“Good fine dining experience”
Review of MacNean Restaurant

MacNean Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Blacklion
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was our first visit to MacNeans House & Restaurant courtesy of my husband for my birthday. It was an overnight stay which is definitely a must if it reaches your budget.
The house is beautifully decorated with both old and a hint of modern style.
The bedroom was gorgeous, huge and spotlessly clean as was the bathroom. Bed very comfortable and had a great nights sleep.
Now on to the highlight of the evening, the meal....from the minute you enter MacNean you are made feel so welcome by every member of staff. Each & every one of them are very professional and appear to really love their work. We went for the 6 course meal costing €72 each, every course would melt in your mouth and there is a few pleasant surprises during the meal. Between both of us we had, scallops, lobster, beef, rabbit, pork, chocolate fondant & clementine ice cream & sorbets which were all amazing - the sauces for each dish were delicious. Service was excellent and just enough time left between courses.
Breakfast was gorgeous too, both of us had the traditional Irish breakfast and it was the best I have ever tasted, sausages & rashers were so tasty.
Unfortunately, we didn't get to meet Neven which was disappointing but maybe next time.
Tip for first timers going to try it out, you really need to appreciate fine dining as the portions of each course are small but you will definitely full after the whole meal!

2  Thank simple0119
There are newer reviews for MacNean Restaurant

Reviewed January 13, 2013

had a great experience in this restaurant/guesthouse, meeting Neven Maguire himself. the food is of a very high stardard and the staff are excellent, one thing i would have to say is that i think its a little over priced for todays market. Also my wife was very unfortunate to find a large piece of shell in her lobster starter and a hair in her second course of quail!whilst Neven was very apologetic and gave her two cookbooks, one of which was his most recent, as well as taking 20e off the bill, it did leave us with a sour taste given that we were paying 72e per head for dinner alone.

3  Thank evan c
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was my 4th visit here, the atmosphere is perfect, the service to match but the flavours that come out in each forkful of food are exceptional. The quality in his food produce is the best there is. Yes it is a touch expensive but well worth a visit and a treat for that special occasion. Presentation of the dishes are like a piece of art. Then one must relax in the beautiful lounge area afterwards as its sheer bliss !!. I have never stayed over yet as its almost impossible to get a booking but one day !! Nevin has often come out and chatted to his guests which is a lovely touch.

2  Thank Annasligo
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I visited here in Novermber with my mother and sister for a birthday celebration and stayed overnight. The whole experience was excellent with interconnecting bedrooms that were very comfortable, a meal that lasted 3/1/2 hours with friendly and helpful recommendations regarding food and wine by staff when ordering and an explanation of everything on the plate when it arrived followed by a lovely breakfast the next morning. Aside from the fabulous food, the friendly staff made it a wonderful visit. We are still talking about it. I didn't realise that bookings are over three months in advance but when I phoned I was asked if I wished to be contacted in the event of a cancellation. I didn't expect to hear anymore so was delighted when MacNean's got back to advise they coudl accommodate us.

1  Thank Damadub
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Everything was really perfection. Staff were so pleasant and never rushed you at all. Nevin came to meet and greet all the diners and made everyone so welcome. From starter to desert we really enjoyed it all. Also we had little palate cleanser in between each meal, nice touch. Will definitely be back. Only problem is - there is long waiting list to book next meal !! Says.it all.......

1  Thank daisell