“"Must" visit”

Cuisines: Thai, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I went to this restaurant with our friends without having read about it. We were taken by our driver for a seafood meal next to this restaurant.As my wife and I were vegetarians on our first vista, she discovered this restaurant on the same premises. We found the ambience and the service to be excellent. We conveyed our meal selection to the chef who made a special effort to make sure we enjoyed the meal specially the ravioli.Our friends also enjoyed the meal. In fact we were so delighted with the fantastic food that we met the chef Ronnie Macuja and told him we would be coming again the next day as we were in Phuket for few days only and would like to try the non-vegetarian dishes which our friends were raving about.The lobster bisque, sea bass , beef and pork were wonderful. The presentation of the food surprised us, as well as the complimentary dishes thrown in by the chef. To have such a wonderful Western meal in Phuket was indeed a surprise to all four of us and we would recommend it unhesitatingly to anyone who visits Phuket. The restaurant was very tastefully decorated incorporating local materials. If one gets a window seat, one can also enjoy the scenic view of the bay.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The best!! Remarkable chef! I celebrated the birthday at this restaurant. Веautiful duck, legs of a ram, lobsters on couple and fresh. Desserts the best. Good choice of wine. Remarkable service. At the end of the evening there was a chief the cook with compliments. I liked it very much. I recommend for romantic meetings and for the pleasure.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I was at Vset twice recently in Feb'13. My first visit was to Kan Eang@Pier, which has the same owner. It was raining suddenly and they shifted us to Vset since there's only 2 of us and Kan Eang was quite full due to an event. Hence, we actually had food for Kan Eang but ate at Vset, with the lobster thermidor, coming from Vset's kitchen. The lobster thermidor and other food was excellent, hence prompted us to come back and try Vset since Chalong Bay is one of the places nearest to our hotel, the quite isolated Villa Zolitude.

Review:
We made a reservation through our hotel and arrived promptly around 7pm. The restaurant is rather empty and the weather is quite good. Next door, Kan Eang is operating at least 80% where it's only maybe 10% at Vset.

Ambience
The restaurant is quite romantic but has no view unless you opt to sit outside near the pier. Our table is located next to the car park. It has an European restaurant feel, with a small wine cellar and a small bar area.

Food:
I ordered the set with black angus beef while my wife had the pork belly risotto.
Amouse Bouse - Prawn with mussels in tomato sauce. 7/10
Nice touch by chef to serve my wife with this as well eventhough she did not order set.

Blue crab Ravioli - One of the highlights, must order. It's very creamy and balanced with the green tangy sauce, which I still can't quite figure out. 9/10

Mushroom cuppucino - Very foamy, comes in a nice small teacup. It has a very nice taste but not too thick. 8/10 Once again, my wife got a complimentary portion.

Red snapper on scallops of mushroom on a grilled coconut shell. Very interesting dish and the use of the coconut shell gives it a nice touch and slight fragrant. Only complaint is the snapper is a tad salty. 7/10

Lobster bisque - Another highlight of the evening, small pieces of lobster chunks are a nice surprise. The bisque has a fairly strong taste and aroma of the cognac. It also comes with a lobster claw which you can pick out the meat. 9/10

Passionfruit sorbet -Complimentary, to cleanse the palette. Nice, 7/10

Black Angus beef steak – Nice and tender, with a small piece of scallop and topped with a small slice of black truffle, mash potatoes and small balls of potatoes, carrots and cucumber – 7/10

Pork Belly Risotto – Very nice pork belly with ultra crispy skin (like the Chinese Roast Pork). The risotto is quite sticky and the crayfish is a little salty for me. 7.5/10

Chocolate lava cake with ice cream, berries and egg white with an interesting sauce. The sauce taste a bit like the cream sauce that some bread pudding has. Good dessert 7.5/10

Mango on coconut shell with coconut sorbet – a nice refreshing dessert – 7/10

Conclusion
Overall, I will say that Vset’s food quality is high; most dishes are good to excellent. Opt for a table inside if you prefer to be nice and quiet with airconditioning.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Exceptional location and tastefully decorated restaurant. This is a classy looking restaurant on the bay in Chalong.
We arrived early and waited for our friends in the bar. There are comfortable sofas to relax and the bar service is excellent. The staff were helpful and spoke passable English.
The dining room is a lovely place to spend the evening - the decor is tasteful, the lighting is just right, and there aren't too many tables crammed in like you find elsewhere.
Service was excellent - as good as anywhere we've been. They really have been trained well.
Every dish was well presented and tasty, but the menu choices tended heavily towards seafood and fish. Even the ravioli was lobster! Although this is a new brand of Kan Eang seafood, it is billed as 'international food'. Other than the extraordinarily expensive steaks and lamb, there were no choices for non-seafood-eaters.
Worth trying, but be warned! this place is very expensive! We don't mind spending this amount of money for a meal/night out, but there are better places than Vset to do it. Glad we tried though.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had a group of10 and headed here for dinner and all loved it,highly recommended. Has to be one of the best fine dinning experience's we have had in a long time here in Phuket or overseas.. The staff very friendly and entertaining.