“Great location but meal wasn't the best”

World Famous Fish and Chips
Ranked #8 of 12 Restaurants in Mangonui
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner
Marcoola, Australia
“Great location but meal wasn't the best”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I do love a good fish n chip meal and was looking forward to trying this place despite the reviews. Was told Blue Nose was the fish to eat up in the Northland area. The cape Reinga tour we were on stop in at this place on the return trip from the cape so that worked in well. Unfortunately our meal wasn't a good one - the fish was not Blue Nose although we were promised it was freshly caught that day. The batter was soggy and I watched them wrap it up so it's not like it sat around waiting to be colled for 10 mins or more. The meals that I saw others on the tour eating looked crispier and better than ours so we may have got a dud meal. Pity I didn't have the time to take that up with them while there to see what they may have done. Good luck here.

• Visited August 2012

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Really is World Famous...”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

This place really is world famous, can be either a blessing or a course...a quite late summer/ early autumn day it is absolutely perfect to sit out on the covered deck over the water and enjoy some classic Fish and Chips, so fresh you would swear it was swimming that morning (it likely was :P)...however its status also makes it some what of a tourist trap and its prices reflect that. not worth it on a day where its as crowded as downtown Auckland and your waiting for hours ...

• Visited April 2012
Languedoc-Roussillon, France
“Fish and Chips a la Nouvelle Zealand”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

During our stay in Northand my wife and I visited this establishment twice. The fish & chips and the platter of shellfish (prawns & mussels) were very good: the service prompt and friendly.

• Visited July 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Maybe once”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

No way was this a pleasant experience. It was swimming in cooking fat and definately not value for money

Visited May 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Potato Fritter Heaven”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I took a group of us here while travelling around the Far North; the fish was very fresh (you could taste the difference) and cooked just right, not too greasy or soggy. I introduced my husband to Kingi (he’s never tasted fish like it and keeps looking out for it in the UK) as well as smoked snapper and as for the potato fritters well that’s me - choice. I had been away from home for more years than I wish to remember, so it was a brill trip home for me. I have read the reviews and yes I guess it’s a tourist spot - let’s face it the far north has only a few months of the year to make the money to survive the whole year so as long as the service is friendly and the food (or service offered) is great then good on anyone who can make a go of it. The Far North is beautiful.

• Visited August 2011