“The Ultimate Wedding Experience”

Moyvalley Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Moyvalley
Reviewed March 28, 2009

I recently attended a wedding at the Moyvalley Hotel and Golf Resort. The wedding was held in the period mansion on the estate. The house was simply out of this world. With 10 large bedrooms and its own cellar bar and designated staff, every need was catered for. Inside the mansion was simply palacial with no expense spared. Whilst 20 lucky guests got to stay in the 10 bedroom mansion my wife and i stayed in one of the cottages and we were not disappointed.
The cottage was finished to the highest standard with granite worktops and jacuzzi baths. Other guests stayed in the boutique style hotel.

The hotel itself is very chic and contemporary, a complete contrast to the period mansion and yet the two marry well together pardon the pun. The resort promote the hotel and the mansion as the perfect couple and i must admit its hard to disagree.
On the Sunday the men played golf on the resorts championship golf course designed by Darren Clarke and the women relaxed in the big house. I am not a keen golfer but those in the party that were claimed the course was in amazing condition with the best greens that they have every played anywhere.

Wedding packages include the mansion for 2 nights,close family stayed for a second night and enjoyed an intimate meal with good food and good wine discussing the previous big day which we thought was a particularily nice touch. The staff were very helpful especially an elderly gent served us in the bar and nothing was too much trouble. My wife being a keen gardener was especailly taken by the absolutely stunning landscaped gardens and manicured lawns.

A Spa is planned for the future, although im not sure when, but if the golf course, hotel
and mansion are anything to go by i would expect it to be among the finest in Ireland if not the world.

I thorougly recommend the hotel for a relaxing break. My wife and i have already rebooked online for their Easter special.

The resort is

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Silverfox55
There are newer reviews for Moyvalley Hotel & Golf Resort

Reviewed December 2, 2008

I stayed at Moyvalley over a weekend with my girlfriend and I have to say, it was a fantastic experience overall.

We arrived tired from our journey on the Friday night but the girl at the desk made us feel immediately at home, and once we got to our room we had no option but to crash - which was not difficult given the large and 'dangerously' comfortable bed!

Food at the restaurant was top notch - I reccomend the pan seared scallops with lightly curried sour cream (mmmm) and the amazing selection of homemade mini-deserts presented at lunch - and the bar had a loungy, retro feel to it.

We just needed some time away together, and overall we chose the perfect place. There's a good selection of walkways around the area, and a great little spot called Fury's pub aroud the corner for that cheeky and well deserved pint afterwards!

Wholly reccomended.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2008

I thought this was a beautiful hotel, and just what the doctor ordered for a lovely quiet getaway. The hubby played golf and i did some r&r. It is a pity though that there was no spa to treat myself.
The room was very comfortable, cosy, warm and modern.
Dinner in the Restaurant that eve was delicious.
The Bar was very comfortable and service was good all round (but very noticeable that there were very few guests!)
Had one of the nicest hotel breakfast the next morning, again service was very pleasant.
I had a very enjoyable, relaxing and comfortable stay and will definately be back.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Stayed at the Moyvalley for one night in September 2008. I was there for a wedding. The rooms are well furnished. The usual extras such as toiletries & tea & coffee making facilities are available the room. There was no mini-bar.
Breakfast was buffet style. There was no Maitre’d to guide you to a table when you arrive in the breakfast room so guests need to find a table themselves. It would be better if you are guided to a table and breakfast is served to you.
As this is a relatively new hotel I am surprised there are no fitness facilities. In order to attract more visitors they need to add a swimming pool, a gym and a beauty salon.
It is a very nice hotel with pleasant staff however I wouldn’t recommend to a friend due to the lack of facilities.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Stayed here for a wedding reception.The bar on the Sunday night (10 Aug) was staffed by the Rubik cube association. 5 or 6 on duty that night were more interested in the puzzle than the customers.
The room was fine, but meal and bar service were poor.
When checking out I missed the bit were I was asked if I would liked to be charged in Sterling, at a rate set by someone and an exchange rate mark up of 3.5%.I thought this was a mistake on my part in not hearing that I was offered a choice of currencies, but I know of one other that had his credit card debited in Sterling and he wasn't even present at the transaction....
I was going to use this Hotel again for a week but have decided to take my custom else where. I did send a complaint to the Hotel but as yet have not received a reply.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank super32x
Reviewed October 31, 2007

