“Phuket Fishing Charters”

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With so many choices of fishing boats and various standards and prices, it is difficult to find the right operator for your fishing style and budget. I have been in the industry for 13 years and have local knowledge of every boat and crew in the Phuket Fishing fleet. My budget private charters start at only 12,000 baht and range through 23,500 baht and up to luxurt sports fishing vessels at over 100,000 baht per day.My fleet caters for the dedicated deep sea game fisherman and to those preferring a nice day on the water with a mix of fishing, snorkeling and island hopping. The choice is yours.For join-on day trips there is a choice of budget 2,100 baht for the (up to) 12 person boat sharing, holiday outing "not so serious" with the local Thai fishermen or for 3,500 baht trip for the top of the range fishing excursion with tournament standard equipment and crew.Multi-day trips for dedicated fishing or fun boating to the closer islands of Racha Yai and Racha Noi and to world famous Similan Islands are popular also.
Patong, Thailand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Phuket Fishing Charters”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

Just a quick note to score your company 10 out of 10.
We were a bit aprehensive as the"girls" and the kids were coming, previously it was an all guys day but everybody had a great time and caught fish...................some of which we later ate!!!
Pick up was on time at our villa (which is hard to locate on the hill overlooking Patong)
The driver was really patient with our wives and kids who wanted to take "everything" with them, just in case, so armed with pills, cameras,arm bands and waterproofs we set off.
There was loads of room on the boat, the lines were all baited for us through the day(which was the main worry for my missus) and the Captain knew where the fish were.
Best moment was hooking a Barracuda, which fought like hell for a change and looks fearsom in the photo.
Thanks to Steve and his organisation for a great days fishing.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank mickspider
PhuketFishing, General Manager at Phuket Fishing Charters, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Hi Mick,
hey mate, 10 out of 10!! Big thanks, I wish I could have gotten that score in my senior high school exam. My Dad would have bought me the car I wanted. Well a new bike maybe!
Apoligies for my late response, I am not good on the computer and tend to keep putting these things off. Get me out on or under the water anyday however I am in the leading run for a Thailand Excellence Award in Thailand Tourism Awards so I have to move my butt and get typing.
A Thailand Tourism Award will go well with my Trip Advisor Excellence Award so I sincerely thank you for your time to send a review and of course for choosing Phuket Fishing Charters.
See you next time you are in Phuket and if you have a spare day, come to my world first, new SASUBA snorkeling/ hookah diving tour to Coral Island. I will have the amazing new technology full face diving masks with underwater intercom supplied with air from the surface to about 6 meters max. This is why it is called SASUBA..Surface Air Supplied Underwater Breathing Apparatus. Check it out.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great day out on the water”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

After a few emails back and forth discussing our needs with Steve we booked a charter for the 24th February 2014. Steve was great to deal with and having been in Thailand for over 15 years provided great information honestly and freely based on his extensive experience, he also was able to cater to almost any need we had for the day.

We booked the 56ft launch Thai On II for a days fishing and fun, The boat was very spacious with a big fly bridge and a large deck area. Plenty of room to sit and enjoy the view upstairs or in the cabin. The ammenities were on par with what you would expect in Thailand and the boat was in fair condition, it had been well used as you would expect from any charter game boat. The boat was fairly stable but we had light conditions, in a bit of swell and wind some might find it a bit rock and roll if they are light on the stomach and heavy on the burley.

With 11 noisy Aussies who enjoy a few refreshments with thier fishing, it was always going to be a challenge to cater for everyone. Not the best time of year for big fish but we managed to catch a skinny 70ish cm Mahi Mahi on the way out to Ko Racha Yai and a double hook up of Bonito on the way back home. The fishing gear was all reasonably high spec and in good condition. We ran 6 lines all day with no tangles, the deck hand appeared to know his stuff and was pretty competent rigging the skip baits and setting the outriggers and lure distances.

