“Excellent food and service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Monastery Inn

Monastery Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Enfield
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, European, Pub
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: the monastery inn is located in the tiny village of clonard in county meath on the R148
Westmeath
“Excellent food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Was at a private function in the monastery inn, I was told by somebody before we went in that the food was very good. I have to say that I was very impressed with the quality of the food and also with the amounts which we received, the kids were also well looked after, and were happy with what they got. I found the staff to be friendly and efficient. I have often driven by this location, but never thought of it as a location to go for a meal. I would recommend this location to anybody, because of the food alone. The only problem is the location you have to exit at kinnegad heading for Dublin, but take the scenic route to Dublin and enjot the Monastry inn

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wooddown

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“As good as ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was the third time we have eaten at this restaurant while visiting family in Ireland. It just seems to get better each time. The service was fast and attentive, the portions large and the taste great. Two of us had the battered fish. Three firm strips of fish, crispy batter, altogther a gut filling platefull. My wife said her lamb shank melted in the mouth. The Baileys cheesecake came in huge portion. They were also able to meet the gluten-free requirements of one of our party.
The time before when we visited we were celebrating my wife's birthday. We brought the birthday cake along with us. When we asked they were very happy to cut the cake for us and even supplied plates and forks at no extra charge.
Its an experience well worth leaving the M4 for.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank retiredjournalist
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I went for lunch on a Saturday, while he was very happy with his lamb shank, even tho mashed potatoes looked dry and like they had been sitting around for a while. I was not at all happy with my "beer battered" cod, the batter was thick, soggy and very yellow, the texture and taste were pretty disgusting. I managed to pick some fish from the batter but it was not worth 14 Euro. Will not be back!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
“Disappointed with the quality of food served. Was expecting much more from this well known eatery.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Exterior could do with a little TLC. Frayed flags are never a good look and weeds growing through the concrete equally unappealing.
Inside however is beautiful and steeped in history.
However the food is a disappointment. Not getting basics right. Will be a long time before I would return

Meath
“Delicious...yum yum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I had not been here for a long time & recently returned with family visiting us. I had the Brie as a started & Roast Chicken as mains. The Brie was the best I have had in ages & the Chicken was very nicely cooked. We also enjoyed some Guinness which went down nicely. Others in the party had curry & steak sandwiches which they enjoyed, the portions probably just a little big & chips could have been better tasting & cooked/presented, that would be my only complaint. The atmosphere was nice, it was a little quite the evening we visited which was nice as we could have a proper chat. The staff were very helpful & friendly.

• Visited May 2013