Prince Hotel
Mrauk-U Hotel(Mrauk U)
  • Free Internet
TripAdvisor
All reviewspancakesfamily runother guestsmosquito netwonderful hostswhole familya great staygarden settingcharming placebikechinrentalmohingaoasisdormitoryrakhineburma
Reviewed December 11, 2013

The outstanding quality at Prince Hotel is the family who runs it, always eager to make your stay comfortable & meet your wishes. We stayed 5 nights in one of the superior bungalows, the room was huge, the beds were very comfortable, mozzie nets, good bedlinnen. The bathroom was a bit tired but overall clean, hot water in the morning & late afternoon early evening. No AC but you don't need it, nights are cool. Nice porch to sit on, they light mosquito coils at night. The food was great, some of the best meals we had in Myanmar, ate there every night. On the outskirt of the town, so you breathe a lot less smoke from the cooking fires in the morning & evenings. You can rent bikes, all is pedaling distance in Mrauk U.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Quebec_Abroad
Reviewed December 8, 2013

On my first night at the Prince the Manager met my boat and was really friendly, and they gave me a $20 single (though I had requested one of the bigger rooms) and the following day let me move to a larger 1/2 cabin (#101). I stayed for a week in total.

The first budget room had a lot of bugs in it, and the shower dripped all night, which meant that you get wet if you use the toilet. The walls are super-thin, and I could hear every word of my neighbors' conversations. There was good hot water, however.
The bigger room was much nicer, though the bathroom was dirty and in poor repair, and one set of windows wouldn't shut. In the bigger room I had no hot water for 6 days.
Some friends were coming to Mrauk U and asked that I book a room like mine for them, and I was embarrassed to find that while the price was the same, they were given a dirty, bug-infested and much smaller room, with a half-finished porch and no hot water. They moved to the hotel next door for the remainder of their stay and had a *much* nicer room for $5 more/night.

The best part of the Prince Hotel is the communal eating area, which was a great place to meet other travelers and where we formed a great evolving group of friends over the course of the week. However, eating almost exclusively there, at least 12/14 people got food poisoning, so I suspect that there are food sanitation issues.

The most disappointing part of my stay there was the tour to Chin villages with the hotel Manager. We spoke for a long time about what I did and didn't want: I take photographs but wanted an authentic experience and to understand the local culture and tradition of tattooing rather than just snapping photos of the women. What we got was a group of women hauled out -- two appeared very sick -- for us to take photos of. He had really limited ability to understand even simple questions like when they stopped doing the tattoos and in fact gave us a lot of incorrect information. There is another man there that gives tours who others said was much, much better. They were also very unprepared; there was very little water/food available for us, and half of our group ended up going back early with heat stroke, in spite of bringing their own water also.

The family that runs the hotel is very friendly and accommodating, but the manager seems too concerned with profit to genuinely help people. On the return to the dock, for example, he had a porter carry our bags to the boat and then charged us an extra 500 kyat each for them. Honestly, had he said so in advance it would have been no problem, but he told us *after* we'd paid for the tuk-tuk, so everyone had to get out all of our money again. He'll also tell you that they have to change money for you if you are going to do it in Mrauk U, at 900kyat/dollar (while the bank rate [there are none in Mrauk U] is 980kyat. I refused and was going to temporarily trade with friends until another staff member told me that there was a place that would change at 950/1 and kindly took me there. I believe that this is mostly an issue with the manager... the others were quite helpful.

Laundry there is fast and cheap, but your clothes will not get cleaned. I sent one shirt in 3 times and it still was as if it had not been laundered.

On the whole I enjoyed my time at the Prince, mostly because it is out of the way and quiet with a friendly independent traveler vibe. If i had it to do over, though, I'd choose the property next door, where my friends were much happier. I spent some time there as well and the staff were incredible.

Room Tip: 101/102 are the nicest. The other cabins are much worse and should be valued much lower IMO.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank onimity
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We had a lovely room right next to the road, 3 single beds with mozzie nets, big and clean with a lovely big deck out the front.
The owner was not there as the hotel was officially closed due to the travel ban.
Breakfast was pancakes and eggs, coffee and green tea and was plenty to set us up for a day of sightseeing.
We had dinner there in the evenings, and they asked what we liked before we left and would get it fresh from the markets, both nights we had gorgeous fresh fish cooked local style with lots of little side dishes, including some miniature potatoes which were delicious, the meals were amazing.
The owner was in Yangon (as the hotel was officially closed) but the rest of the family looked after us really well, the son (teenager) has really good English so we translated everything through him. We spent a lot of time with the family and playing with the kids they are all delightful.
I had booked on Agoda back in November and luckily they honored the booking, see link below for a full update on how we got there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tattooed_diver
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The Prince Hotel is a family owned hotel and the family is one of the best parts of the experience! Unlike larger hotels, staying at the Prince is like staying with family, the whole staff is friendly and very personal, they are happy to help you with any need you have. They can also taylor make any adventure you would like and the Owner is a great resources to see real Rakhine life and culture.

The Bungalows of the hotel are set back in a natural garden on the clef of a hill. In the morning, sitting on the porch with a cup of tea or breakfast is one of the most relaxing things you can do. The food is amazing and the owners wife makes some great Banana Pancakes with a local taste. Within the Hotel grounds you can see an assortment of beautiful plants and fruits. The owner has a passion for agriculture and it's always great conversation to talk with him about the various plants and wildlife in the area.

Each room is secluded and private with a private porch. The rooms have hot showers (coming from a eco friendly water heater (ask the owner how it works! and while you're at it check out the generator that runs on cow dung :-)) The beds are large and comfortable, there is not aircon but the hotel is located in the shade of a hill which provides for a cool night sleep.

It's great to clime the hill behind the hotel for a beautiful view of the sunset or sunrise over the many pagodas that spot the landscape.

I could go on much longer about the Prince,I have stayed there 4 time, but I think it's better that you experience it yourself. Just Go! Make Friends! and Make Memories!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank AWT0014
Reviewed November 14, 2012

As others have already said, this small hotel has simple but spacious rooms, with high ceilings and a large bathroom. There was a powerful ceiling fan in the room I stayed in, and mosquito nets covered the comfortable beds. The room also had a veranda/deck with seating and a small table. The whole hotel is in a garden setting.

It is family run and the owner speaks excellent English; the whole family team work together to provide great and friendly service, and the dinner here, consisting of a Myanmar-style curry based around an expertly filleted whole fish, was the best meal I had in Myanmar. If you like conversation with other guests, there's a long dinner table where everyone can eat together. Alternatively you can have your own table.

Unlike most hotels in Myanmar, this place can be booked online (Agoda and possibly soon on Wotif too) which is very handy - however due to flaky internet connections at times, the owners ask that you book at least several days in advance if possible.

Overall thoroughly recommended: a little oasis in a remote part of Myanmar.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo