“Honeymooners”

Ranked #20 of 45 Chalong B&B and Inns
Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
“Honeymooners”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at the Chalong Chalet Resort and Longstay for our honeymoon. It was overall a wonderful experience and the resort itself was relaxing, friendly, private and beautiful. However, it has a small staff and therefore there are a few things that are overlooked so therefore there is room for improvement.

First impression was that the resort wasn't busy. Beautiful tropical gardens were well maintained and the private villas were well spaced apart. It truly felt like you nearly had the whole place to yourselves. As honeymooners - this was brilliant! The pool was fantastic and even better since not many people were ever there when we were there.

Keeping in mind that myself and my hubby don't speak a word of Thai, we communicated well enough, albiet awkwardly, with the staff and they were always very friendly and willing to help. We were always greeted with a smile and they were polite. We always returned from a day out to a clean and restocked room. The villas themselves were tidy and spacious. Outdoor bathroom made a lot of sense in the heat - a cool shower was perfect to wake up to and rince off in at the end of a hot day. When we arrived our villa was decorated in petals and flowers and the towels were shaped into romantic swans. That was lovely and much appreciated. However there were a few things things I disliked about our villa. The bed was rock solid! You could not throw yourself onto the bed because it would throw your back out of whack. I could eventually get to sleep but my last night there I woke up with a terrible neck and back ache that lasted me my whole trip back home to Australia. The blinds above the outdoor toilet were broken so we had to place a towel over the window for privacy. There was no hot water from the shower - I didn't need it because the pipes got warm enough in the sun but not having it available was odd. I soaked in a cool bath but my hubby would not join me because he doesn't like cool baths which I can't blame him. I'm not sure if this was unique to our villa or if it was the same for the others too. Nevertheless, this hardly dampened my spirits and I still enjoyed myself.

I treated myself to a thai massage by the pool which was great - they charge more than in town but really, still very cheap compared to home.

They offer free shuttle into Chalong but no complimentary airport transfers. We paid extra for the resort to organise us a taxi to drive us to and from the airport which was the easiest solution. They will call a taxi for you if necessary - I'm sure we paid our taxi drivers a lot more than we needed to because we didn't bargain but again, compared to home it's still very cheap, and we weren't going to worry or stress about the small stuff. I would not recommend the resort if you want to be in the thick of things - it is quite some distance away from Patong and we had to travel into Chalong by free shuttle in order to find a bus. In saying so, we certainly didn't feel trapped although we would have saved a lot more money if we didn't have to get a taxi every day. I'm sure they did provide scooter hire but we didn't opt for that since we saw how dangerous that could be especially since we weren't familiar with the streets.

We did have complimentary buffet breakfast each morning which we ate at the restaurant and I looked forward to it each morning and it was yummy! Not the biggest selection but each day they had something different, besides the usual toast, fruit and cereal. We had dinner there one evening and I really enjoyed my meal but my husband is far pickier and wasn't as impressed. There were a few things on the menu that they weren't able to provide which was a little disappointing but not at all a deal breaker. I believe with more staff and more guests they wouldn't have this problem.

I believe the resort is far suitable for a couple and not for families. Suitable for people who want to relax and enjoy the serenity and not party groups. I really enjoyed my stay even though there were a few things that could have turned me off completely but I didn't let this ruin my honeymoon.

Room Tip: Chalet 17 needs some more TLC.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This resort was by far our favourite accommodation in Phuket! The staff were amazingly helpful, diligent and seemed to be mind-readers. Mind you, they thought we were on our honey moon so that swan-towels and rose petals were in abundance! lol.
We stayed in a self-contained one bed-room lodge with 2 bathrooms (one was the most beautiful outdoor bathroom I've seen!), a massive lounge room, front porch (perfect for parking our motorbike rental), side porch (perfect for a quick smoko) and a fully equipped kitchen.
The pool area was perfect and clean and the restaurant provided a great service, we doubled our tipping here! We only ever ate breakfast here and that was average but fast (a la carte menu not buffet) and hospitable. WiFi was available but the signal was intermittent.
I would definitely recommend this resort to couples and families looking for self-contained accommodation, close to town but far away enough to be away from the usual buzz of the city.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is our second review of this hotel and we loved it. Chaletsre great and recent renos have been excellent. Large, clean, great view, restaurant was better .... Giv this plac consideration ...great value. A slight way out of town, twelve minute walk, but quiet and th pool is excellent.

Room Tip: No bad rooms ...chalet one through three very near pool so great for family.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Westbury, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The accommodation was superb; huge, airy and light. The outdoor bathroom was fantastic, the pool was perfection, very spacious grounds (in fact the whole place felt deserted!). Everywhere was very clean and the staff were really friendly and helpful BUT the food selection was poor; a lot of the items on the menu weren't available (including ice cream!) and out of 50 cocktails we only had a choice of a piña colarda or a mai tai. The bedroom was stunning but the furniture in the living quarters looked tired, although was comfortable. The shuttle bus is one way only so you have to pay to get back, and trips to other beaches are only run on selected days. Careful on the bottled water - there are two types; the plain bottled water is complimentary but you pay for the mineral one!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Maria P
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed here for three months and enjoyed every day. The staff is pleasant and respectful of your privacy. The bungalows are comfortable and pleasant, but there is air con only in the bedroom. Not a big problem in the daytime as each unit has more than 20 windows to open for cross ventilation. The pool is clean and refreshing with great views. The one small drawback is it's not within walking distance of anything so you need a motorbike or taxi to get to outside restaurants, beaches, etc.

