“The Former "World Famous Fish and Chips"”

World Famous Fish and Chips
Ranked #8 of 12 Restaurants in Mangonui
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast
New Zealand
“The Former "World Famous Fish and Chips"”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I am sadly "the fish 'n Chip Queen" of NZ. I love fish and chips...however i love quiality fish and chips. I first visited this shop in 2008, thoroughly enjoyed the meal and experiance and ticked it off my bucket list. I was excited to be returning for another memorable feed. Oh how dissapointed was I ? We had Hapuka. $6.50 for 100gram pieces. Total rip off and for oveseas visitors trust me this is not what a NZ shop would usually charge...you are been fleeced! I also ordered oysters and i believe I paid $2.80 each but i hope I'm wrong because they were the size of a 20cent piece and I initially thought they were just stray bits of (soggy) batter!! I have truely never seen such small oysters. The chips were also on the meagre side but everything was so disgustingly greasy we didnt mind as we could not have eaten them. Infact the grease went right through the paper onto the table and ...our fingers....yuck. When we entered the shop we were greeted by a very friendly hello from the male owner(?). but after that the service wasnt so friendly. The toilets were very clean and the setting is great. We did not order drinks after the meal which we had intended to do as we didnt want to give them anymore of our money! We drove 7 hours for these fish and chips and I'm so annoyed with myself for not reading the reviews on Tripadvisor and going over the road to get them! Trust me for thoses who "know" fish and chips this is not a good meal let alone a good deal. Hope they sort themselves out soon and stop resting on the laurels of the previous awards.

Kaitaia, New Zealand
“Used to be great!!”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We have been visiting this fish & chip establishment for some years now. While a little pricey, we have found the service & food second to none. Recently, the prices have risen, with the servings smaller. The alcohol prices have also risen. On our last visit, we had hapuka fillets with chips. The hapuka appeared to have been cooked twice, with it being dry & unappetising. I took one piece back with the comment that serving this was abominable. The piece of fish was replaced with a much better piece & an apology with a lame excuse that hapuka was difficult to crisp up!! I have worked as a chef in a commercial kitchen & know that it is not the fish that is at fault but the temperature of the oil & wether the fish has been precooked or not, as this appeared to be!!

1 Thank Nev001
Christchurch
“I was very impressed with this establishment”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I'm surprised to read of some less than enjoyable meal experiences, because I found the food simply delicious. We stopped there for a meal of fish and chips en-route to Kaitaia to join the bus trip to 90 mile beach and Cape Reinga. We were away a couple of nights and returned to Paihia, stopping again for another much looked forward to meal. We were not disappointed, the fish of the day was snapper, as it was for our first meal, and it was cooked to perfection, as were the chips.

I am not a fish and chip person, however, I was aware that these were not your average fish and chips and I was a convert.

The service was quick, efficient and professional, it was value for money far beyond what we paid. I have raved about this wonderful place to everybody, just wish we lived in close proximity, we'd be very loyal customers. Thank you World, Famous Fish and Chips, Mangonui, you are going to be a hard act to follow.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Quirky”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just happened to drive past this little cafe and thought it looked quirky enough for a visit, sitting right on the waterfront behind plastic sheeted windows. The place was spotlessly clean as were the toilets. My husband and I both opted for the calamari and thick cut chips which were hot and delicious perfectly cooked. Didnt know about the past reputation but thoroughly enjoyed this little waterfront cafe, Service was smooth and excellent. Would definitely recommend it.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Selling on a reputation long since gone.”
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

We ordered a piece of fresh hapuka and seafood chowder. The fish was $6.50 and given its size I don't believe represented value as it was a small servng, although it was fresh and tasty. The chips were on the stingy side for $3.00.
The chowder was $13.50, close to what many restaurants charge and was mediocre. Since when we're shrimps representative of local NZ seafood? There was little else in it unless you count the potato.
There is better value to be had elsewhere.