“don't let the facade fool you” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cooneys Hotel

Cooneys Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballymahon
Peterborough, Canada
“don't let the facade fool you”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I recently spent the evening at Cooney's in Ballymahon and upon my arrival wondered what I had got myself into. The outside of the Hotel/Pub was not an indication of the quality of service that I would receive inside. The staff was very friendly and efficient. The food was cooked to perfection and served hot. Breakfast was include with my room and there was a lot of choice, again served quickly and hot!
My room was clean and large with two beds. Although there were not a lot of channels available on the TV, I managed to get through the evening on a comfy bed.
Although my stay was short, if ever I get back to Ballymahon I would stay here and I recommend it for anyone passing thru the area

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Ken P
Dear Ken P,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel. Thank you for recommending us.

Michael Cooney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

This hotel is ran by Michael and Josie and their family. It's a lovely hotel in the Irish Midlands. I recently had a post wedding bash there and the food and service was excellent. Even if your just popping in for a quick bite or a drink the food and service is really great. It's also very reasonable. The steak is yummy and the chips are the real deal, they are cooked in dripping. Excellent for grub and they are very accommodating and thoughtful. Lovely! Highly recommended.

4 Thank eilishg
Dear Eilish,

Thank you for taking the time to post your great review. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you for recommending us.

Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Room was very comfortable and spacious. Evening dinner was good value and delicious. Staff were friendly and very helpful with information on how to reach our next destination. Our only disappointment was the Wifi was not available throughout the building, only in certain areas. I believe there was a fault and to be fair staff did make a chair available in the corridor where the Wifi was working.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Annette M
Dear Annette M,

Thank you for taking the time to post your great review. We are delighted that you enjoyed you stay with us. Since your visit we have fixed the wifi issue and it is now available throughout the hotel.

Pettigo, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

I travel regularly between Donegal and Tipperary and stop here all the time. It serves excellent food and the staff are wonderful. My recomendation to all hungry travelers is to try the roast Beef. My daughter complains when she goes somewhere else that they can't cook beef properly(because the beef here is top notch). Having stopped here now on trips for years I have always been served great food and always return.

3 Thank Meg b
Dear Meg B,

Thank you for taking the time to post your great review.

Thank you for the recommending us. We look forward to seeing you again.

Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I attended a clan gathering and stayed in Cooneys for the weekend with my family. I really could not find fault with any aspect from accommodation, food and staff friendliness. I had 4 young people with me who attended the night club and they had a wonderful time.There was live entertainment in the bar for the more mature clientele such as myself. My siblings and their children also stayed for the weekend and found it to be without fault. A thoroughly enjoyable stay and would definitely return when in the area. Well done to the owners and staff.

Room Tip: Once you are aware that there is a night club, and what is inevitable as a result, you will have abs...
3 Thank SunshineDublin
Dear SunshineDublin,

Thank you for taking the time to post your great review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us. Thank you for recommending us.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and myself were cycling the Royal Canal and stayed overnight in Cooney's. it was the most enjoyable stop during our trip. We had a lovely evening meal and the rack of lamb was probably the best I've ever had both in terms of quality and presentation. The room was spacious and clean and as it was quiet we had a very restful night.
The staff were very friendly and most helpful. We had a problem with one of the bikes and they did everything they could to help us sort out the problem.
We would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone who finds themselves in that part of the country and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DonalOBrollachain
Dear DonalOBrollachain,

Thank you for taking the time to post your great review and recommending us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

My girlfriend and i stayed in cooneys at the weekend. It is a fabulace hotel. the rooms are very comfortable, the staff are very friendly and helpful. The Food is delicious and excellent value for money.Two course meal including a steak option for 19.95 the hotel is in great condition very clean and live entertainment all weekend. we had a brilliant time and will definetly be returning to cooneys in ballymahon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank 09Bren84
Dear 09Bren84,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Michael Cooney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballymahon
Keenan's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant
Hodson Bay Hotel
#5 of 9 in Athlone
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,928 reviews
Glasson Country House Hotel & Golf Club

Been to Cooneys Hotel? Share your experiences!