“Family Meal”
Review of MacNean Restaurant

MacNean Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Blacklion
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dublin, Ireland
“Family Meal”
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

I had the great pleasure of having a meal with my mum and three sisters at Macnean and it certainly lived up to its reputation. The atmosphere on arrival, the friendly staff and classy decor added to the overall experience. The meal itself was second to none and I would say it was one of the best meals I have ever had. Favourite part of the meal was the venison and particularly appreciated when staff suggested how I should have had it cooked, as it was amazing.
I have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant and look forward to eating again here in the future.

Visited July 2013

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, great service”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Took my newly acquired fiancee (hope she doesn't read that phrase...) here to celebrate our recent engagement. We arrived, waited in the bar and Neven Maguire (head chef / owner) was doing the rounds and asked why we were dining with him. When we told of our engagement it was drinks on the house and a signed copy of his most recent book (!).
The food was amazing. MacNeans do things with food that surprise you, delicate and rich, small yet filling dishes. The wide range of choice will not disappoint, the only issue is finding enough room in your stomach.
Blacklion is such a strange location for this superb restaurant - easily one of the best I have ever dined in.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Michael M
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,243 helpful votes
“Worth the wait- a great experience”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Having visiting MacNean restaurant once before, I was really looking forward to our return visit! We booked in months in advance due to the popularity and great reputation of the resaurant. And again, the food was top class. It really is an experience visiting MacNean house- experiencing all the different and carefully thought out flavours and just to see the attention to detail in presentation too. The staff were incredible, very professional and polite but not too over-bearing. They have the balance just right. The speed at which the food is brought out is perfect too, not too rushed at all and it gives plenty of time to just relax and enjoy the evening. I will definitely be returning again, possibly for Sunday lunch next time! If you are thinking about booking this restaurant, I'd highly recommend it- it is worth the long wait!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank champkis
Cavan, Ireland
“A little Gem in the West of Cavan”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I went to MacNean restaurant as part of a Geopark Gourmet Tour. We visited the Marble Arch Caves then went to MacNean's for our lunch. Wonderful experience. The staff are like no other staff I have ever met. They are gracious and polite and really take care of you without being constantly in your face and making you feel that you are being watched. There where children in our party and they were treated as well as we where. The little girl at my table was given chicken nuggets and chips and a special child friendly desert.
The restaurant itself is very comfortable with attractive but neutral decor which made, me anyway, feel very relaxed.
The food was lovely, a little greasy and heavy for lunch but great variety of tastes and textures. Nevin himself came out to say hello to us and he seems like a very genuinely nice man. We went to see the Cavan Burren after our meal and it was a relief to get a bit of exercise.
I would love to experience this restaurant again but with a smaller party and more time to relaxe and enjoy. I am hoping that some day I will be able to experience the evening meal and maybe even stay over, rumour is the breakfast is the even nicer than dinner.

• Visited May 2014
Limerick, Ireland
“Good food average accommodation”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We arrived in the afternoon for dinner and an overnight. We were disappointed with our room to the front and at the top of the building. Two flights of stairs and no lift. The room was basic no bath or air conditioning. The room was very warm even with the rads turned off. We opened one of the windows but could not sleep very well with the noise from the road.
The meal and service was excellant. Staff were top class at explaining each course.
Breakfast again was top class both food and service - just two comments, orange did not taste like it was freshly squeezed and there was not any fresh fruit available.

• Visited May 2014