“So worth the wait ........”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blacklion
MacNean House & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blacklion
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This was our third visit to this absolutely worth the wait restaurant ..we dined and stayed over last night..I'm really surprised by some negative ratings .We have gone once a year for the past 3 years and each time the excitement has been the same,we really look forward to the whole experience of feeling spoilt for the night,not only by the outstanding food but also by the staff who really can't be faulted,actually a lot of restaurants and hotels should take note on how genuine and helpful the staff are in helping you enjoy this fabulous experience ,from your welcome to your hope to see you again goodbye ,the staff are a credit to this restaurant .The food without a doubt is WOW factor ,the taste ,the presentation ,everything is perfect .Its lovely to watch other diners faces when these master pieces are put in front of them.We actually enjoy having our coffee out in the relaxing bar area,you can sit back and relax before retiring to the beautiful bedrooms.We went to bed looking forward to the breakfast !!!!!!!..which never disappoints ,it was delicious .We left smiling at yet another perfect night in MacNean house.Roll on next year.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

We dined with two other couples on Sunday 28th October after waiting six months for our table. We were unable to stay, as the rooms were already booked out!! after all the hype, and PR, I was sceptical that it would live up to its incredible reputation - it did. All six of us had an amazing experience. The staff were so welcoming and answered all our queries about different aspects of the menu with clear knowledge of their product and with great patience. The dining room is very well appointed and comfortable and each course and mini course was sublime. Hats off to all the staff in McNeans (Nevan was absent on our visit-it was still perfect). I loved the attention to detail - some of the china adding to the overall presentation of a particular dish etc. we all agreed we would love to return next year. This team is passionate about what they do and it shows.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 31, 2013

After waiting over a year (after a ridiculous process of making a booking) I was really looking forward to visiting, but I really could not understand the hype. But I must admit the waiting staff could not be faulted, very friendly and knowledgeable.

The food was nice, very well presented but there was too much of it. I have had better meals in less expensive places, furthermore the price of drinks was very expensive for where they are located. We felt very rushed after finishing dinner where the staff asked us to have our coffee in the bar area as they were keen to get the second sitting in.

Neven did not make an appearance on the first sitting, I feel he should have at least come out and work the tables to say hello, surely he could let his brigade take over for 10 mins to do a little PR!
The next morning we were told by the waiting staff that he came out, but after being ushered off out of the way after dinner into the reception area for coffee we decided to go for a walk instead of sitting in reception what felt like a waiting room as the bar area was full.

Breakfast was ok, but after all the food the night before I could not face much and it felt very rushed, we only down sat for 5 mins before being asked what we wanted.
The standard room we had was terrible, the walls are very thin and we could hear a full conversation of the people next door and all the noise from the road below which made for a very bad night’s sleep.

After staying & dining at Castle Leslie a couple of nights beforehand we felt Mac Nean house did not measure up to all the hype. Overall I wouldn't go back – really not worth the hassle especially with the ridiculous booking process. Finally we felt like it was overkill with the hard sell of brand Neven and how great he is with all the books, tea cards, magazine articles etc etc .

Room Tip: Dont stay in a standard room! Ask for a room at the rear of the property.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank evelyn82
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

One of those places that you try once, but I won't be going back. Not because there's anything wrong with it, but because it's too hard to make a booking.
A victim of its own success, in a way. We had to book six months ahead, and even then we could only get a 9.00 pm sitting. With the earlier sitting running late, we didn't start to eat until nearly ten, and we finished the meal just after midnight.
Make no mistake, the food is very good, but a bit pricey at more than €70 per head plus drinks. Good quality good though, well presented and served by excellent staff.
Rooms were nice, but nothing special. Breakfast was worth the overnight stay though, as good as I've ever eaten, anywhere.
Overall I couldn't complain about the place, but I wouldn't go back -- not worth the hassle. We had dinner the following evening in the Cottage Restaurant in Jamestown, near Carrick on Shannon, and it was right up there with macnean house, at half the price and no long lead-in booking.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We received a voucher as a wedding present. I had been before, however, it was my wife's first visit. I was worried I may have over hyped my previous experience to her. We were not disappointed, from arrival to departure the service and attention from the staff was absolutely first class. Room was well appointed, homely and comfortable. The menu was varied with a good mix of all types of food. The quail was delicious starter while the beef was to die for. The bonus courses are an excellent added touch, broccoli soup especially. My wife chose the vegetarian and was not disappointed and had a scallop and monkfish starter, delicious! I had a couple of local craft beers along with my meal....try them, never tasted anything as good!
After our delicious meal (we were sitting for three hours), we retired to the bar for our tea/ coffee. There we had the pleasure of meeting the man himself, he was only too happy to chat and ask us for feedback before kindly presenting us with a signed copy of his book for our wedding. A great end to a lovely evening. Little did we know that the best was yet to come. The following morning we had the most delicious breakfast. The buffet was excellent, (brown bread still warm from the oven) while the hot food was without peer....you must try the porridge, absolutely delicious!
All in all wadi defraud experience, worth every cent, will definitely call again!
T

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Went with my girlfriend for Sunday lunch as was staying in the Slieve Russell hotel which was 40km or so away. 40 euro a head. Delicious food good service, would definitely go again excellent value. All courses were fantastic with some nice extra tastes between courses.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Funky_Thistle
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Visited McNean House last night for Birthday treat. I was worried that I had "bigged it up" too much and would be disappointed but NO it was everything I had hoped.
Party of 4 and we were all blown away, its has to be added to your "to do list".
From the front door through the whole night the staff were fabulous, Imelda and Neven both working and they have a superb team.
Every element and detail of every dish was sublime!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blacklion
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
#2 of 8 in Sligo
Belmore Court Motel
Belmore Court Motel
#1 of 7 in Enniskillen

Been to MacNean House & Restaurant? Share your experiences!