“A hidden gem in our Irish countryside.”

Crover House Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mountnugent
Reviewed August 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a few nights. It was just the tonic and the good weather made you think you could be anywhere abroad. Being part Cavan & Donegal I was delighted that a Donegal man took over the Management of this beautiful quaint Hotel and Golf Club on the banks of Lough Sheelin, We had fine dining on the first night with starters and mains that were truly delightful. The price for our stay included one round of Golf and two dinners. The staff were more than pleasent and delightful. Our room was at the front of the Hotel overlooking the Golf Course and Lough Sheelin. The Manager, Eamonn Gillespie, worked in Harvey's Point prior to his arrival at Crover and has a 2 year project for the hotel in mind. Again for those who want a quite hideaway with beautiful surrounds will absolutely love this place. Maybe as part of the project bottled water in the rooms would be nice.

Room Tip: Get your room at the front overlooking the lake and the golf course.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Crover House Hotel & Golf Club

Reviewed August 10, 2014

I just celebrated my wedding in this hotel and i have to say everything about the hotel is fantastic, the hotel it's self is amazing and the views and grounds are truly breathtaking. The staff are all very friendly and well trained, they really go out of their way to help in any way they can. I would recommend this hotel to everyone, my wedding day was spectacular and a day i will never forget, the food was great and service second-to-none. Thank you to all the staff of Crover house hotel for making my wedding day that extra bit special, From Sharon & Francis x.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon F
Reviewed August 8, 2014

While out driving we came across this hidden 'gem' in the country sitting on the waters edge of Lough Sheelin. When we arrived the hotel bar was very busy and we were told we would have to wait up to 45 minutes for a table. Great to see on a Tuesday evening, for a hotel which stands alone, so they are obviously doing something right. Having witness the food coming from the kitchen we decided to wait as it looked and smelted so good. We went for a quick stroll around the hotel grounds, golf course and down to the lake. The landscape and views are just breath-taking. We returned to the hotel after about 30 minutes and waited at the bar for our table. The waitress apologised as our table still wasn't ready, but seeing as the bar was soo busy we understood. We did get our table within the 45 minute wait and were seated by the window. The view is just amazing!! Our order was taken promptly and when we received our food we weren't disappointed. There was 7 in our party and everyone cleaned their plates. All the tables where full and still people looking to get in but the waitress still had time to visit our table to make sure everything was OK. I don't write reviews but having read the previous review I felt I had to write as I too was at Crover on a busy evening and the staff from reception to the waitress were nothing more than helpful and the food delicious. Keep up the good work and cant wait to return!!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank darcy n
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Crover's idyllic setting has long made it a favourite with locals both for functions and for a relaxing lunch/dinner looking out over the lake.
An extended family gathering here a couple of months ago was disappointing both in terms of service and quality of food. However, several of us gave it another try for an evening meal and things appear to have gone from bad to worse. Staff were inhospitable bordering on rude when we got there and the service was abominable. We waited at least 20 minutes just to have our order taken and then only because one of us had complained. At one stage, I kid you not, we watched one of the waiting staff cleaning windows rather than taking away our used plates, which had been sitting in front of us for ages. The food itself was abysmal. Half the dishes were unavailable and what did come was really poor, verging on the inedible.
Quite evidently something catastrophic was going wrong in the kitchen. The whole impression was of staff manfully trying to bale water out of a sinking ship.
A generous two stars, one for a member of staff who genuinely tried and one for the hotel knocking all the drinks off the bill by way of apology.
Come on Crover! Get your kitchen sorted out! Until they do, come and enjoy the wonderful view, maybe even have a drink or two, but get back in the car if you want a decent meal.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Andy H
CroverHouseHotel, General Manager at Crover House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Thank you for submitting a review on your recent visit to Crover House Hotel.

I was indeed very alarmed and upset to read its contents, so much so I called a meeting with my management to discuss. On the evening of your visit 2 of my senior managers where on duty and recall dealing with your party. The hotel was extremely busy as I am sure you will appreciate it is that time of year. My managers are truly 'gob-smacked' when you refereed to the hospitality you received as to quote "inhospitable, bordering rude" where in fact they went out of their want to accommodate. The Host on Duty explained there would be a delay of approx. 20 - 30 minutes. Reference your quote "half the dishes where unavailable" this is a gross exaggeration, as of investigating same with Head Chef 2 items where off the menu Brie Wedges and Duck. It is your entitlement as per your quote to say "something catastrophic was going on in the kitchen". On investigating this nothing catastrophic was going on in the kitchen, the delays and running out of 2 items where primarily due to the huge volume of guests who visited Crover on that evening for which I profusely apologise for this inconvenience. Everyone is entitled to personally grade visited property's however, I always prefer to receive accolades and starring from the relevant authority's. The Manager on Duty informed me that a very generous tip of €20 was given from one of your party, for the life of me...why was this done if you are so discontent. I do hope you will visit Crover again and hopefully your next review will be more complimentary. Kind regards.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed here for a wedding on 19th July, and the venue really wowed! What a fab location. The wedding ballroom is beautiful with windows all around, great to have natural light! Good was lovely, room was great, very hard to fault this place!
Think this would be a lovely place to stay for a weekend away from it all!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank MR8076
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Attended a wedding here recently. The surroundings/gardens/views are amazing. I was however disappointed with the hotel itself. While some of it is newly decorated some parts are in need of work. The food was very disappointing to say the least. Staff were friendly but lacked experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Rachael65
Reviewed August 5, 2014

On July 19th, we had our perfect wedding at Crover House Hotel. I have always loved the setting of the hotel and was delighted when it was available for our chosen date when we booked it nearly 3 years ago.
Even then the hotel was fabulous but early this year the arrival area and bar had a makeover which is really lovely and classy and such a nice area for your guests when they arrive for a sparkling wine reception! The ballroom is a lovely room which is tastefully decorated and inviting. The meal was served quickly, it was steaming hot and the generous portions got plenty of good feedback as well!! The turnaround from the meal to the evening reception took no time and we were able to stay in the ballroom which was great as it meant that there was no break in the atmosphere.
The bedrooms are well equipped, clean and comfortable.
No hotel is anything without its team and we were lucky enough to deal with Evelyn Goldrick who has been with the hotel since she left school and treats every wedding with great enthusiasm, like it is the first one she has dealt with rather than the three or four a week she is probably dealing with! She was so enthusiastic and helpful when talking through ideas and trying to add touches which would make our day personal to us.
Laterally, a new general manager joined the hotel called Eamon and he has been driving the changes and upgrades to the hotel which are really taking the hotel a cut above the rest. Attention to detail and a love of the job is evident with Eamon and we were delighted with everything he did for us as well.
Also, we had a big crowd of guests who travelled from Scotland as my lovely groom is Scottish and I was so proud of the warm welcome extended to them all and they were all delighted with the hotel and had a great time at the wedding.
Overall, if you are looking for a unique wedding venue in a stunning location with everything you would need for a great wedding, then look no further than Crover House Hotel, its wonderful team of staff and everything it has to offer.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mountnugent
Lakeside Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kingscourt
Cavan Crystal Hotel
Cavan Crystal Hotel
#1 of 4 in Cavan

Been to Crover House Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!