Siam Safari - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Birthday elephant safari

We visited for our 6yo's birthday while on holiday. The sanctuary was really well kept and the... read more

Reviewed January 4, 2017
Hayley T
via mobile
Fabulous and informative day out!

We had the most lovely experience here. The staff are incredible - informative, friendly, great... read more

Reviewed January 4, 2017
Peggy J
Island of Malta, Malta

1,723 results
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We booked through the travel agent before we left (creative holidays). Diethelm travel worked it all out for us and it was perfect.
We were picked up perfectly on time, and taken to Chalong, not a long drive from Karon, maybe 1/2 hour. Up in the hills it's lovely and green, and we met at a halfway house to get group stickers and a guide. There's a small souvenir shop there and toilets and water.
OUr tour said a jeep would take us up the mountain, but it was a tractor and a trailer!! We all sat in the trailer and bumped our way up the hill. Just a short trip but a bit weird.
OUr group listened to a very short talk about the elephants and the mahut, then were shown how to get on the elephants. Our family of four went in pairs.
It was a lovely trek for half an hour or so, through the beautiful green forest. Dirt paths were safe and the elephants sure footed. The mahuts were nice, and very picturesque, take your camera. It's easy to take pictures of other pairs on their elephants, and so it's a good idea for you to all have your phones or cameras to take pictures of eachother. The trainers take a picture of you too, that you can buy at the end.
We stopped at a lookout where there is a pretty view of the ocean and islands. The mahuts are happy for you to take pictures of eacother and giv eyou time to do so.
I liked how they were gentle with the elephants, one wandered off to eat some leaves, and it's mahut let it go, gave it time to do that, then got it back on the path later. Good!
I found the ride a gentle bump and sway, but my husband felt he had an elephant that wasn't 100%. He said the elephant was very uneven and bumpy, he worried about it. I noticed his seat was crooked and he did too. He thought it was unbalanced. I would recommend that if you're concerned, say something.
After the ride, we were able to feed the elephants fruit, but we had to buy it!!
Then we sat in a little grandstand to watch a few little tricks the baby elephants know, painting, picking things up, etc. The training is explained. This short little show was quite cute, but not as informative or interesting as I'd hoped.
Back down to the halfway house in the tractor trailer, and we were able to buy the photos that had been taken for 200 Bht each. I just bought one out of the two.
I was very disappointed in the photo. The quality was extremely bad, ghosting, and very bad colour. Really inexcusable for digital camera in Thailand. Or perhaps its the printer. eitherway, it's the only chance you have to get the photo, so I wish they would upgrade their photo equipment for the souvenirs. 200 Bht is a lot for a bad photo.

Overall this was a really fabulous excursion. I would highly recommend it as a fun thing for older kids to do. My teen boys loved it. I would have given it 5 stars if the talks had been more detailed and informative, if we had travelled in a jeep not a trailer, and mostly...if the photo had been decent.!
But great anyway.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and two boys (10 and 14) tagged along with mom because I wanted to see the elephants and it was amazing! Everyone really enjoyed the experience (for one reason or another).
We decided to take the half day tour and we all enjoyed learning about the rubber trees, rice, and coconuts. They also really loved feeding the elephants. I think we all felt a little guilty riding them but it was beautiful and it was so quite on the pathway you could hear the leaves of the trees rustling in the breeze. Dinner was pretty good too!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Thanks to all staff, special mention to our Mahout and Elephant for our 45 min trek through the mountains. Great views of Chalong Bay, Big Buddah and creatures in jungle.
Also enjoyed the baby elephant show and water buffalo etc.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Went on a half day tour with North East tours to Siam Safari. We carefully researched the various Elephant treks around Phuket as whilst we are not out there greenies we are animal lovers and would not support any place that doesn't treat the with care and respect. I'm happy to say our research paid off, the people running it were funny, nice and informative. No pushy merchandise selling, really nice buffet lunch and other things included like Water Buffalo, Rice, coconut oil and curry making demonstrations. We seen other treks on our travels and were sad to see the conditions those elephants were in, next to main roads chained up and pacing like they were very unsettled. Well done Siam Safari you have met the fine line between good tourist attraction, appropriate cost and thorough care of the attractions to the site.

2  Thank Kerrod C
Reviewed July 17, 2013

A great and informative day out and fantastic to see the elephants in their natural habitat, yes it felt a bit odd to ride elephants (are we exploiting for our own pleasure?) but as their website says, if we didnt pay to do this, they would not have the money for the upkeep and preservation of these majestic animals.

The ride through the jungle was slow, peaceful and scenic and the mahouts great fun. Following the ride, we learnt a little bit more about these animals and got to hand feed them, then set off on a tour which included a cooking demo, rubber making demo, bullock cart ride, many uses for coconuts and lots more.

A great tour which rivals our Phuket Sail Tour for the highlight of our trip to Phuket!

1  Thank KWhy1