“Wish we had stayed longer..”
Review of Martinstown House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in The Curragh
Martinstown House
Ranked #1 of 2 The Curragh B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Had a lovely stay here for a special family event. We had the place to ourselves and the youngest members of the party really enjoyed all the lovely open spaces and animals. The food was excellent, and the hosts did everything to make our stay great! The bedrooms and bathrooms are fabulous. I wish we had stayed for the whole weekend instead of just one night. Definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Moreholidaze

Reviewed March 28, 2011

My wife and I stayed here in on a Saturday night to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We don't get to spend much time away from our children, so we had very high expectations on our one night stay at Martinstown House. We were not disappointed.

The house is a gothic style hunting lodge, dating back to the 19th century. It is set on a farm, with beautiful grounds. Our room was absolutely stunning. Very large bed, with an enormous bathroom to the side. Furniture is old and rustic, so if you are into spic and span hotel furniture, it may not be for you. No TV either, so don't show up here hoping to watch Sky News or BBC World. There is a very quaint book selection all over the house, however.

We arrived a lot later than we had hoped, due to over-confidenct on my part. Finding the house is a little tricky, so it is best to print a map and/or get detailed directions. Edward and Roisín were very welcoming hosts, and showed us to our room very quickly (Edward actually met us as we got out of the car!). Edward noted that dinner would be at 7.45, and that he would be dining with us and a Canadian couple who were also staying there. I am sure we could have said we preferred to dine at a different table, but we were glad we didn't as the company was very nice at dinner. It was served in a very nice dining room, and the food was lovely (we had rack of lamb, garden vegetables and lovely fish starter, soup, chocolate mousse and cheese board).

Breakfast the next day was delicious. Served in the same room, but we eat by ourselves. We had a few hours to kill before heading back to Dublin, and our hosts offered us freedom to wander about the farm, look at the animals and even a tray of 6 eggs.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay. Maybe for acquired tastes, but if you are the type that likes old style houses, excellent service and lovely food; this is for you.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2010

A few years ago, my now-wife and I stayed at Martinstown House and fell in love with the place and with Edward and Roisin. We have returned several times and when we were pondering where to get married, we knew it was absolutely the right place.

As others have noted, it's a beautiful, characterful property, it has the loveliest atmosphere, and an utterly relaxing time can be expected. The cooking is wonderful, although you should be advised that you'd better have a good appetite if you want to do justice to breakfast - I defy anyone to eat everything on offer! Obviously this is not by any means a 'standard' hotel and you can expect a very individual experience, and to pay a fair amount for your comfort.

I cannot recommend Martinstown House highly enough, and the fact that my very particular wife entrusted our special day to Edward and Roisin, and that we were so fabulously looked after should, I hope, tell all Tripadvisor readers how highly we regard it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2010

What a beautiful house! Such a fantastic setting, and what welcoming service. The house is full of gorgeous antiques, super comfortable furniture and simply awesome beds. The bedroom was lovely: I haven't slept like this since I was a child.

Dinner was delicious, if a little heavy. We had a beautiful sitting room to ourselves, with a open fire. Breakfast was huge, fruit and cheese's for me and a full cooked for herself. Both were faultless.

It was such a peaceful, relaxing time. Such a change to the rest of our time in Ireland. I'm looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Oscars_Wild
Reviewed May 1, 2010

My partner and I stayed recently in Martinstown for 3 days while attending the Punchestown race meeting, it had been reccommended to my partner by a friend who has stayed there a number of times. We arrived quiet early as we wanted to "drop" and get racing, we were very warmly greeted by Roisin who very kindly offered us breakfast which we declined. After we checked in to our very genourous, comfortable, very well appointed (no tv thank God) room with a beautiful spacious bathroom, we returned downstairs to find a piping pot of "real" tea and some homemade biscuits, yum. We now realised that we were in for a special treat, this was not your normal luxury experience.

We then had to leave the tranquility of Martinstown, reluctantly, for the races, Roisin had very quickly organised a car. Had a super afternoons racing, caught up with some friends and didnt return until the wee hours of the morning. We sheepishly produced ourselves, much too late, for breakfast hoping for a slice of toast and a very strong coffee. However, the owners insisted we go to the dinning room for breakfast! A beautiful table for two in the bay window overlooking the gardens, birds singing and absolutely no other noise/distraction. Without question, the best breakfast i have ever had in any property in the world, fruits, cheeses, organic yogurts, pastries, cold meats, homemade preserves and the best cooked breakfast ever! We were in such bliss, we nipped back upstairs for a nap, heaven!

That evening, we returned to Martinstown for dinner at 8pm. We were told the menu before we left for Punchestown, yum and given the choice of our romantic bay window table or join the other guest at the main table. We went for the latter option and we thoroughly enjoyed the very fine company. Dinner itself was devine, I had spotted the Aga cooker earlier and it did not dissapoint, succulent crab, the best nettle soup, rib of beef cooked to perfection with yorkshire and simply the best roast spuds ever, yummy pud and far too much cheese! Retired to the drawing room, a little brandy by the roaring fire and "waddled" to bed.

Far too late for breakfast the next morning, those beds are just too good., excelent breakfast again. Then we had the pleasure of meetinf Edwards mum who joined us for some tea and gave us a wonderful history of this very fine house and some very entertaining other stories as well, most enjoyable as well. Off then for another days racing, great fun. Unfortunately, we had other plans for dinner that night so we couldnt dine in Martinstown, we met some friends in Nolans of nearby Kilcullen, very very good also.

I would never have heard of Martinstown only for a friend, truly the best of old fashioned hospitality, food, rooms, beds, gardens, tranquillity, great location, luxury, making Martinstown house a very special experience indeed. Not cheap, but excelent value, will be back very soon.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2010

I rang to book this hotel and half way through the conversation the call was dropped. I rang them again and left a message and my name and number and they were not polite enough to return my call. I also e mailed them and they never took the time to reply. We drove in to have a look at the place as we were curious about what this place with the appalling manners was like. It looks delapidated and needs to be painted and generally looked run down. We went on to stay in Roundwood house not far away and were blown away by the food, hospitality and general pleasant atmosphere and less than half the price. AVOID

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Fozzie80
Reviewed December 4, 2008

Our stay in Martinstown House was refreshing. My boyfriend and I spent just one night in the front of the house, and we had an excellent time. The beds were sumptious, the rooms clean and everybody was friendly. We didn't have the dinner, but the biscuits were homemade.. all very nice... Not at all like a hotel!
The location of the house was a little difficult to find though, and we did have to ring for directions, thus the 4 out of 5!

In all we are looking forward to returning next year..

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank wanderlust2903

Been to Martinstown House? Share your experiences!