“Good place”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ballyliffin
Castlebar, Ireland
“Good place”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I booked two nights here b&b for my family. The place was very good, clean with a somewhat friendly staff. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I always felt like I was intruding when I approached the front desk. They were not unfriendly, but just not happy.
The pool is great and the facilities excellent. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The area is a great place to visit. They even had kids activities in the evening!

Room Tip: Be sure you ask for a room with a view. We didn't and missed out
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Andrew K
JoDoherty, Customer Care at Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments. Thank you for your lovely comments on our hotel. I am sorry if you felt you were intruding on the front desk, I can assure you as a guest you should never feel you are intruding on the front desk. Your recommendations are very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming your family back again soon. Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Lendelede, Belgium
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We spent two nights at the lodge and it's definitively a lodge to stay for a longer period.
From the hotel it's only a five minutes drive to the 2 Ballyliffin golf courses. Real golfers will love the courses.
The lodge is ideally located to visit Inishowen and to drive to Malin Head.
The rooms are spacious and very clean. The staff is friendly and very helpful.
The only remark I have is about the bar. It's not a cosy bar. To much noice and light.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank filip_rosselle
Dear Guest, thank you for posting your review on trip advisor. Ballyliffin Is a fantastic base to explore Inishowen with all the beautiful scenic attractions we have on our door step. Thank you for your compliments on our hotel and I am sorry you felt Jacks bar wasn’t cozy. We look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay again. Best wishes.
Ballymena, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Me and my wife got married here on 12th August and I must say it was everything we wanted and more. Breda was very helpful in the run up to the wedding and Caroline couldn't have done anymore for us on the day. The food and service at the wedding was excellent and a lot of our guests commented on this and say they will be back to stay at the hotel at some point. Ballyliffin really is a beautiful place and I would advise anyone looking a relaxing stay in Donegal to consider this hotel. My wife and I will defiantly be back to stay in the near future. Thanks for making our day special.
Darren & April

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Darren and April, thank you for taking the time to share your comments on trip advisor and thank you for hosting our wedding at the Ballyliffin Lodge, I am delighted that your special day lived up to your expectations . I will certainly share your comments with all the team and wish you all the very best for the future. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Best Regards.
Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Attended a wedding here recently. The food was excellent and got tops marks from everyone in our group. The staff were helpful and courteous and the bar/foyer area was very comfortable. Would recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank KopGar
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor, I am delighted that you enjoyed the wedding here recently. Your kind comments on our food and staff are very much appreciated. Best Regards from all the team
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We haven't been to Ballyliffin in quite a while for Sunday Lunch and so decided to book the Ballyliffin Lodge as a lot of our family and friends had highly recommended the hotels Sunday Lunch offerings. On reflection of our experiences I thought I would leave a review to commend the chefs for their amazing food, but also to explain how the lack of customer service during our meal put a downer on the overall experience.

SERVICE
When we arrived we were shown to our seats but there was no drink order taken which was disappointing. We ordered drinks at the bar and the kind lady offered to bring them to the table for us which was great. After the starter our empty plates remained on the table and after the main course. My drink glass was empty before I began my main course and nobody offered me another drink, the perfect opportunity to up-sell me some drinks as I was thirsty!! There was a gentleman in the room who appeared to be the manager - who once we finished our desserts came over and swiftly cleared the table and run off into the kitchen. Working in Hospitality Management & Training myself, I could not understand why he would not even ask if we enjoyed our meal or even gesture a smile at us? It was not acceptable service. Not to mention the folding, unfolding and banging of table legs beside our table. The service just made us feel rushed and un-welcome which I am sure isn't the intention.

FOOD
The food was brilliant, of very high quality and also piping hot!! The choices were great, the meats and accompaniments were fabulous and the chefs and kitchen staff definitely saved the day!! The turkey and ham was among the best I have ever had. The service at the carvery and dessert area was great and the chefs/servers had great personality.

