“great visit to fine hotel”

Caisleain Oir Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Annagry
uk
“great visit to fine hotel”
Reviewed April 25, 2010

We were here at a wedding guest so can't comment on the rooms - although I would imagine they are fine. This is not a chain type hotel and is all the better for it. The owner was working throughout and the staff were very friendly and good at their jobs. The food for such a large gathering was excellent , hot and served professionally. They had choices of 2 starters, 3 mains, 2 desserts - and at our table all diners were well satisfied. And the bread! It was beautiful and we were told it was guinness and walnut. It should be served in every hotel in Ireland. Anyway, we partyed until late and a good time was had by all. Its good to see a business like this doing things right and they deserve continued success in these difficult times. When we are again in Donegal we will have no hesitation in staying there and also remember this is a beautiful part of the country. Did I mention the bread??

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank goodtime4us

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Polish first
Cork
Reviewed April 23, 2010

Spent Easter weekend here and was amazed once again at the hospitality on offer. great atmosphere and great food, The staff ( most of whom spoke Irish) were all very friendly and it was nice to see the owner's of the place working also. The rooms are basic but clean, tidy and have an amazing view over the bay. There is a blue flag beach near by which is heaven on earth as the weather was amazing. There was live music both nights and the restaurant was full with locals which is always a good sign. The best thing for me is the breakfast here is great. I really don't like buffet breakfast (maybe its me) but they served the entire breakfast to the table. The breakfast menu has the usual fry's and also fresh fish and Kippers(not for me but my partner love it)?!?!? Smoked Salmon & Scrambled egg, Poached Egg's with Home made pancakes, bacon and maple syrup. really nice cooked to order choices. great stay great place great friends,will definately return

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Corkboy29
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 12, 2010

I stayed here with my partner for one night. We were staying to attend a surprise birthday party which was being held in the bar at the hotel.
The rooms were very nice and very clean. The view from the bedrooms was amazing.
The staff were very friendly. I had traveled on a motorbike and did not want it left on the street and so they opened up the back door and let me keep it in the storage yard.

The breakfast is very nice with several good options. And the friendly staff are not strict with the timings so they don't mind waiting a bit if your late getting up from the night before.
Really enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
county down
Reviewed January 3, 2010

We decided to beat the post holiday blues and celebrate my birthday in one of our favourite areas in the world and booked a hotel break in Caisleain Oir. this was our 1st hotel stay in the 10 or so years we have visited Donegal and we weren't disappointed. the area is legendary and although careful driving was needed due to the permafrost, it gave the surrounding countryside a magical ambience. Snow covered Mount Errigle has to be seen to be believed.
The hotel had the friendliest and most helpful staff imaginable. The room was clean and comfortable. The food was fantastic but be warned not to order a 3 course meal...unless you haven't eaten for a month. I had a starter of mussels that would have fed a family!
the only blip on the radar was the noise created by a few revellers reluctant to accept the end of the holiday season as they waited for their taxis home, but no way a major issue.
We will definitely revisit here as it's facilities, staff included and location were just perfect.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Just back after spending the weekend here at this hotel and I must say I thought that Ireland had lost all hospitality but it is nice to see a place that is owned and operated by a family. We recieved a text offer for a weekend break for €89 each including a fabulous meal on sat night. My husband could not believe the size of the steaks, which he loves. The rooms are comfortable and the locals bar was quite busy with food which is always a good sign. There s a lot to see and do in the area to relax and unwind, especally the local beach. But for us what stood out was the genuine hospitality on offer, with good food and comfortable surroundings

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed October 18, 2009

I am just returning from a midweek break in Donegal. Friends of ours had recommended Caisleain Oir hotel for a break. Upon entering the hotel we were greeted by a kind young gentleman who checked us in and then helped us with our bags to our room. The rooms were lovely and warm and had a very homely factor about them. On our first evening we decided to sample the hotels food. The menu is very extensive and i would class it as an a la carte menu more than a bar menu. We were spoiled for choice with the selection of seafood and meat dishes. I decided to have the fillet steak and my husband had the cod. Absolutely amazing food and great service in the warm friendly bar.
The freshly cooked breakfast the following morning was wonderful and set us up for a day touring around Donegal. This evening we also decided to dine in the bar again and i can recommend everything on the menu.
The bar is good fun in the evenings with the locals having a few pints and local banter. Good luck trying to understand some of the irish.

Overall thank you the the staff and management of the hotel. We had a lovely Midweek break and will definitely be back again

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Just unlucky with the room I got. At end of hotel, room 119. Could not sleep with noise coming from pump or air conditioning unit in service yard. Sounded like a chopper hovering all night. There is also a lot of noise from road to the front of the hotel. Joyriders zooming up and down for part of the night. Tyre marks on road throughout the village next morning as I was leaving. Nothing for kids to do in hotel, in fact told by member of staff to make sure my son wore his shoes when we were having a drink in the lobby at 7pm as there might be glass on the floor as there was a raucous after a disco the previous night. Another thing that kept me awake!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank AAD52
Also consider these accommodations in or near Annagry
Harvey's Point
Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny
Dillons Hotel
Dillons Hotel
#2 of 12 in Letterkenny

Been to Caisleain Oir Hotel? Share your experiences!