“Very good fishing day”

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With so many choices of fishing boats and various standards and prices, it is difficult to find the right operator for your fishing style and budget. I have been in the industry for 13 years and have local knowledge of every boat and crew in the Phuket Fishing fleet. My budget private charters start at only 12,000 baht and range through 23,500 baht and up to luxurt sports fishing vessels at over 100,000 baht per day.My fleet caters for the dedicated deep sea game fisherman and to those preferring a nice day on the water with a mix of fishing, snorkeling and island hopping. The choice is yours.For join-on day trips there is a choice of budget 2,100 baht for the (up to) 12 person boat sharing, holiday outing "not so serious" with the local Thai fishermen or for 3,500 baht trip for the top of the range fishing excursion with tournament standard equipment and crew.Multi-day trips for dedicated fishing or fun boating to the closer islands of Racha Yai and Racha Noi and to world famous Similan Islands are popular also.
Taipei, Taiwan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very good fishing day”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We booked the boat on Jan.30, 2014, driver picked up at 08:00, leave the pier about 09:00
we tried jigging and trolling and the catched is gret.
After 30minutes leving the pier, we started trolling all the way to jigging spot, catched about 15 tunas.
When arrive the jigging spot, due to fast water flow, we use 150g to 200g jigging lure, 50lbs carbon leader line, PE4 mail line.
water depth is from 50M~70M, captain work hard to find the fish and the radar shows all big fish are locate at the bottom.

We choose fast dive lure and it take about 30 seconds to hit the bottom. The most catched is about 5 meter from the bottom.

Fishinng guild is a nice guy with excellent cook, also the captain worked hard findinng fish for us.

After the day, we bring all catches to a restaurant and give all fishes to them, and get a free heavy dinner, that's really awesome.

Thanks Steve, thanks Wahoo, thanks all you guys arrange the nice day.

Johnny

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Johnnydu001
PhuketFishing, General Manager at Phuket Fishing Charters, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Hi Johnny
I have to come out with you next time if I get the chance I am sure you can teach me some new tricks ( if you are willing to share, ha ha).
Thanks heaps for choosing Phuket Fishing Charters, we do try to fit the best boat at the best price to each person's requested style of day. Yes and my close association with Wahoo, Thaion and the Thai local companies holds me in great stead to offer just about every boat at all acceptable standards and prices.
Wish me luck with the Thailand Tourism Awards 2013-2014 as I am hopeful to win a Thailand Award of Excellence to go with my Trip Advisor Excellence Award.
Cheers
Steve A

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Another Great Trip”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

This was the 3rd time we have used Steve's services and boats and it was another great trip. We went out on Christmas eve as this was the only day Steve had a boat available for us. Great day out on the water with the kdis and caught about 12 skip jacks. Crew spoke very limited English but communication was fine. After fishing for a couple of hours went to a beautiful bay and crew cooked us a simple but great lunch including one of the tunas we caught.

In other reviews there are people who complain about the crew not speaking English. Come on people, you are in Thailand and dealing with people who have grown up and spent their entire lives on the sea. What do you expect?

People who complain about not catching fish. It's called "fishing" for a reason. Some days you will catch fish and some days you won't.

People who complain about the size or how slow the boats are. What do you want for a few hundred USD? A speedboat? Guaranteed catch of a sailfish? Crew to speak perfect English?

Get real people. You get to spend an entire day on the water just chilling. If you catch fish that's great if not then next time. Get to go snorkelling in a beautiful bay with clear visibility with a simple yet filling lunch.

I was very happy to have the opporttunity to spend teh day on the water relaxing and chilling with my family enjoying the beautiful scenery and very happy to use Steve's services and would not hesitate to use them again.

