“Wonderful stay”
Review of Frewin House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ramelton
Frewin House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ramelton
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We had a wonderful night's stay at Frewin House. We were greeted by the lovely Regina on arrival who served us tea by the big open fire in the library which was just perfect to relax after the journey. We stayed in the beautifully adorned Glas room with its adjoining lounge and lovely views of the gardens and we were very comfortable. It's not a far walk to the centre of the town but Regina kindly dropped us in for dinner at The Bridge and we finished our evening with a glass too many of red wine in the Wine Bar with the gracious host James. Breakfast in the morning was a splendid affair with a huge spread of fruit, cereals, homemade breads and freshly squeezed orange juice followed by the full Irish. The house is tastefully decorated with great antiques and the warmth of the family flows throughout. Thank you :)

Room Tip: Glas is a lovely room :)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Frewin House

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I just returned from a recent visit to Donegal. I travel frequently to this corner of the world as my grandmother came from the area outside of Letterkenny. When visiting, I always stay at Frewin and have now visited more times than I count. I've also recommended Frewin to my family so I'm pleased to report that the Coyles have played host to other various Cahill members throughout the years. Frewin has become a home away from home for us during these trips and I couldn't imagine traveling to this region without Frewin. Regina is like a long lost friend, always ready with a warm and familiar greeting. She and Thomas and their children could not be more gracious and welcoming, always. Above and beyond a generous welcome, Frewin offers an absolutely charming and inviting home, filled with wonderful furnishings, antiques, books and art. There is evidence that a real family lives, works and cares for this home and its history and the surrounding area. Having had many conversations with both Thomas and Regina over the years, I know that they are both firmly committed to treasuring and preserving the unique, the historic and the character filled Irish traditions that seem so elusive these days, whether in their home cooking, their care for their home and of course their genuine hospitality. I'm hard pressed to think of time better spent than sitting in Regina's library, sipping tea in front of the peet fire. The meals are out of this world. I'm literally still daydreaming about Regina's breakfast weeks later. If only I could awaken in NY with a similar fuel for my day. We also try to eat dinner at Frewin as often as possible. Another wonderful treat and the best way to spend an evening, post tea in the library and before climbing upstairs to a cozy Frewin bed. Having visited this area often, I can also report that Ramelton is an ideal base for touring the highlights of Donegal. Ramelton itself is a beautiful, well preserved and scenic town. Glenveigh National Park and Castle are close by, as is Derek Hills home, Glebe House. Both are worthy attractions, worth considerable time and many repeat visits. Again, Ramelton is the perfect base for touring and Frewin could not be a better home away from home when visiting. My sincere thanks to Thomas, Regina and their children. Looking forward to many more visits. Christina

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2013

If working in Donegal I always try and stay here, some times I am unlucky and have to stay elsewhere - its just great on every level.
Easy access to all Donegal, friendly owners, a magnificent house and a great selecting of individual rooms. The house was a rectors house and the owners have retained the character of a bygone day's - while giving the visitor expected levels of service and comfort. The family style seating in the breakfast room leads to some very interesting conversations.

Room Tip: All rooms are differenty, enjoy
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2012

A peaceful tranquil spot to relax and unwind. House full of character and lovingly restored, hosts extremely friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. Food first class from the breakfast to afternoon tea to four course dinners. The tranquility is special with no piped music, flat screen TV's or wi fi. All in all unforgettable and a real gem

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gordy1952
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We recently spent two nights in Frewin House. It is a lovingly restored old country house. Regina, our host, obviously enjoys what she does (and does it so well). We stayed in a large room, with a sitting room. It was extremely comfortable. Regina and Thomas and Jessie warmly welcomed us upon our arrival and continued to make us feel at home during our stay. Breakfasts were excellent - homemade breads and a sumptuous buffet to accompany the cooked foods. We were served excellent meals with much thought given to presentation, always china, always fresh flowers, always ironed cloth napkins. We ate dinner one night and found it too delicious. We are from the U.S. this is our 4th visit to Ireland,but our first in the north. We recommend highly the area and especially this beautiful guest house.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sonshine71
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Dining to the light of 18 candles, beautiful food, wonderful service. Bedroom at least five star rating (linen sheets and crocheted pillow slips). And above all the warmth and kindness of the hosts made this an unforgettable stay.
Maybe the quality of the wine could be improved, guests would be very happy to pay appropriately.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MireiaSDublin
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I recently stayed at Frewin House. I've stayed there several times in the past and have come to look forward to returning there again and again. The house could not be lovelier and the location ideal for exploring this very special corner of Donegal. The decor of the house is incredibly tasteful and the rooms are filled with antiques and art which combine to make one feel at home and infinitely comfortable. Hard to leave the little sitting room, let alone the house. Regina's breakfasts are beyond description. Suffice to say my tummy was quite content throughout my stay. Regina, Thomas and their children make for charming and welcoming hosts and hostesses. I almost feel as though I'm returning to pay a visit to old friends every time I return to Ramelton and to Frewin. In short, I adore staying with the Coyles and cannot wait for my next visit which I hope will be much sooner than later.

Christina

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramelton
Mulroy Woods Hotel
#1 of 4 in Buncrana
Dillons Hotel
Dillons Hotel
#2 of 12 in Letterkenny

Been to Frewin House? Share your experiences!