, but if you can get a good deal this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tf91ie
Dear tf91ie,

Thank you for choosing Johnstown House Hotel for your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience and are grateful for your feedback. Rest assured I will pass on your comments to all the staff but to Emma in particular.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Johnstown House hotel in the near future.

London
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights while attending family wedding. When we pulled up outside was a bit worried because if looked like it needed a lick of paint on the window frames (it has been a hard winter though). Needn't have worried, once inside everything was lovely. Clean, spacious and airy. Pleasant comfortable room, fab beds - slept like a log and didn't hear a thing. Bathroom was lovely - walk in shower and separate bath. Ate in the restaurant - food was lovely and staff fantastic. Served by a lovely romanian young man whose service was outstanding, and pride in his work obvious. Wedding reception was great and food didn't stop coming.

Used the spa which was spotlessly clean and well maintained, everything worked perfectly. Young man on reception at the spa spent ages going through swimming trunk stock to find the one pair that fitted my brother!

The staff at this hotel were amazing. I've stayed in loads of top american hotels that pride themselves on their service and they have nothing on the staff in this place. Talk about Cead Mille Failte!

Only a couple of niggle which is why it hasn't got the full 5 marks - only one pillow, only one towel each, and not mad about the toiletries which could have been slightly more special. Having said that I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
odhranlawlor, General Manager at The Johnstown Estate Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Jaye Mc,

Thank you for taking the time to review Johnstown House Hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed the wedding and are grateful for your kind comments regarding the staff and the facilities in the hotel.
We have carried out refurbishments in a number of areas over the last 12 months and the windows are due to be completed this year. I have also noted your comments regarding the towels and toiletries and I will address these issues.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you to Johnstown House Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Atwater
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Arrived at the Dublan Airport in between snow flurrys, Enfield is about 30 to 40 minutes so when we got to the Johnstown House Hotel it was a blizzard. Stayed in the self catering 2 bedroom 3 bath units which are two story with stairs. We had our Parents with us so the stairs were a small problem, good thing they had a toilet downstairs. Nice facility, beds good, being from the states didn't understand everything so called housekeeping two or three times to tell us how to get things to work right. No problems they were happy to show us how to set up the tv, heater, microwave, etc. We had the buffet breakfast as part of our package and it was consistantly good, basic eggs, bread, potatoes, yoguart, pastries etc. Hot and cold food. Coffee was good. After that we didn't need to eat again until evening meal. The front desk helped us with paying our toll out of the airport and gave us good info on the area and things to do. Ate at the pub in the hotel several times, food was good and it was convenient after a day of sightseeing. Drove 1800 miles in 9 days so we saw a lot of green, met quite a few people and lots of ruins. Would stay again if we get the chance.

Room Tip: All the self catering units seem to be the same, never heard any noise from the neighbors.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear fwbooks

Thank you for taking the time to contact Trip Advisor me regarding your recent experience at Johnstown House Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I trust that you had a memorable trip to Ireland. The hotel is very popular with our US visitors and located so close to Dublin I am sure you found it the ideal spot to explore Dublin during the St. Patrick’s Day festivities and indeed for your excursions around Ireland.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel once again and in the meantime, thank you for your kind comments.
Dublin
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed for 1 night here on Special Groupon deal - Spa day & Overnight B&B. Absolutely everything was 100% could not fault this hotel in any way. Staff are extremely professional & helpful from the Reception Staff, to bar/waiting staff and especially the ladies working in the Spa. I had a Hot Stone Massage from a wonderful therapist Kasia I think was her name and it was pure heaven - the best massage I've ever had. All in all a wonderful stay and I will definitely be back to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank wegalDublin
Dear Weagal Dublin,

Thank you for taking the time to review Johnstown House Hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed the wedding and are grateful for your kind comments regarding Kaisa in the spa and all the staff.

Regards,

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I booked a spa day here which I got on Groupon, it was top class, the place is spotless and very well run. The therapist I had was a Polish Lady, Kasia I think was her name, she was excellent. The treatment room is very calming, lovely music in the back ground etc while I was getting a massage and facial, after that we had an aromatherapy bath which was very nice. The pool, jacuzzi are are perfect. Very easy to get to from the motorway from Dublin. I would highly recommend the spa area here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Ais G,

Thank you for choosing Johnstown House Hotel for your special day. We are delighted that we had some part in making it such a memorable occasion. Rest assured I will pass on your comments to all the staff but to Louise in particular.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and we wish you lifelong happiness together.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had our wedding in Johnstown House just a few weeks ago. Such a special day made so much more special by not having to worry about any aspect of the hotel.

We had a great time and found the hotel to be excellent and we have since been talking to our guests and everyone loved the hotel! We got great feedback on the staff, the rooms and the food.
The food was the main reason we picked this hotel really, always gorgeous and they didn't disappoint on the day. Loads of it too.

Special mention has to go to Louise, the wedding co-ordinator who was just fantastic. She was more like one of my friends, getting excited for me about all the details. Felt like we were the only wedding there that year and yet we knew there was a wedding the day after ours and the day after that!

Great spa here too and a lovely bar. One of our new favourite places.
Thanks to all there

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enfield
Moyvalley Hotel & Golf Resort
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort
Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa
Hamlet Court Hotel
Hamlet Court Hotel
#1 of 2 in Enfield
Trim Castle Hotel
Killashee  - Hotel Spa Leisure

Been to The Johnstown Estate Hotel? Share your experiences!