“Amazing!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blacklion
MacNean House & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blacklion
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed here with my sister on 15th July for b&b..such a taste experience! Breakfast was the best I've ever tasted, the porridge is definitely the one thing not to miss! Have had the pleasure of an amazing meal here with my boyfriend about 6months ago and booked again already to go with the girlies for a treat in November. Worth every cent. Nevin is an absolute gentleman and such a hard worker. Never leaves the restaurant before speaking with every single diner, and in doing so makes everyone feel so special! Couldn't recommend it highly enough..can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed June 22, 2013

No need for an excessive review here.... Quite frankly the best meal we have ever had. An indulgence but has to be done. Friends had been here and we had worries about the room but ours was fantastic... We photos.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We booked our visit last September on the opening day for bookings as we were so impressed by our first stay - review is available on Tripadvisor.
After our first visit we were so impressed we told all our friends and family and actually bought a few people giftcards as gifts.
Unfortunately, I was disappointed and underawed with this visit. I have raised all the points below with MacNean House firstly via a private message on their Facebook page to which I received no reply and then via email. It took a full week to get an acknowledgement of this and two weeks for Neven to reply. The response was obviously a run of the mill standard reply and made no reference to any of the points below. Up until that point I would have been prepared to have given it the benefit of the doubt and returned but definately not now.
Our visit cost for an overnight stay, prestige menu with wine cost well in excess of 400euro so I do expect my experience to reflect this.
On arrival, the member of staff who greeted us asked if this was our first visit, to which we replied that we had stayed before. 'Oh, thought I recognised you!' - obviously not true, this happened twice! I would have thought they should have all this on file so that you could be greeted by name, etc. Irritating but harmless.
On our past stay there was a complimentary cook book which was a lovely touch. This was missing this time and whilst I can understand cutbacks under the current economic climate, we were paying for a junior suite. When I mentioned that it was a lovely addition to our stay and we missed this time, the lady on check out insisted that it was stopped 18 months ago at least. Strange that it was there when we visited 8 months prior.
The prestige menu on our previous stay had two choices which was ideal so we could take a choice each, this time it was a set menu no choices. Given the price I found this disappointing. My husband doesn't like chocolate desserts but it was take it or leave it. There was no mention of dessert choices on the other menus.
The room was very crowded but we were delighted to have the same table as before but there was only enough room for staff to move in and out of, hardly intimate but the nail in the coffin for this was when one of the ladies at a table of six next to us moved slightly out from her table and started running her fingers through her hair, one of which landed on the table next to my husband - yuk!
We did get a giggle when the staff were explaining the food/wine as the majority of the comments were directed to my husband.
At the end of our meal, we were asked to go to the bar for our tea and coffee as they wanted to start the next sitting, there was no room at the bar and we were redirected to the landing! It was so awkward, the member of staff took two trips to bring it up and we felt like prize idiots!
Neven was not present during our stay or as I said in my messages to him, I would have made my comments personally but given the lack of response I did receive 'It is regretful that your dining experience in May was not as you expected, however I will give consideration to your points and discuss them with my team as we continue to improve at Mac Nean House.' As you can see a standard response that took two weeks to receive.
In saying this, I have to be fair, the staff are friendly, the junior suite is gorgeous and the breakfast is fantastic. So if you are going enjoy! If this had of been our first time I would have been none the wiser and would have probably been impressed. I suppose once you have had a great experience you at least expect the same or better and this unfortunately did not live up to this.

Room Tip: Junior suite is gorgeous.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Tyrone-lassie
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Waited a long time to get to MacNean House, it was well worth the wait we could only get the early dinner sitting at 6.00 p.m. The meal was absolutely fabulous. We were glad that we ate early because of the amount of different foods, our stomachs had a chance to recover before we went to bed. We couldn't get to stay overnight as they were fully booked, so stayed in Belcoo, just over the bridge in The Custom House, it was also very good.

We were very lucky got to meet Nevin,he really is a nice friendly person.

The only negative thing I could say about MacNean House is that the tables in the dining area are too close together. When you are eating or talking the people at the next table can see and hear everything, I would have preferred a little more privacy.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Just back from one night dinner b&b stay at mc nean house and restaurant. Everything about this place is five star. Attentive friendly staff, food is delicious, rooms were clean, comfortable with nice decor.....well worth a trip to what is a top class restaurant. Unfortunately didn't get to meet Nevin but maybe next time!!

Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Ronan H
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Have been twice and booked to go again for sons 30th birthday dinner....faultless from start to finish...my 50th birthday family and friend treat was a great success ...highly enjoyable and most certainly recommend if you want quality and style

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank bagspackedIreland
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We are just back from celebrating our wedding anniversary in MacNean House & Restaurant and all I can say is WOW. The whole experience right from when we walked in the door yesterday until we left this morning was pleasant, welcoming and friendly. The staff are so efficient and know every last bite that is on your plate. The food and service is spectacular - it was definately worth the 8 month waiting list and we cant wait to return again. Hopefully next time we will get to meet Neven himself and thank im in person. The bedroom was cosy, spotlessly clean and the bathroom was so spacious...I didnt want to leave this morning.
Sincere thanks to one and all - there a few other hotels and restaurants that should take leaf out of your book - you surely do know how to treat your guests.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the back as we did experience some noise from people le...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blacklion
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh

Been to MacNean House & Restaurant? Share your experiences!