“Best two days of my trip!”
Review of Unique Ascent

Unique Ascent
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Annagry
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We provide exceptional outdoor adventure holidays, outdoor activities and mountain training with a difference. We offer a full range of courses and guided packages including hill walking, mountaineering, rock climbing, abseiling, coastaleering and sea stack ascents along the coast and mountain ranges of Co. Donegal in Ireland's North West. We provide both tailor made instructional/guided packages, group taster sessions.Packages include:- Guided Rock Climbing in Donegal Instruction Rock Climbing Courses Guided Hill Walking Holidays Multi Adventure Activities
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I cannot emphasize enough how much of a wonderful experience it was climbing with Iain and a trainee instructor, Andy. I felt that the climbing was well tailored to my skill and knowledge level. He provided a lot of instruction in addition to setting up the climbs, which was very nice in furthering my own climbing abilities.

The places Iain took me for climbing were incredible! Highlights included the "most remote corner in Ireland," and climbing above four story high waves. This location was just breathtaking!

Iain was very knowledgeable about the area and has clearly dedicated many years to exploring the various cliffs. Whether you are a beginner or experienced climber, I would definitely recommend a trip to Donegal's coastline with Iain!

All reviews
"weather conditions"
"professional approach"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend decided to try this out, we had no climbing experience at all. Iain and Oscar were great company the whole day which made the experience even greater. The views we seen were unbelievable. everyone should add this to their bucket list, hopefully we'll be back again some day

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Turquoise waters, a beach of white stones, a sea stack looming 100's of feet above us and we climbed it; sea gulls circling our heads and the waves gently crashing below!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Looking for a day with a Difference? I was. A Real Get away from it all day. Where you won't see another soul once you leave the road (Really). Unique Descent will Deliver.
Many Activity Providers will offer Coastal Rockclimbing but if you want a step up and AWAY from it all the answer is SEASTACKS. This was my goal: to stand atop one of these majestic stacks.
Our coastline has many of these Hidden Gems that require just that little bit of extra effort to get there. Our party of four consisted of Ursula, myself, Iain and our canine friend Oscar who mocked us with the ease he flew uphill and descended steep ground. Fit as a fiddle and accustomed to accompanying his owner Iain Miller from Unique Ascent who was our guide for the day. Oscar guarded our abandoned surplus gear left on the storm beach from any stray mermaids! Nobody else about. Actually he fell asleep while we climbed the Stack.
I would love to have the speed and agility Oscar displayed mind you I was hampered by my choice of bag, a large dry bag that was carrying all the gear that COULD be required. Was so Glad to ditch it when we got to the storm beach.
The weather was perfect, sunny with a little breeze but when you want to climb an offshore sea stack you are at the Mercy of the Sea. And Boy there was a BIG SWELL rolling in. So we had to change plan.
Our new objective was Tent Stack which was closer to shore and more approachable.
Iain had a blow up dinghy that he uses to get to the stack and it needed to be launched with careful timing. Rather large waves were smashing in with some force and sucking the stones back out from beneath our feet. A brief lull and then another set would approach.

So when the time was right - No hanging about, jump in , hang on tight for quick crossing and jump out as quick as possible.
The Stack itself wasn't difficult to climb. It was amazing to stand alone in turn, high up on the tiny summit surrounded by the powerful ocean and the seabirds. The only sounds were what nature provided. Thousands of stones pulled by the retreating waves was a unique sound and the calls of the birds who were surprised to see us in their domain. You won't get a more organic experience than this. I was HAPPY OUT!
Highly Recommended

See more reviews
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I really couldn't ask for more during our camp out. It was almost like we had a little taste of everything. The weather, cold, rainy (or as Iain likes to call it - low lying clouds) and really windy! We were really doubtful that we would be able to carry out the activities we had been looking forward to. Thankfully we didn't let the weather stop us - cause if we depended on it, we would never get anything done. Wise words from Iain that I will keep with me for a long time to come.

We had a great time despite the rain, it was a different experience climbing so close to crashing waves. The routes were reasonably graded and provided sufficient challenge for all of us. As if it wasn't good enough, it was topped off with a Tyrolean Traverse. I swear it was fantastic. The view and the feeling of flying through two cliffs is just pure addiction. Couldn't have asked for more experienced guides and better cheerful company (yes this includes Oscar the dog whom I must say is a much better climber than all of us are - indeed two legs good, four legs better).

Thanks again guys. We really hope we can come back again for more crazy climbs!