“Trip to Ballyliffin”

Description: Also acts as a small hotel
Cobh, Ireland
“Trip to Ballyliffin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

This hotel and bar have been renamed to the Town House bar & Restaurant. The Manager, Phil is more than helpful to ensure customers are more than comfortable in the establishments very lavish environment. The breakfast is elegant and tasty as is the lunch / evening menu although a little pricey for the steaks. Great beers and enclosed smoking area. I really enjoyed this place and will visit again.

• Visited August 2014

Chillychucky
“Closed! What a shame”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

Sign of the times but really disappointed to see this place closed. Great memories!

Visited December 2011
Ireland
“Trasna House is now closed!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

Always enjoyed the Trasna... good food and prices, particularly in more recent times. However Im afraid that despite this the place is now closed!

Visited June 2011
donegal
“Excellent local food in a warm and friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

The Trasna Hotel is fast becoming one of the favourite spots in Inishowen to go for a meal. Since Gary McPeake took over in the kitchen, I have never been disappointed with any meal I have had there….and I like me grub. What I particularly love about eating in the Trasna is the care and attention that is given to everything on the plate, (and not just the slab of meat, which a lot of chefs seem to think is the only thing a customer needs to taste.) I only eat fish, and I love a good variety of vegetables. Gary sources all the fish and vegetables locally, and cooks them in a way that respects the flavours that nature intended them to have. Whether it be cod, salmon or sea bass, whether it be puréed sweet potatoes or good dollop of a haute cuisine version of ‘rumblethump’, I am always delighted with whatever I choose. Gary also knows his wines, and is always willing to make recommendations. The last time I was in there, Gary happened not to have any fish on the menu, and between himself and Madeleine, the head waitress, they contrived that he would ‘rustle me up’ some pan fried brill with crab and pea risotto. (It sounded so good, my mother begged a bit as well.) It was absolutely delicious, and the vegetables were cooked to perfection. The fact that not once was I made to feel that I had caused any inconvenience whatsoever is testimony to Gary’s skill and versatility as a chef. I should also mention that Madeleine is a gem. She has a lovely relaxed, down-to-earth friendliness, and an easy efficiency, that makes every customer feel valued and welcome. Some of the stuffier establishments would do well to take a leaf out of her book. And, ever-mindful of ‘the current climate’, they strive to give value for money. In these days of penny-pinching and economic depression, a meal in the Trasna is one of the few things that still manages to entice me out and cheer me up!

• Visited February 2011
padova
“excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

We have been there for dinner and we enjoyed irish dishes, and we had the honour to be "judges" for an italian-style lamb, prepared by the Chef mr. Gary. Everything was delicious and the staff is gentle and friendly, expecially Mrs. Madeline. We suggest anyone going to Ireland to visit Donegal County and this restaurant.
Emanuele & Alessia from Italy