“Never again”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rawsonville
Slanghoek Mountain Resort
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Never again”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My review of Slanghoek Mountain Resort begins a week prior to our arrival.

We had booked to Camp over the September school holidays, as we were getting closer to the time we were watching the weather channels closely. It seemed as the weather was going to be terrible for the time we had booked for. So we mailed Natasha at Slanghoek, requesting a date change, we were informed we could change dates but would lose our deposit of R1470. No matter how much we begged and tried to reason with her she refused to budge stating Slanghoek can’t control the weather. Losing R1470 is not an option for my family. We decided to brave the elements.
On the Friday prior to our arrival, my wife spoke with one of the reception ladies and requested an early check in of 12h00 instead of the normal 14h00, this was confirmed by the receptionist. We arrived at Slanghoek Mountain resort at around 11h50 on the Monday morning ready to check in, only to be greeted by a very unfriendly Natasha, in fact she never even greeted my wife properly, she merely looked up and said “Yes?”, she refused to allow us an early check in as was previously arranged citing that the cleaners had to clean the toilets (it was two bathrooms? How long could this take, long as we later found out, but I’ll get back to that).
This inconvenience meant we had to occupy ourselves and our young children for 2 hours. Eventually we checked in at 14h00, during check in I enquired as to the horse rides for the kids, something they had been especially looking forward to, only to be told by Natasha “There are no horse rides during winter” firstly there is no notice of this on the website nor on any docs sent to us, secondly, we were at the end of September, yes the weather wasn’t great but it certainly wasn’t winter.
I had enquired about the fishing prior to our booking, as I am an avid fisherman, and was informed there are two dams in which to fish, both have Bass. I then enquired about the dam for fishing, for which Natasha gave me directions, on the left as you enter the campsite. Great at least we could do some Bass fishing.

We proceeded down to the campsite, which the drive to wasn’t great as it was very muddy and wet, I was afraid at one point my car would get stuck in said mud, not Slanghoeks fault here due to the weather but they could have laid straw or sawdust on the farm tracks to absorb most of the moisture.
The campsite looked fantastic, wide open grass area, private ablutions, however the swing bridge crossing the river was down most likely due to the high rainfall, again not Slanghoeks fault however it seemed it had been down for a while and no attempt to repair it had occurred. The kids wanted to play in the river, as I took them down to the rivers edge, we were greeted with empty beer bottles, discarded chip packets and other domestic rubbish, this rubbish had been dumped. I then had to clean the area to ensure my childrens safety.

I decided to scout the dam for an early morning fishing the next day. Being generous, I would say there was about 3 square meters of visible surface water, the rest of the dam was cover in very thick duck weed, even if I was using a 16oz sinker, I don’t think it would have penetrated the thick covering of weed. In fact I’m not even sure a fish could survive under that load of oxygen eating weed. This is a simple maintenance issue which was highly disappointing.

We decided to leave a day early as the Campsite totally emptied on the second day of our stay and with there being no security or adequate fencing around the camp, we did feel quite vulnerable on the second night.
I said I’d get back to the cleaners, while we were packing up the cleaners arrived at the ablution (Toilet, shower and sink) behind our camp, we dismantled our tents, showered, cooked breakfast, packed the car of all camping gear and the four “cleaners” yes four were still busy in the one ablution about the size of your average family bathroom, how four of them even managed to fit inside was beyond me, but at least this explains why it takes so long to clean the ablutions.

Overall the camping was great, there is electricity and hot water. But would I return? NEVER, and I would recommend to fellow members of my fishing and camping clubs to stay well clear of this establishment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Louis220871
Sakkie d, Owner at Slanghoek Mountain Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you Louis for your long review. It is clear to me that you came to this resort to nail us as far as you can, (with 10 complaints and two positives), because you could not have your way and you do not want to accept our cancellation policy. We did not accept your cancellation and we didn't want to refund you. It is a pity that you use this wonderful site for this dirty action.

