“Interesting but perhaps not worth the price...”

The Phoenix Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had dinner there - it was okay but perhaps a bit overpriced. The portions were a bit small, although I did appreciate they had pasta on the kid's menu (although I did NOT tell my young kids it had smelt in it instead of wheat); we all enjoyed the pasta. My husband found the spice level to be quiet low.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have visited the Phoenix a few times for lunch and dinner and have enjoyed the food and hospitality equally every time. It is a bit out of the way so you may have to make a special effort to go there but worth it for good food and ambience. It is a situated a few miles between Inch Strand & Castleisland, set in very relaxing gardens with old gypsy caravans which are used as a novel accommodation for the free spirited. The service is warm, considerate and friendly and they are very accommodating to children who will enjoy exploring the nooks and crannies. The food is a tasty collection of ethnic vegetarian and seafood dishes. I think that some of the ingredients are taken from their on-site garden and the food tastes all the better for it.There are tapas selections along with heartier main dishes ranging from very interesting salads to stuffed vine leaves, curries and quinoa bakes. They have a small collection of sweet treats (muffins, tarts & Florentines for instance) which seem to be adapted from afternoon tea-type stuff rather than classic desserts but they work well enough and are delicious if a bit unorthodox. They also have a limited collection of organic wine, beer & soft drinks.
There are one or two small criticisms- the food is a little pricey (mains are around €20 ish and starters & desserts are a bit over the usual price too). I think they should bring the prices down a few quid to acknowledge that we are all living in a recession and this would enable customers to eat there a bit more regularly. The second point is that I have arrived there on a couple of occasions having driven out of my way to get there only to find that they have decided not to open on that day. Enquiries about opening hours give a vague answer so my tip is always ring in advance to save yourself disappointment and inconvenience. In fairness I suspect the opening hours have something to do with not being in a main tourist town but in a more rural setting. The overheads may be too high for a typical opening arrangement, but the customer does need to know when they will be open to avail of their service. Others have told me they had similar experiences and have elected to have dinner or lunch at other venues closer to Inch to save themselves a wasted journey, which is a real shame.
Overall you will certainly enjoy this restaurant for it's laid back but attentive atmosphere and delicious hearty food with little unusual touches here and there..... and if you don't leave contented and relaxed I would be very surprised!

Reviewed June 8, 2013

6 weeks ago, my friend and I had a wonderful experience in the Phoenix restaurant, which is situated outside Castleisland. Vegetarean at its best. Organic wine. Elderflower cordial, home grown vegetables on site.
The service was friendly and efficient, the ambience, inviting and relaxing. A real find.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

After two full weeks in Ireland, my wife and I were craving quality vegetarian food and found it at Phoenix. We weren't too hungry but could not refuse to try the great soup and entrees. We ended up buying the cookbook and the recipes are quite good. the decor is straight out of 1960's Haight Ashbury in San Francisco. Definitely worth trying on your way to the Dingle Perninsula

Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed 6 nights at The Phoenix, ate breakfast there each day, and had 4 dinners. The room was great - comfortable with a view up to the mts., nice shower, and quiet. After driving about on the Irish roads each day, it was wonderful to know we would have a great night's sleep to do it all again.
My wife eats a macrobiotic diet here in the States and we were concerned about finding places where she could comfortably eat. No worries! In Dublin, Bantry, and especially at The Phoenix, we found well-prepared and delicious foods. The staff of The Phoenix took extra good care of Rose and she left the table each morning and after each dinner quite full. When we go back to revisit the Emerald Isle, we will absolutely stay and eat again at this marvelous place!

1  Thank Joseph C