Visited December 2013
PhuketFishing, General Manager at Phuket Fishing Charters, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Very nice to have welcomed you and your family once again on a private charter. The big ones eluded you this time, nevermind. A big thankyou from my staff and crews of Phuket Fishing Charters and we look forward to seeing you again and hopefully a sail fish next time.
Cheers
Steve A
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Treat as a booking agent, big disapointment”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

After reading rave reviews about this company we rang and after a discussion decided on booking a private charter instead of an add on trip. Great we thougt! The last boat left was also the cheapest and that should have been the first warning sign. But after speaking to Steve (lovely guy btw) on the phone and discussing what kind of trip would be best for us and being assured that his policy was to offer us the best possible trip, not just try to upsell like some others may, we thought, yay this will be great, a bit dissapointed that he suggested against trolling due to lack of catches recently but excited to do some bottom fishing where recently boats had had more luck!
After stressing the fact that we would prefer to use Phuket Fishing Charters rather than someone we could not comunicate with (Steve is Aussie) we booked.
Transfer was on time, car and transfer was great
Arrive at the dock, get transfered to our boat by a guy who can communicate a little in English.
Laugh at the size of the boat, but figure after all its the cheapest its bound to be small :) None of the crew spoke English, not a problem, just go with the flow!
Head out on the boat, start trolling, yay, we get to troll after all!!! Catch 4 very undersized tuna, cool, we'll throw them back, ah nope! Straight into the cooler box.
I felt a bit seasick so we went into a beautiful bay and did some snorkeling (best visibility we had in Thailand) and the crew cooked up our tiny catch alond with fried rice and some fried chicken. The food was great, and they were even nice enough to cut up the larger of the tuna for some super fresh delicious sashimi.
After lunch and a swim, we though yay bottom fishing time. We went about 10 mins out threw in some hand lines and waited, while the crew tried to fix the engine. Soooooo we "bottom" fished with about 40 m of hand reel in about 50 m of water of course with no luck for about 40 mins, then pulled the hand reels in a waited about another 20 mins before we could move off again.
After trying to communicate that we would like to bottom fish where there was a bottom we could reach the crew (probably out of frustration at the language barrier) walked away and left us at the back with more trolling lines back to the pier.
So a pretty dissapointing experience, I believe the creww did their best, but dont believe they were very experienced or qualified to lead a fishing charter.
Being sold a trip that was completely different to what we were told we were getting is pretty bad.
Definitely would not recomend this compnay to anyone.
Waste of money

Visited January 2014
3 Thank TripJJJ
PhuketFishing, Owner at Phuket Fishing Charters, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Well after all of the praise and good words about the charter I was not sure as to why you gave a low score and remarked that I sold you a trip that you did not order. Then I realised and went immediateely in person to the fishing boat owner's shop to make a formal complaint.
For all those reading this response, please, if you book a trip with me and you have a problem on the day, call me at that time and I can nearly always fix it. This is my responsibility which I do not take lightly. However if you go home and weeks later I see something on TA. What can I do to help you by then?
In your case I had definitely sent your bottom fishing request by email and also by phone call that you had requested bottom fishing. What actually happened with the Thai communication from the booking/operations side to the captain, I am guessing either there was some omission or the captain had a problem. What happened to the engine, if anything, I do not know I was alerted too long after the fact.
One thing is that the captain you had has been dismissed from the company now.
What a pity a few nice dorado or a saily did not hit your lines on the way home. Your review most likely would have hit the 5 star with a glowing recommendation.
Since you were out with us we have had some excellent days and catches ( some pretty lean days too ). Next time in Phuket you might give me a call and we can discuss a nice discount for you. I did have serious words with the boat owner so he owes both of us one.
Please accept my sincere apologies, this event was certainly not intentional.
Hohenfels, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“WORST Deep Sea Fishing Experience”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I would like to save all individuals from booking a fishing trip through this company. Not only was the driver 45 minutes late arriving to pick us up from the hotel, but I can honestly tell you that I NOT ONCE had my hand on a fishing rod. Several lines trailed behind the moving boat for part of the day (only catching one small tuna), but 2 other times the crew handed us spools of fishing line that we were supposed to use. The crew spoke little to no English and lunch was extremely minimal (did not know if there would be enough food). My BIGGEST issue is that I was charged nearly twice what was listed on the website upon arrival at the office - Wahoo Charters. This is my book is bait and switch. I have been deep sea fishing multiple times and this was by FAR the worst experience that I have had. I hope you stay clear from "Steve" - he has multiple websites!