Let me handle your complaints one by one:
1. Cancellation: This is policy.We cannot just move bookings and if we do, we will only move a booking if there are availability. Otherwise you lose your deposit. We are fully booked for most of the weekends and school holidays. Strange that such a resort is so popular!
2. Early Check in: This is policy. There are times to check in and times to check out. This is to protect the customer and the staff.
3. Unfriendly Natasha: I will speak to her about this.
4. Horse rides: We work with animals and their handlers. Important: We do horse rides in winter and we will always look at the condition of the surface where we want to do the rides and we look at the weather. This can change from day to day. Like you said, it was very wet and muddy on the farm. That is why the rides was cancelled for that week after the rains.
5. Your idea of how I must handle my farm tracks is unasked for and does not make any sense. We had the highest average rainfall for August in the past 30 years. So all the farm tracks was damaged. We use a grader behind a tractor to repair these tracks after heavy rainfalls.
6. Domestic rubbish: That weekend before your arrival, everything was in flood, including the little stream that ran through the campsite. That stream brings everything along from my neighbours at the source up stream and wash it downwards. So the little bit of unnatural objects was expected and we clean the river from time to time on a regular basis. We are part of land care projects and in partnership with Cape Nature in a stewardship project. So we as a resort are very environmental sensitive. The farm is also part of wine and biodiversity and we are very proud of that. You would have noticed that all the alien plants was cut down on the river banks and indigenous trees was planted.
7. Duck weed: This water plant is an alien and was washed into the dam by the flooded river. These plants came from upstream from my neighbour. We will clean the dam after the winter rains has stopped and the fishing season starts. So this dam will be cleaned of these water plants at the middle of September. It is a huge operation to clean the dam and keep it that way and you make it sound like something simple to do. There is another huge dam at the Platbos log cabins on the farm that is stocked with bass and trout that can be used for fishing by our quests and yourself.
8. Security: Our quests enjoy the quietness and the sound of running of water in our campsite. So the less people on the site, the better. I am afraid you are one of those campers who do like a lot of people to gather around your campsite, but most campers don't. We don't like fences around our campsites, because you are part of nature and the rest of the farm. We believe that a wire fence around the campsite will destroy that feeling and natural beauty of the area. Until today, we didn't need a wire fence around our campsite. I grew up in this valley, and my parents and grand parents did, and we are very thankful to say that we stay in a safe and peaceful environment and a beautiful valley!
9. Swing Bridge: This bridge is an alternative bridge. There is a bridge that is used by the cars, to get to the other side of the stream. So I can't understand why this was a problem for you, you don't need it.The swing bridge was washed away by the floods and we will repair it as soon as the winter rains has stop. Like I said, August was our wettest August in the past 30 years.
10. My staff: Thank you for your interest in the way they do their work. I will take it up with them.
So at the end what can I say more: Thank you for the two complements and I will thankfully take it: In your own words: " The campsite looked fantastic, wide open grass and private ablutions. Overall the camping was great, there is electricity and hot water"

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The Slanghoek area is beautiful - lovely scenic drive, good wine, lush and beautiful. Little did I know that there is something even better there!! We stayed in the Slanghoek Mountain Resort for a weekend in August. It was wet and cold!! We did not even care - the inside braais, the cosiness, the beautiful setting combines for a great experience!

The chalets manages to be quaint, comfortable and well equipped all at the same time. It is truly beautiful and I can envisage this as a great place for a romantic getaway, a family holiday and a quick break from the nearby city!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Cape Town
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Clean but need some maintenance. Dripping shower resulted in very wet bathroom floor. No lock on bathroom door. Hot water not nearly enough, hot water for two showers in a 5 sleeper chalet is not good enough. Lovely setting and friendly staff, enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Connor2010CapeTown
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed in two of the permanent tents. They were clean, had beds & basic ensuite toilet & shower. This is luxury camping to us! The kids made the most of the play area and we braaied one night and got take away the other.

The location is stunning, set amongst the vineyards. It was ideally located for a trip to Fairy Glen Safari.

