“Excellent family weekend !”

The Johnstown Estate Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Enfield
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed here with our two children and had a spectacular room with lots of space , the staff were very helpful and so friendly to the children , the bar was an excellent option for our evening meal with the children who were given crayons and paper to colour and waitress made a big fuss of thier pictures when finished , I have two really fussey eaters and they loved the food , also loved the pool area with the outdoor hot tub for the adults to relax ! Really have nothing bad to say about this hotel at all , will defo make a return visit .

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank YvonneByrne

Reviewed October 16, 2012

This hotel had no atmosphere, the staff were rude and the food was inedible. My tough beef arrived on a cold plate followed several minutes later by cold vegetables.
The room was quite spacious and the bathroom clean and roomy. Will never stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jymols
odhran l, General Manager at The Johnstown Estate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear David B,

Thank you for taking the time to review Johnstown House Hotel. I am very grateful for your comments and the time and effort you have taken to write the review. It is through such feedback that we can continue to improve our standards.

This year we have begun our refurbishment of the hotel, and to date have refurbished the bar and restaurant as well as some of the private dining/conference rooms. Please be assured that it is our plan to upgrade other areas of the hotel in 2013. However many of your points have been actioned and on behalf of the management and staff at the hotel I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Yours sincerely,

Odhran Lawlor

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I visited this hotel for an overnight stay with a Bed and Breakfast and a dinner with my partner. We could not check in to hotel until 4' o clock. We checked in at four and went to our room. We arrived in the room which was very old fashioned. The TV was in what can only be described as wardrobe that you need to open the doors to view it. It was a very old box style televison not the modern flat screens that are the norm in most 4 star hotels. We then noticed a rather large stain on the bedsheets as can be seen in the picture. I went to reception and informed them of this and we were moved to another room. The other room we were moved to was better all though the appearance of the room showed a lot of wear and tear with dirty carpet and black marks on the walls. The corridors to the room were also poor with many of the doors showing significant disrepair and many areas of the wall paper showing rips and tears.Some of the wooden doors were quite broken and one of the electrical sockets was loose and not properly attached to the wall this was not only a safety hasard but also a firehazard. This was very concerning considering the level of children in the hotel one could easily get shocked by this. The floor of the corridors were also very dirty. The only time we could get in the restaurant was 730. So by the time we checked in and had to move room we nearly had to run down to dinner and could not even get time for a shower or to use the spa facilites. At this point I believe I did not miss out on not visiting the spa due to the condition of the rest of the hotel. The smell of smoke in the residence part of the hotel was a very strong and for a non smoker not appealing. Very few hotels allow smoking in rooms nowadays and this is something that I believe to be imperrative in a four star rating. We went for dinner. The food was okay. We asked for two soft drinks prior to the arrival of our maincourses however they did not arrive to mid way through the dessert. I ordered these of the restaurant manager who treated me more as an inconveniece than anything else. When I asked him about them during the maincourse. He just said there on the way. I find it a farce that in this day and age that the staff had to travel to the bar to get a soft drink in the restaurant when when sensible drinking plays such a big part in society. The next morning breakfast was good however there was a spillage in the area and no one cleaned it up. They put a couple of towels over it and a yellow sign to inform people of a wet floor. It was there for over an hour until I left the restaurant and it was probably there for quite a bit there after. We checked out. Stay unenjoyable,. Moving rooms an inconveniece, Service poor, Hotel quality date and in need or repair and maintenance.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I booked this hotel for a girls night away - just to chill out, have a bite to eat & a few drinks, a chance to relax & catch up. I booked the room online, and found the reservation & reception staff to be very friendly & efficient.

Our room (103) on the ground floor was spacious & nicely decorated. The bathroom had both a bath & a separate large shower. The only comments I would have is that several of the bulbs needed replacing & as we had chosen a smoking room, I would have expected an ashtray to be available. Despite a dip in the mattress, the bed was quite comfortable.

It was a Friday night and as I was aware that the hotel was on the outskirts of the town, I didn't expect it to be so quiet- about 10 people in the bar including us! I reckon that this hotel relies heavily on conference & banquet bookings. We decided to have bar food as we were late checking in & had cancelled our reservation in the restaurant prior to arriving. Although the bar food menu was limited, the food was good. Disappointed though that when I ordered a vodka & coke, my drink arrived with the mixer poured into it - the first thing I learned as a waitress 27 years ago, was not to pour mixers!

As there was no atmosphere in the bar (we were the only two left by 11.30!) we decided to go back to our room. At 1.30am we had to contact reception as there was a row going on in a room across the hallway. Compliments to the night porter, he dealt with it straight away. Breakfast was your usual hot/cold buffet, however, we were hoping for poached eggs, which were not on the menu, but our request was accommodated with no issue. Although quiet, service was a bit slow.

We didn't avail of the leisure centre or spa facilities on this occassion. When checking out, we were advised that the bill comprised of our accommodation & the bar bill, which I paid. Upon leaving the hotel, I checked the bill to realise that we had been charged the incorrect room rate & also the deposit I paid, had not been taken into account. I returned & the receptionist apologised & refunded me the difference. I was glad that I had checked the bill - €20 better off in my pocket!

Overall, it was a nice evening & if you are looking for a quiet retreat, this fits the bill!

Room Tip: Our room was close to reception & so there was a bit of traffic through the corridor to bar/rest...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2012

lovely hotel,easy access to motorway handy for travelling to Dublin.The food in the pavillion restaurant was lovely,we had a 4 course meal as part of our weekend deal and was really worth it. The coachouse bar was a lovely bar to sit and unwind very relaxing. Breakfast inthe morning was plentiful plenty of tea and coffee, everything you could possibly need. The staff are very welcoming and pleasent.
The swimming pool was fab, there was also a hot tub outside which was fun
All in all would definately would recommend and would definately go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 70beckyboo
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I am here on my journey through Europe and I felt compelled to leave a comment above this Hotel, well to be honest more so the Spa, As a US visitor I have in the passed been underwhelmed to say the least regarding Spas in Europe, But Oh me Oh My Johnstown House Spa is just to die for! The staff are so polite, freindly and well trained, Every Muscle in my body melted as I was taken on the Spa Journey of life Time..You guys better set up a Spa in Yonkers NY real soon

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 28, 2012

stayed for 3 might midweek break..hotel was very quiet..we had a lovely room but a little bit of a treck to it carrying a baby in his car seat..breakfast very good, dinner included in the deal was not so good...starters and main courses very disappointing but dessert was good..we noticed the gentleman at the table next to us was getting constant preferential/special treatment!!..we had to request the shower area in our bathroom be cleaned and the overflowing showertray to be fixed, honestly i don't think i ever saw a shower area so dirty and the same went for the showers in the leisure centre, serious consideration should be put in to basic cleaning...even the locals using the leisure centre were commenting on the dirty showers.. probably the friendliest staff i have encountered in a hotel in a long time..we will be back again soon but please clean the showers!

• Stayed: September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enfield
Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa
#1 of 2 in Enfield
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
#1 of 3 in Ashbourne

Been to The Johnstown Estate Hotel? Share your experiences!