I suppose everyone/everywhere has their bad days but with so many places out their offering excellent food coupled with professional service I am afraid my experience would persuade me to find somewhere a bit closer to home next Sunday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Niall D
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind compliments on our food at our Sunday Carvery, we welcome all feedback from our customers but It is disappointing to read that the service let you down on your visit here. This is not the norm so I can only apologies that you received such poor service. I have passed your comments on to the food and beverage manager who will address with her team. I hope that you might reconsider and return to the lodge again soon.
Northern Ireland
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed here for one night and asked for a nice quiet room and was told no problem. On arrival we were given a 'nice' room up in the roof with a good view. On the bedside was complimentary ear plugs with two chocolates and a card telling us the hotel can be quite noisy at time which started alarm bells ringing. There was a wedding arriving in the afternoon and when we looked out our window we were looking down into the room were the wedding was. To cut a long story short at 12.30 in the morn I had to phone and ask wat time music ended at and was told by a porter there was nothing he could do and I should have been informed there was a wedding. The thumping noise of the disco went on to 2am and it wasn't the nice relaxing break in a nice quiet village we expected. Got up the next morn drained and only an apology. Our planned day of touring was ruined, so thank you Ballyliffin Lodge we wont be back. So beware if you think your lucky enough to get a late booking because it prob means that all the wedding guests are not staying and they have released their rooms. O, and not even a biscuit on the tea tray which I have got in 3 star hotels and this claims to be a 4 star. If your a big tea or coffee drinker then bring your own sugar and milk as they only provided for one cup each. So disappointed as I had been reading all the good reviews.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JoDoherty, Customer Care at Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for posting your feeback on your recent stay with us. I am very sorry you did not enjoy your visit here with us. It’s an extremely busy week here in Clonmany with the festival and the holiday period. It is one of the busiest weeks in the year with weddings everyday here in the Lodge. As we are a small hotel noise travels easily and we inform all guests in advance when we have a wedding because of this reason, we also provide sleep kits for all guests with ear plugs to use if required. We do not provide biscuits in our guest rooms but additional supplies of tea/coffee could have been provided had we have known. A Room charge was taken off your bill as a gesture on departure also and I am sorry if you didn’t get to enjoy your day touring as Inishowen has many beautiful attractions. I hope you will come back to visit again soon.
Portstewart N.Ireland
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Our grown up children had given us a voucher for this hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary. That was in 2011! There was always a reason why we couldn't go. Work commitments, a dog who couldn't be left, too busy in Summer, local places of interest not open at other times. The reception staff were very accommodating in that they extended the voucher time and again. We were on first name terms after eighteen months.
Eventually we set a date and went for an Anniversary Special in the Spa. We arrived in good time, gave the dog a quick walk, and presented ourselves at Reception, from where we were directed downstairs to don a robe and slippers. We were then directed to a room where two massage couches were side by side. I was a bit nonplussed by this as we had had some very un-anniversary words on the journey up, and I had been looking forward to spending 90 minutes apart!
That was fine, so we were left to disrobe and get under our respective blankets on our beds, but my husband, being a fidget, got up again to explore the room. I explained that the girls would be back very soon, so he returned, but not before the delightful young ladies returned. "Sorry", he said, "We've just finished", by which he meant that we had divested ourselves of the robes, but I was very glad of the little face hole in the couch and managed to stifle my sniggers! What the girls thought of their late sixties clients I dread to think!
Anyway, we then had an hour and a half of the most relaxing massage and foot treatment ever, (and I've had lots). It was absolutely amazing, and the staff were so pleasant.
We didn't have an opportunity to eat, but I spoke to an American family who had and they were very vociferous in their praise of the staff, the service, the food and the price.
A great experience and highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kiltie59
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful review on the Rock Crystal Spa, It sounds as if you had an amazing experience in our spa. I’m sure the spa therapists will enjoy your comments! I will certainly be passing them on to the girls there. We hope you return again soon and perhaps enjoy a longer break with an overnight so you can enjoy the full Ballyliffin Lodge experience. Best Wishes from all the team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyliffin
Ballyliffin Hotel
#4 of 4 in Ballyliffin
Shandon Hotel and Spa
Shandon Hotel and Spa
#1 of 1 in Portnablagh

Been to Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!