first impressions were great, the rooms are fabulous, with everything you need ;toiletries, iron ,tea making, bathrobes, bottled water etc...bathroom is spacious and overall the hotel is modern and newly built and spotlessly clean, and the staff were all very friendly.We stayed for a w/e special, 2 b&b and 1 dinner,the breakfast was brilliant, buffet style, plenty of staff offering more tea coffee etc..when we checked in we booked our evening meal for the next night and confirmed this again in passing when at reception (our room cards wouldn't work on the second day and we had to get them re programmed!) when at the restaraunt we were told they didn't have our booking and were full but would fit us in, there were lots of empty tables! then our menu was snatched back becuase we were on the set w/e menu, we had to ask for the wine list, my wife noticed that every body was given an aperative between courses except us, there was a delay with our main course when it did arrive my wifes sea bass was about 2 inch square ,when she told a waitress she said that the chef had shouted at her already tonight so she couldn't say anything. we were made to feel like an inconvenience. otherwise the food was good. this hotel could be top class, but an accumulation of small things brings it down, the door to the balcony wouldn't open and took two people to get it open, room cards wouldn't work 2nd day ,rooms were actualy quite cold, you could cool them with the air conditioning but you couldn''t heat it, the hotel is automaticaly heated throughout we were told. doors banged closed very loudly and theres nothing in the general surronding area .Some people could give it a five and some would give it 1 depending on your point of view.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 1, 2007

It's always the first impressions that stay with you when you visit a place for the first time and mine were a mixed bag.

I will attempt to highlight the positives of ech area of the hotel along with some negatives.

Golf Club - Champions Club

WOW. First impressions were that this is the best kept secret in Ireland - and I mean secret. You have to be a member (25,000 euro to join) or a hotel resident to play. We had the course to ourselves. A shame really considering how nice it is.

Staff in clubhouse are amazing. The pro is very good and the two gentlemen who show you around in the locker rooms are great.

No catering staff in clubhouse so we had to dine in the Hotel. Not a major problem at all considering we were staying there.

Reception and Staff

Easy check in - problems dealt with quickly - one lady there was not very good on computers and it took a long time to look up details for me.

Room

Had a very quiet room - not difficult as we seemed at times to be the only people staying there. Room was average size, if not a little bigger than normal. Good size clean bathroom and shower was quite weak I thought. Good ironing facilities, no mini-bar. Nice decor.

Bar

Bar was OK. Very cosmopolitan. Hard seating - no comfy couches. Table service OK. Some language problems when ordering food - one member of staff seems to be from eastern europe and communications were not easy - esp. when asking for something slighlty different to how it appeared on the menu.

Bar was pricey I felt - Guinness was €4 a pint and a glass of wine cost €6. Pint of Bud and a Gin and Tonic cost €10.

Restaurant.

Breakfast: Day one we were thrilled with the service we got. Small buffet of cereals etc. and then freshly cooked breakfasts from a menu that boasted omelettes, full irish, porridge, kippers etc. GREAT!!! NO - day two arrived and the menu was abandoned in favour of a mass buffet. This was a real let-down. Why build your guests expectations up and then revert to a bog standard buffet. It revereted to menu on day three and four - strange.

Dinner: Food was lovely and requests were adhered to. Be careful - the menus never change. Same old stuff night after night. We asked the waitress (who was excellent) if they ever changed and she said no!. Be careful if there on a Friday night as they do not have an A La Carte menu - they abandon it in favour of a Barbecue which is odd for a hotel that tries to have high standards.

Bizarre.

No Spa or pool - will be ready for end of 2008. We went to the Spa at Marriott Johnstown house instead - only 7 mins away by car.

This hotel has potential to be great but there are little things about it that I found strange.

Will go back again, but maybe in a couple of years when it is actually finished.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank slumped
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moyvalley
The Johnstown Estate Hotel
Killashee  - Hotel Spa Leisure
The Court Yard Hotel
The Court Yard Hotel
#1 of 4 in Leixlip

Been to Moyvalley Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!