We anchored for lunch at Batok Beach. We had a great afternoon swimming and snorkling with 40ft+ visibility. Lots of small fish to look at but we were anchored in the middle of the bay so the bottom was fairly sparse, snorkling along the cliff edge might give some better views. We opted to stay anchored for a few hours and swim, we did try to ask about doing some bottom bashing but communication was a bit difficult with the captain and we were happy with the refreshments. I must also say that the lunch provided was excellent, we had fish and chicken and some yummy salads with no belly rumbles afterwards. There was more than enough to feed 11 hungry blokes.

Transfers to and from Patong were organised by Steve and were punctual, clean and air conditioned. Overall a great experience, we will definately be looking to use Phuket Fishing Charters again next time out. Thanks for a great day out Steve.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Michael S
Hi Michael,
Sorry for slow response, I have to confess I am slack on the computer, get me outside of the office and I am a different person, happier too!
"Thai On" is the perfect boat for your type of day and no other private charter boat in Phuket has the space and facilities at the price. Every guest who I can meet after the day expresses their satisfaction at the layout of this boat for space and "traffic flow" around the main saloon and fishing deck and fly bridge.
I also appreciate your time to review as it will support my endeavour to win a Thailand Tourism Award 2013- 2014 to go with my Trip Advisor Excellence Award.
Thanks for choosing Phuket Fishing Charters and see you next time.
Taipei, Taiwan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very good fishing day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

We booked the boat on Jan.30, 2014, driver picked up at 08:00, leave the pier about 09:00
we tried jigging and trolling and the catched is gret.
After 30minutes leving the pier, we started trolling all the way to jigging spot, catched about 15 tunas.
When arrive the jigging spot, due to fast water flow, we use 150g to 200g jigging lure, 50lbs carbon leader line, PE4 mail line.
water depth is from 50M~70M, captain work hard to find the fish and the radar shows all big fish are locate at the bottom.

We choose fast dive lure and it take about 30 seconds to hit the bottom. The most catched is about 5 meter from the bottom.

Fishinng guild is a nice guy with excellent cook, also the captain worked hard findinng fish for us.

After the day, we bring all catches to a restaurant and give all fishes to them, and get a free heavy dinner, that's really awesome.

Thanks Steve, thanks Wahoo, thanks all you guys arrange the nice day.

Johnny

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Johnnydu001
Hi Johnny
I have to come out with you next time if I get the chance I am sure you can teach me some new tricks ( if you are willing to share, ha ha).
Thanks heaps for choosing Phuket Fishing Charters, we do try to fit the best boat at the best price to each person's requested style of day. Yes and my close association with Wahoo, Thaion and the Thai local companies holds me in great stead to offer just about every boat at all acceptable standards and prices.
Wish me luck with the Thailand Tourism Awards 2013-2014 as I am hopeful to win a Thailand Award of Excellence to go with my Trip Advisor Excellence Award.
Hong Kong, China
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Another Great Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

This was the 3rd time we have used Steve's services and boats and it was another great trip. We went out on Christmas eve as this was the only day Steve had a boat available for us. Great day out on the water with the kdis and caught about 12 skip jacks. Crew spoke very limited English but communication was fine. After fishing for a couple of hours went to a beautiful bay and crew cooked us a simple but great lunch including one of the tunas we caught.

In other reviews there are people who complain about the crew not speaking English. Come on people, you are in Thailand and dealing with people who have grown up and spent their entire lives on the sea. What do you expect?

People who complain about not catching fish. It's called "fishing" for a reason. Some days you will catch fish and some days you won't.

People who complain about the size or how slow the boats are. What do you want for a few hundred USD? A speedboat? Guaranteed catch of a sailfish? Crew to speak perfect English?

Get real people. You get to spend an entire day on the water just chilling. If you catch fish that's great if not then next time. Get to go snorkelling in a beautiful bay with clear visibility with a simple yet filling lunch.

