“will come back again~”
Review of West Coast Divers

West Coast Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome on board M/V PAWARA, our luxurious custom built, steel hull, Similan Islands Liveaboard, refitted especially for this season.Similan Islands, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock, the ultimate way to explore one of the worlds top ten dive spots with one of the longest standing Dive Centers in Phuket
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I travelled on my own to Phuket and spent 4 unforgettable days on this lovely boat.

The diving crew are very helpful and professional while the locals helping around on the boat can foresee problems and solve it before you even realize. As a solo traveler, I never feel lonely or uncared of. Nothing negative at all.

Scuba diving for leisure starts to gain popularity in China and since I came back I have already shown countless times on various occasions the documentary video the DM Fernando shot for us and gave us as free but great souvenir. It is so beautiful that a lot of friends asked me about the trip, the boat, the crew and I recommended it without hesitation. Personally I would love to go back in the near future!

Lisa

Reviewed December 23, 2013

This was my first live-aboard experience and I can warmly recommend it to everyone. The Pawara is a very beautiful boat, very well maintained to cater to all needs. Although there are not a lot of big fish that can be spotted around the Similan Islands (we saw one leopard shark and 2 turtles but no whale sharks, no manta's) , there is an abundance of wildlife : plenty of murray eels, parrot fish, snappers, groupers... Particularly 'Richelieu Rock' is very nice dive location.
What makes this experience so special though, is the atmosphere on board. Especially the Thai crew can't do enough for you. I'm a vegetarian and even if there's a vegetarian option during every buffet, the cook still prepared two to three vegetarian dishes especially for me during every meal (and they serve 5 meals per day). Even with 4 dives a day, I still managed to gain some weight during this trip. A big thumbs up for the Thai crew. The two dive guides we had on board (Fernando and Paulo) are very knowledgable about the dive spots and in general fun guys to hang out with on the boat. Conditions permitted and if possible they offer every diver the possibility to take part in a more relaxed (reef) dive or a more strenuous dives with a bit more current. The atmosphere on board is very relaxed and I can recommend this trip to everyone with a passion for diving. Just try not to step on the coral as it is already deteriorating because of the diving and the illegal fishing that takes

2  Thank Dirk_VDA
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Pawara was recommended by Aussie Divers and it turned out to be an excellent choice. As a former PADI professional, I am impressed by the professionalism and dedication shown by Marco and his team. It is of a standard that properly surpassed my experience on a Great Barrier Reef liveaboard. Safety was uppermost in Marco's mind while having fun and his dive briefings were detailed and gave us a great preview of what we could expect to see underwater. Though marine life may not be as great as what I remembered Similan and Phuket to be, I enjoyed the marine life for what it is even at the Boonsung Wreck. A BIG BIG Thank You too for to the dedicated Thai crew team who zealously filled our tanks and helped checked us in and out of the waters; you are the best! Also Thank You for doing your best to help take care of Nicholas's special requirements for food; just a suggestion though that perhaps food that contains nuts could be labelled. That cookie did have an effect on Nicholas but it was taken care by the end of the day. Nevertheless, we had a great four days of diving and loads of wonderful memories!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We joined West Coast Divers for a trip aboard the MV Pawara from 6-10 November. The trip was booked through Super Divers in Patong. We were promptly picked up from the airport for departure from the pier at Khao Lak. Our bags were loaded on board and we were greeted with wine and snacks. The dive lead, Marco, introduced the crew, took our information and we were off. The cabins were clean. The boat noise was audible but tolerable; we never had problems sleeping. The food was good, and the entire crew was always friendly and willing to help.

The only downside, and reason why I can’t give 5 stars, was that a large amount of people got temporarily ill from the food. For my wife, it lasted about 18 hours. The kitchen area looked very sanitary, so it was likely caused by spoiled food brought on to the boat. The crew was very apologetic and ensured us that this would be corrected in the future.

The dive sites were phenomenal. Elephant Head Rock at the Similans and Richelieu Rock really stood out. The abundance and variety of marine life was awesome. The highlights included cuddlefish, octopus, nurse sharks and turtles. Marco was our instructor for the PADI Advanced Open Water course. He was very methodical and calming when briefing the dives. Underwater he always found hidden creatures and showed us the best spots. Excellent instructor. There were never more than four people per divemaster.

Going on land at the Similans and Koh Tachai was also great. We visited the islands after all the day trip boats had departed. The beaches were phenomenal, and we were able to do some hikes to explore the islands.

All around, we had an awesome dive experience with West Coast Divers, and I’m confident the food problem will be corrected.

4  Thank Nico G
Reviewed December 11, 2013

My husband and I (late 20s) had our first LOB experience on MV Pawara with the amazing team of West Coast Divers. We did A LOT OF research for this trip and man oh man... Did we ever LOVE our experience. It surpassed our already high expectations.
The dive masters: Marco ?????????, Brian, Fernando and Timos were completely beyond our expectation. And the support crew, the cooks, the guys taking care of ALL the gear related tasks (changing tanks, helping with putting on equipment, taking equipment as soon as you get out of water, etc), and of course the captain were all top notch!!! :)
We had a master cabin with a small bathroom and a standing shower, AC and a safe ( which we never used because we didn't feel it was necessary) and we found it extremely comfortable. It was lovely to walk into our cabin after the first dive to a made up room! :) thanks to the lovely ladies on the boat... :)
We were both Advanced and Nitrox certified. We did 4 Nitrox dives a day for three days and two on the fourth and ate four amazing meals every day.
We had 1 dive master per groups of max 4 people which gave us all a chance to be close to the dive master on every dive and not miss anything.
The dive masters were all fun and easy going in and out of water. They were always there to ensure that you loved every minute of your LOB!
One suggestion: if you are considering booking, make sure you book through themselves rather than a middleman dive shop. We booked through a dive shop ( a pretty reputable one too), and we had issues with our gear. Even though the the Pawara team ironed out all those problems, I wondered to myself "why not just book with the team you're diving with directly??" They were extremely organized!! Furthermore, seeing the service we got, I would have much rather for them to get paid in full rather the amount minus a commission.

Overall, we will do this again and will highly recommend it to our family and friends.

Happy diving! Have a blast!

3  Thank Niloo1366