Visited December 2013
11 Thank msheddy
PhuketFishing, Manager at Phuket Fishing Charters, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Well "Hell Hath No Fury..." like a woman who missed the big one!
First, is the main reason for you venom laced attack is that you felt cheated by a "bait and switch" assumption. Having to pay ( double ) the advertised rate on my several websites?? I absolutely deny this is the strongest terms. I have had the same price for Wahoo join-on as always advertised at 3,500 baht. I do not and have never had any other websites advertising any different price. This is a shocking accusation which on reflection is a mistake by you which could have been realised easily by simply asking others onboard or taken a moment to check your facts before writing this with the stated purpose of convincing others to not use my service.
The big issue is that you state that Wahoo Charters is advertised for 2,000 baht on several sites. Again, any reader who can find this please let me and Wahoo Charters know as it is clearly shown on my one site that the trip is 3,500 baht. Here is a copy and paste of her booking
me.."Thanks for your enquiry.
I do have 2 available spots on WAHOO THAI BOAT if you would like to book."....
No mistake can be made about this, It is clear and Wahoo is advertised over 4,000 baht on their site. All guests on the Wahoo Boat that day paid 4,200 baht except this reviewer who paid My advertised price of 3,500 baht. Of course I must be professional in my response, but it is quite unfair that you have make some mistake and falsely accused me of dishonesty in the public forum.
Here are your threats from the morning .....
"We are at the Wahoo office now. All of your websites led me to believe that this day trip was 2,000 baht per person. I am very disappointed in the price change and will be writing multiple reviews on the Internet discussing this issue. " Now readers, you can check all possible marketing you can find and you will see this woman has made a gross error, made nasty threats, and through her misunderstanding has made false accusations online. The 2,100 baht trips are clearly marked as P series boats. There was no price change, ever, only a cheaper price paid than everywhere else.
The issue of late pick-up is unfortunate. The guest pick-up before this reviewer's had given the wrong hotel name to the office. Once the error was found the van had to travel 20 minutes back to pick them up. Our company had no choice. We were in contact with you and all seemed fine until you reached the Wahoo office and then sent the above. Unfortunately I was not online at the time and so did not receive it until the evening when you continued and also sent this...
"After being scammed into paying 3,500 baht per person (instead of the 2,000 stated on your multiple websites), our experience was most disappointing. I feel like you have robbed me.
but I will soon be posting my comments of my negative experience all over the Internet."
You were still in error in your accusations. It is clear that Wahoo is 3,500 baht but you wanted to carry it to the point of harming my business and the livelihoods of the Thai fishing community.
All from your own mistake and you carried your error all the way home and to your computer to harm me.
This was not a review, it was clearly an attack on my business, motivated by revenge for something you created in your mind after your error and not then checking the facts.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“If you like sea fishing choose another country”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Trip was nice but the fish stocks are clearly very poor. Nothing but tiny skip jacks. The views are nice. Treat this as a boat ride around the islands.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank John O
PhuketFishing, Manager at Phuket Fishing Charters, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Unfortunately I have no record of you or what day you may have been on one of our boats so all I can say is that the day you supposedly came with us, the fishing was not good. I cannot agree with you to tell people to go choose another country for fishing. As we do so often have really spectacular catches as well as average , even bad days, Phuket still offers superb game fishing with our large fleet fishing daily.
With the Racha Island close by featuring pinnacles and the very deep water just by Racha Noi Island and what we call The Drop Off is where the big ones can be found. This area is open to the fast Andaman Sea, close by the famous Similan and Surin Islands and Indian ocean so I have confidence that we will have good fish stocks for a while yet.