I was very happy to have the opporttunity to spend teh day on the water relaxing and chilling with my family enjoying the beautiful scenery and very happy to use Steve's services and would not hesitate to use them again.

Visited December 2013
PhuketFishing, General Manager at Phuket Fishing Charters, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Very nice to have welcomed you and your family once again on a private charter. The big ones eluded you this time, nevermind. A big thankyou from my staff and crews of Phuket Fishing Charters and we look forward to seeing you again and hopefully a sail fish next time.
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Treat as a booking agent, big disapointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

After reading rave reviews about this company we rang and after a discussion decided on booking a private charter instead of an add on trip. Great we thougt! The last boat left was also the cheapest and that should have been the first warning sign. But after speaking to Steve (lovely guy btw) on the phone and discussing what kind of trip would be best for us and being assured that his policy was to offer us the best possible trip, not just try to upsell like some others may, we thought, yay this will be great, a bit dissapointed that he suggested against trolling due to lack of catches recently but excited to do some bottom fishing where recently boats had had more luck!
After stressing the fact that we would prefer to use Phuket Fishing Charters rather than someone we could not comunicate with (Steve is Aussie) we booked.
Transfer was on time, car and transfer was great
Arrive at the dock, get transfered to our boat by a guy who can communicate a little in English.
Laugh at the size of the boat, but figure after all its the cheapest its bound to be small :) None of the crew spoke English, not a problem, just go with the flow!
Head out on the boat, start trolling, yay, we get to troll after all!!! Catch 4 very undersized tuna, cool, we'll throw them back, ah nope! Straight into the cooler box.
I felt a bit seasick so we went into a beautiful bay and did some snorkeling (best visibility we had in Thailand) and the crew cooked up our tiny catch alond with fried rice and some fried chicken. The food was great, and they were even nice enough to cut up the larger of the tuna for some super fresh delicious sashimi.
After lunch and a swim, we though yay bottom fishing time. We went about 10 mins out threw in some hand lines and waited, while the crew tried to fix the engine. Soooooo we "bottom" fished with about 40 m of hand reel in about 50 m of water of course with no luck for about 40 mins, then pulled the hand reels in a waited about another 20 mins before we could move off again.
After trying to communicate that we would like to bottom fish where there was a bottom we could reach the crew (probably out of frustration at the language barrier) walked away and left us at the back with more trolling lines back to the pier.
So a pretty dissapointing experience, I believe the creww did their best, but dont believe they were very experienced or qualified to lead a fishing charter.
Being sold a trip that was completely different to what we were told we were getting is pretty bad.
Definitely would not recomend this compnay to anyone.
Waste of money

Visited January 2014
3 Thank TripJJJ
PhuketFishing, Owner at Phuket Fishing Charters, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Well after all of the praise and good words about the charter I was not sure as to why you gave a low score and remarked that I sold you a trip that you did not order. Then I realised and went immediateely in person to the fishing boat owner's shop to make a formal complaint.
For all those reading this response, please, if you book a trip with me and you have a problem on the day, call me at that time and I can nearly always fix it. This is my responsibility which I do not take lightly. However if you go home and weeks later I see something on TA. What can I do to help you by then?
In your case I had definitely sent your bottom fishing request by email and also by phone call that you had requested bottom fishing. What actually happened with the Thai communication from the booking/operations side to the captain, I am guessing either there was some omission or the captain had a problem. What happened to the engine, if anything, I do not know I was alerted too long after the fact.
One thing is that the captain you had has been dismissed from the company now.
What a pity a few nice dorado or a saily did not hit your lines on the way home. Your review most likely would have hit the 5 star with a glowing recommendation.
Since you were out with us we have had some excellent days and catches ( some pretty lean days too ). Next time in Phuket you might give me a call and we can discuss a nice discount for you. I did have serious words with the boat owner so he owes both of us one.
Please accept my sincere apologies, this event was certainly not intentional.