“Excellent Food. Lovely Staff.”
Review of The Olde Post Inn

The Olde Post Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Cloverhill
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2013

What a fantastic dining experience I had at this Restaurant for Sunday Lunch recently. The food was superb, the Staff very welcoming. What more could one want on a Sunday afternoon. Will be back there again. It is a little off the beaten track for me as I live close to Dublin but I will have to say that the journey was well worth it for the positive experience I had. I would put this Restaurant on a par with Viewmount in Longford, a similar type experience.

There are newer reviews for The Olde Post Inn

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We visited The Olde Post Inn on a wet evening in April. We had 4 in our party. We arrived just after a large party of 20 or more were being settled. Normally this would worry me, but in fact the kitchen and waitresses were more than up to the task. We were settled in very nicely by the friendly staff and drinks arrived quickly and with no fuss. The food was in general excellent, between the 4 of us we tasted quite a bit of the menu. All the local providers were mentioned in the Menu. We had the 5 course set meal for €55 per head, we had 2 bottles of a very nice Pinot Grigio for €31 each. So including tip and bar drinks the bill was around €330. This may seem expensive and I mention it before the review of the food as I think that in fact, it was very good value. A 5 course meal for €55 of the quality that we were served is a real find. I had Goats cheese tartlets to start, a salad for middle course and fillet steak for main course. We also had (at the table) seared scallops, duck wontons for starters and sorbets and soups for middles and Brill for mains. The fillet steak was judged beautifully. I also tasted the tomato soup -this was a very full flavoured affair, which I thought was beautiful. The sides with the main course are large and very very flavourful. Cheesy garlic potatoes were one of the nicest side dishes i've ever eaten. All in all the food was a big hit and again, very good value. Petite fours were odd and left uneaten mostly. When the larger party started singing we were asked did we wish to move somewhere quieter (very nice touch by waitress) but we rather enjoyed the atmosphere and stayed put in our very comfortable table in an alcove just off (but still part of) the main room. I can see how the Olde Post would be a big hit in Cavan for the locals who wish to celebrate a special occasion, we travelled from Monaghan and it was well worth the trip on a wet night in April.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Heard alot about this place, but I am not sure what all the fuss was about. Felt that food was more for the presentation not to fill the belly. Great charm in the old place and the decoration but not sure if it was worth the price.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

It was my second time here after a wonderful evening my first time there. I was not disappointed the second time. The staff are so lovely and friendly and make you feel so welcome and comfortable. It is a special dining experience and the staff ensure you are well looked after without being pretentious! The food is superb, it's a set price for a 4 course menu but you still have a lot of choices available to you with a range of lovely fresh fish dishes, steak and duck. Deserts were all amazing with there own pastry chef on site they are very fresh. I had the trio of creme brulee... delicious! Also have a great wine menu and a full bar available which is great for non wine drinkers. They were very accommodating for my friend which has dairy allergies, they provided other options and tweeked dishes to suit her needs.The environment is very inviting and relaxing, it's a lovely experience. Although 55 euro ahead is expensive you really do get your value for money, the food is exceptional and you get lots of it!! I would recommend it to everyone visiting Cavan, it's a must!!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I visited this restaurant on 22nd March 2013 which was one of the coldest nights of the winter but our dining experience was very warming. We had the 5 course a la carte dinner where the only complaint was 'just too much' food. The two main course steaks were delicious and cooked to perfection, my wifes well done and mine medium to well done. Potatoes and veg cooked leaving the 'crunch' of perfectly cooked vegetables. The two Tiramso sweets were 'heaven on earth'. Each course was always served by a very pleasant waitress. As I am wheelchair bound I found the restaurant fully and easily accessable, the disabled toilet was large and laid out perfectly plus it did not also 'serve' as a baby changing room.There is accomodation but none unfortunately with disabled facilities. We had tea and cofee in front of the BLAZING open fire before going into the cold again.