Room Tip: If you need wifi, it's much better to get a bungalow that is higher rather than lower on the slo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Love this place. Its not on the beach keep that in mind, although its just a short drive away from most destinations. Its great if you don't want to stay in the busy area of Patong. We spent 10 days of our trip here and it was a great decision! We were made to feel like royalty, getting picked up right outside our doorstep to the foyer. Staff are amazing, most friendliest place to be and not to mention very clean & comfortable with amazing views. The chalets are very large with outdoor rainforest like showers. I would definitely recommend this to those who are looking to get away and relax and take in the beautiful scenery & people there. I was very sad to leave and will definitely be coming back one day!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Danni_xo
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed February 20, 2013

15th February 2013
Great reception/ lobby area, greeted nicely (secretly I was hoping someone would note on my passport that it was my birthday though, but they didn’t)
These chalets are luxury size, any bigger and would call it a house.
The cot they made up for us was clean and looked new.
There are 2 bathrooms. The outside bathroom has a toilet, bath, hot and cold running shower and basin/mirror.
The inside bathroom has a toilet, cold shower and basin/mirror.
The kitchen is bigger than some apartment kitchens, with an excellent sized fridge, and with a microwave…. But no oven.
There is a walk in wardrobe, with seat and mirror.
For a 3 – 4 star resort, it is absolutely gorgeous.
I read the other reviews before coming and bought mosquito repellent.
Lunch – seafood pasta (Yummy) Me – We got Chicken salad (yummy) for our toddler – My hubby had club sandwich bacon and egg with fries (yummy)
Dinner – My “Sirloin steak” looked good made from pork, tough and with the light colour and texture of pork, was thinking if I were muslim I would be extremely insulted. Pork does not cook like steak and I gave up on the very tough meat early into my dinner.
Richard was okay with his sweet and sour beef and vegetables ( it was pork, not beef), the meals are rather large so after our lunch we decided that we would share our meals with our baby son instead of giving him any more meals
16th February 2013
Breakfast, yeah….. I have had a lot better
Lunch – we ate out
Dinner – I had tuna with spaghetti it was yummy, Hubby had tuna sandwich was ‘OK, not fantastic, nothing to complain about’
Fridge has a whistle every time you close it.
By 3rd day you really wish the lounge also had air conditioning, would not be so bad if doors did not have to be closed for a toddler though.

The people who own this place also seem to be running it – You get excellent personal service face to face
Don’t look for a welcome booklet in your chalet there isn’t one. You get very little in the way of utensils too, no oven, no knives, no tea towels, no wash clothes, no scrubbing brush, no hot water tap in the kitchen.

The bed was quite hard.
Basically with the meals some are great and not too large, just right and then other meals are just terrible.
If we had not got the breakfasts with the deal we would not be eating there. They are edible, the fried eggs are put in warmers, there is toast, chilled water, chilled orange juice (very nice, could even be mandarin juice), coffee, watermelon, pineapple, cornflakes, some sort of chocolate flakes, baked beans, bacon and a few other bits and bobs. I could not justify their prices for breakfast in anyway shape or form (About $12 NZD per person - $10 USD per person).
The area around the resort is just stunning, the gardens are beautiful (please see my pics)
The swimming pool is great, no shade though so be careful not to get burnt (we did not realise we were burnt till about 4 hours later.)
There is a childens/toddler end of the pool which our baby boy (toddler) loved, he could just walk around the toddler pool with his head above the water.
There are sunbeds with mats on so you can relax and they have towels available.
There is no one there to save you so please stay in arms reach of your little ones. There is a bar area which would be brilliant if it were manned, I really wanted a drink and we were hoping to have lunch there (there are tables and chairs), but there was no service what so ever.
Massage by the pool – The lady I got was incredible, I got the oil massage, facial and foot massage, I have to recommend this.
• Bring mosquito repellent, ant bait and buy fly spray when you get here (those coils would also be great), just to make your stay that bit more comfortable.
19th February 2013 –
Went up to the restaurant for lunch, Hubby had the tuna sandwich and fries, I ordered the spaghetti cabonara… boy what a mistake, I have never done this before and frankly I have never had to. After the very sweet chef asked about the meal I left on the other side of the table while I was eating hubbies fries, I said “No good”, he looked at it with a look of ‘what is wrong’ and took it away. The cabonara sauce had separated/ curdled. The part that I have never in my life had to do was when given the check the item was still on the bill, and for the first time in my life I have said “I can’t pay for that (the spaghetti cabonara), I could not eat it”. He allowed me to cross it out….. about 15 minutes ago now, so I am hoping the tiny bit that I ate of the curdled sauce that I was hoping was parmesan cheese stays down. (it did)
Hubby and I have decided that tonight we will be going to the green man for dinner, and we only have one more breakfast to contend with.

Greenman (pub/ restaurant down the road from the resort) great yet again, our toddler loved the macaroni cheese.

20th February 2013– Check out went well

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank suzeq2b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chalong
Palm Garden Resort Phuket
Chalong Miracle Lakeview
#7 of 12 in Chalong
Villa Zolitude Resort and Spa
The One Cozy Vacation Residence

Been to Chalong Chalet Resort & Longstay? Share your experiences!