“a real treat” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of MacNean House & Restaurant

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blacklion
MacNean House & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blacklion
ireland
“a real treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

3 friends and I dined and stayed in MacNeams last night. A real treat, beautiful guestrooms and a delicious 7 course dinner with lots of tasty surprises. Such a leisurely meal with excellent friendly service in a very comfortable dining room and each course excellent. We will be back.

Room Tip: request a room to the back, early morning traffic a little busy
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank IrelandTherese

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Lunch at MacNean House really is something special and I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon. The food was outstanding with some diificult choices to be made as there were some great options. The side order of potato and sweetpotato gratin was so good we requested another!

2 Thank Sloe G
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Returned to my favourite restaurant for Sunday lunch with friends and once again I was not disappointed. The pea and mint soup was delicious. Excellent service and fabulous food - what a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!!

3 Thank Speedyreader
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We recently choose MacNean house to celebrate my mothers 94th birthday. We were really looking forward to this as a family and having met Nevens team at a recent agricultural show ( he was busy in the background) he signed a cookery book for my mother but unfortunatly he would not be there on the night. We were also given Andrea Dohertys business card and were assured any special requests would be looked after on the night. I assumed she was front of house.
We arrived at a little after 9pm for 9.30 seating and not alone were we not greeted by ANYBODY but the five of us were left to scuttle between the dining room, reception area (unattended) and as there was no available seating we stood awkwardly at the bar. A rather pleasant girl eventually inquired "if we were here for dinner"? I kid you not. We were indeed and could we find somewhere for my elderly mother to sit please? After much ado three of us were squeezed into a seat at the bar and two of us were left to stand!! We inquired whether we could order cocktails while we waited, absolutley we could, what would we like? Well, do you have a list? No but sure I'll make you up something!! This was, I later found out, the manager.
At this stage another seat opened up "would we like to move?". We did, but to the same sized seat!! Our cocktails then arrived and two couples seeing our discomfort offered us part of their table. Cocktails were served in whiskey glasses. My sister departed to complain to said manager, to be informed that he was very sorry but "they didnt really do cocktails but it was something MacNean house were working on." That will be €35 please!!
At this stage we were handed menus and informed of the pricing structure, our orders were taken and could we now move to the dining room as our table was ready? My poor mother was moved four times in fifty minutes! Is this a record?
Thank God the food was good, we honeslty couldnt find fault there but our white wine was served in red wine glasses.
At the end of the meal we retired to the main reception area to finish our wine and as we were the last table seated the area was quite deserted. We chatted with the pleasant bartender and at approx 1am we requested the bill. However some ten minutes later we found ourselves completly alone and no one take the bill. We continued on to the deserted reception area so I opened the main door to attract attention but still nobody came. As we were paying in cash we decided to leave the bill and gratuity on the counter.
Having neirher been greeted or thanked we retired into the night..........
On returing home the following everning it occured to me that I actually had no proof I had paid said bill and what if my credit card was subsequently charged? I located Andrea's business card and left a message. She subsequently called back and I explained the problem, was assured all was in order. I again explained to her the experience we had and was assured "Neven would be gutted to hear this and to leave it with her".
Unfortunately I never heard from Andrea or MacNean house agaiin. I guess its a case of you should be honoured to dine in our esteemed restaurant and as you probably wont be back we really couldnt care less.........
In case anyone is under the illusion that this is from an opposing restaurant my email address is galwaygirl63@yahoo.com. If I'm emailed I'll be more than happy to give my phone number and talk to you in person. I have worked in the hospitality industry both here and abroad over the years and can honestly say "Neven you need to get your ship in order".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank Geraldine G
LIFFORD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

This was my 2nd trip to Mc Neans and yet another wonderful experience. I have eaten in many restaurants worldwide and Mc Neans is still at the top of my list. We booked well in advance as we were celebrating my parents' 50th wedding anniversary - my only complaint would be the booking method at the time I booked was very frustrating given I spent the most part of 2 days trying to get through on the phones after the next batch of dates were released phoning constantly - but hopefully a new system will be introduced in that regard. As for the dining experience itself - just class is all I can say. From you are greeted at the door the staff are so professional but extremely warm and friendly, they simply can't do enough to make your experience at Mc Neans an enjoyable one - every one of them plays their part and I give them all full marks for customer service. The decor and ambience - again full marks, beautiful muted tones of mulberry and champagne and comfy furniture without being 'stuffy'. The meal was sublime, there was 6 in our group and each of us thoroughly enjoyed every course. We had our coffee in a little snug off the main reception/lounge area and Neven took the time to come down and talk to us (without being rushed at all - despite the fact the restaurant was full), presented my Mum with a signed book and an Anniversary wish within and was more than willing to get photos taken with my parents. Also told us when we were leaving to let him know and he would come back out and get some group photos in the hall before we left. We mentioned my sister had driven up from Kilmuckridge in Wexford for the meal and was driving home again (8-9 hr round trip) the staff gave her a beautiful box of Petit Fours to nibble en route - the Manager at the checkout even offered to give her a bottle of his own Lucozade from the back store to take with her on the trip home to help keep her fully alert! Again when we were leaving Neven, as promised, came out and got more photos taken. All in all, there was absolutely nothing more could have been done to make our experience any more enjoyable - the staff, the ambience, the decor, the food, the customer service - absolutely full marks Nevin & the team, can't score you highly enough. Already looking forward to my next booking!! Well done to all and thank you so much for making my parents' 50th Anniversary so memorable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kerry-A67
Western Ireland, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Just back from a very pleasant stay at MacNean House & Restaurant. We were very fortunate to be given a gift voucher for Christmas. We waited 8 long months for the our Thursday night reservation & delighted to say we were not disappointed. We were greeted with a smile & warm welcomed & Irene personally showed us to our Room and what a beautiful room it was too (no 22). There was brandy, fresh fruit & homemade cookies in our room on arrival, nice touch and the cookies were yum!
We got ready for dinner & went downstairs for dinner at 6pm. It was really busy & once again greeted by a lovely barman. Indeed all the staff were very friendly, you could see they clearly loved working there.
We had drinks & canapés, our order was taken & we were escorted to the dining room. We received great advise on our choice of wine & waiter/waitress explained every course to perfection.
I must say the quail was excellent, indeed the whole meal from start to finish was worth every cent!
The breakfast was the best we ever had, it really would set you up for the day!
Its not the cheapest 1 night BB & D but was a rare treat for us & will certainly return (whenever we can get a booking & babysitter!)
Sorry I cannot remember the names of all the staff, but THANK YOU All. You treated everyone the same & it was a pleasure to meet you all. Next time we might even be lucky enough to meet Neven himself!

• Stayed September 2013
      Rooms
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful restaurant. Food magnificent staff very pleasant excellent service. We met Neven Maguire who is a very nice down to earth person. He is exactly as he is on television. A wonderful chef and as he said with a terrific team. I would recommend a visit to this restaurant. We couldn't stay overnight but next time we will.

• Stayed August 2013
      Cleanliness
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blacklion
Lough Erne Resort
The Enniskillen Hotel
#6 of 7 in Enniskillen
Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges
Customs House Country Inn

Been to MacNean House & Restaurant? Share your experiences!