Would recommend as somewhere to get the natural beauty of camping without the hassle of putting up a tent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Claire T
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were there for a wedding and stayed over for the weekend in the permanent tented accommodation. The tents were clean and quite well equipped; it had an on suite bathroom with a shower, very basic inside – camping, but without the hassle. There is a braai (BBQ) area and outside seating in front of every tent. The area is really lovely and peaceful. We had a great time and will definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Tent 6 is on the end and nice and private.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The place looks inviting on arrival, the safari tent we stayed in was clean and so were the towels and the bathroom. Its a very peaceful and quiet place at first glance. After our 1st night we started noticing the small things, such as no change of towels, no broom to even sweep out the tent! There is only a trampoline n jungle gym for the smaller children, and 2 pools for everyone else. There is a tv room next to the pool with seating for 4 to accomodate all who are camping in the tents. The flies are straight out of a horror movie! And this is an understatement! Once you start a fire for a braai or barbeque the flies start swarming around the fire area. You need to run with you meat from the fire to the kitchen area to prevent the flies from attacking your meat. The horse rides are extremely expensive with R65 per adult for just 15mins! The river advertised has been dried up for a few years so if you want to go fishing, you need to have an SUV or similar vehicle to reach the next closest dam below the campsite. No day visitors are allowed so forget about having friends or family members pop in for even half a day. Another couple cut their visit short by a day and rather lost out on 1 day than to stay another night. If you're going to stay then be prepared to drive out for entertainment or bring a good few books. No music is allowed which can be a good thing or not and if you're in a chalet you need to stand in the kitchen if you want to watch tv. It might have been a different case if we were quite a few friends but then the noise levels would be an issue and then there is still the case of the flies to contend with.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Mr Adams n family
SakkieRawsonville, Owner at Slanghoek Mountain Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
As you have said: We are a clean, peacefull and quiet resort and very proud of that! We would like to keep it that way. Allow me to respond on the remarks in this review:
Towles: We are a water-wise resort and because of that, the towels of the units are changed after every two nights stay. If quests need clean towels before that, they are welcome to ask at reception, as with any other needs they might have.
Brooms: All the tents have a hand-brush with dustpan for cleaning purposes.
Kids entertainment: Like you said, there are two swimmingpools, trampoline and jungle-gim. The kids can allso enjoy our 18 hole put-put coarse, the 100 ha farm to do mountain-biking, hiking and pony-rides.
Television: Most of our tent-quests do not want to watch television, but if you need extra chairs in the Television room, there is enough chairs at the lapa-area next to it.
Flies: We are located between wine farms and the flies are only a problem certain times of the year. We work on a professional and constant spraying program and we sell fly repellants in our shop on the premisis.
Pony-rides: Children only pay R5 for pony-rides in a riding-ring. Our rates for adults after the Dec holidays, are R130 for an hour ride and R65 for 30 minutes.
Fishing: Our river-systems are in flood each winter and flow lower in mid summer. We stay in a winter rainfall area. There is a fishing dam next to the campsites and one at Platbos Log Cabins with stocked bass, trout and other fish and are available for fishing 12 months of the year.
Noise: We do not allow day visitors or music on the premises.
Chalet kitchens: All our chalets have kitchens with enough chairs for everyone in the chalet, so you don't have to stand to watch tv.
Thank you for allowing me to make corrections on the review.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We had a few nights at the resort and stayed in a chalet - it was nice but very basic. Good value for money, and a good location for the wedding we were attending. We did not know we had to turn on our hot water, which granted was our fault - but there was never anyone around at reception to ask. We eventually found out from our friends how to do this and enjoyed at least 1 night with hot water. Bed was a bit small for us (when someone is over 6'' tall) but comfortable. Very nice grounds and swimming pool, and we had a great hike around the area. I would recommend to anyone wanting something simple and independent.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
We have a 24 hour call number if quests need something. Since November 2012 reception is manned over weekends and public holidays.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rawsonville
Rawsonville House
#2 of 6 in Rawsonville
River Edge Accommodation
River Edge Accommodation
#1 of 1 in Breede River

Been to Slanghoek Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!