“Learned A Lot at Demonstrations, Conflicted About Elephant Camps”
Review of Siam Safari - CLOSED

Siam Safari
More attraction details
Owner description: Book directly via Siam Safari's website for best rates and promotions. Siam Safari operates nature tours in Phuket with over 25 years experience and is the only Royal Thai Government Certified Elephant Camp in Southern Thailand, which guarantees that our elephants are well taken care of. In the interests of guests' safety, we only use female elephants on our elephant trekking tours.
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Overall, our experience at Siam Safari was a positive one. Au was a fantastic guide and very knowledgeable (and funny!) and I learned a lot at each of the demonstrations (coconut, rice, curry, rubber). The rides to/from the camp are a huge plus, as it is a bit up the hill in Chalong.

If you are looking for an authentic/unscripted day trip, Siam Safari is probably not for you--my travel buddy and I commented a few times that it seemed a little "Disney". We anticipated as much when we booked it, though, so it didn't bother us too much. It is a long day, so if you are going with young children, it might be a bit much for them. I enjoyed seeing the elephants (what magnificent creatures), but still had misgivings about using elephants for tourism purposes. This had more to do with my personal opinions than Siam Safari's treatment of the elephants.

1  Thank TotheFullList

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We took our 2 year old son and mum and dad on the 4 in 1 half day safari with lunch and it was fantastic. The guide was very informative and we learnt a lot. My son loved the elephant ride and the lunch was delicious!!! Well worth a visit :)

Reviewed March 4, 2014

This was a wonderful excursion!

My wife and I did the 4 in 1 lunch tour.
It is setup so that locals guide the entire tour and the people that do the demonstrations are the same people that have been doing it on a daily basis for generations, so by doing this tour not only are you helping to protect the elephants, but you are helping support this culture so that it is not forgotten.

It was a very worthwhile tour and like the title states, it is very well organized and professionally handled, all the staff are very friendly!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We went to Siam Safari through our travel agency mainly for getting guidance on our own language. Appeared that same would have been possible directly through Siam Safari too.

Showing coconut handling and rubber collecting were told in great way. My kids were specially interested of these topics and there were other demonstration on traditional work ways too. Young elephant show was not that interesting, but after it was nice to get so close of them.

Elephant trekking was great experience. The path was quite thin in rain forest. In mid-way there was photo session and we got nice pictures from whole family on back of couple elephants. The last downhill I was bit scared to drop from seat.

Last we had lunch which wasn't that special actually. And kids didn't find much for eat there. It though seemed safe to eat despite the outdoor restaurant.