Tripadvisor
Ballyconnell
2,143 results
All reviews setanta restaurant kells bar superior room afternoon tea hydrotherapy suite slieve russel beautiful hotel leisure centre tennis courts changing rooms night break both nights lovely walk groupon deal family break bar food beautiful grounds
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed in a classic room and we won't be doing that again. We were in a group booking and so our room was allocated to us, rather than our own choice. So if you are simply looking for access to the extensive amenities of the hotel then you might have reason to stay in a classic room. Apart from that, you probably wouldn't, that is assuming they are all to the same standard as the one we had.

The bathroom is small with a tiny bath and a rainfall shower over the bath. The base of the bath is so narrow you can barely stand with your feet flat, unless you keep them tight together and you are almost guaranteed to bruise your elbows if washing your hair, due to the narrow area and the shelves in the shower. The rainfall is pleasant to stand under but watch out for the lake you have created on the bathroom floor, through no fault of your own. The sink tap is set back too far from the sink which means when washing your hands you flood that area. The internal fan is extremely noisy and there was an intermittently faulty ballcock which provided trickling sound effects.

The bed is a double, as advertised but the pillows are not full sized. Perhaps this is to make you think that the bed is bigger in size but it just increased our frustration rather than impressing us with the optical illusion. The bed was fairly comfortable, just not the pillows.

I hope you are not planning to read in bed as the bedside lights only provide an ambient glow. Meanwhile the other spotlights in the bedroom do not lift the general gloom much and are not situated correctly relative to the mirrors. It was a dark room with two Georgian style sash windows offering a dull view over roofs and ducts. There was unwanted light from the gap all around the main door into the room, which also allowed access for unwanted sound. The other nightlight effect was from the blue digital clock and standby light on the TV which do not turn off even when you take out the key card from the electric slot. We shrouded this to block it out. We did have a window which opened, one positive.

The storage space in the room was inadequate for even a two night stay, 2 drawers and 2 open shelves alongside a small wardrobe with restricted access unless you moved the chair. I am glad we left our walking gear and other outdoor layers in the car as there would not have been anywhere to put that away. (there are three shelves but the tea tray sits on one and then has to be moved to the dressing table to allow you to plug in the kettle which then means you need to move everything else out of the way on the dressing table, which is not big in the first place. We did enjoy being able to make a cup of tea but no herbal tea options, just tea or coffee)

All in all the room was a huge disappointment and did not provide the sanctuary or idyllic retreat you would look for at the end of a long day.

The grounds are beautiful and the walk around them was a highlight. The gym is large, and had a lot of equipment although the majority of the machines are a bit dated.

The food overall was ok, but just ok. The fresh fruit selection at breakfast was limited. Nothing more interesting such as fresh pineapple or some berries appeared.
We had melon, apples, fruit salad (which was predominantly apples), oranges and plums but not even something as exotic as a banana on offer. The variety overall with cooked and continental selection on offer was tolerable for a weekend but would get a bit boring if staying for longer.

Should we return it will be because of the grounds and the facilities but we will be considering the room specs carefully.

1  Thank travelrbelfast
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am sorry to learn you bedroom did not meet your expectations. We have 222 rooms with different view and features and we have five different room types from classic, deluxe, superior, junior suite and executive suite. It is unfortunate you did not make us aware of your dissatisfaction during your stay and we could have offered you an alternative room. Thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the future, as we would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely spacious room and bathroom. We booked a twin room and had 2 very comfy double beds. The bathroom had a bath and separate shower with lovely Elemis products. We had the thermal suite to ourselves which was great, I wouldn’t like to be there when there were a lot of guests! The hotel itself is very big and impersonal but I have no complaints about it and would go back again. The breakfast was great with everything you could want (except scones!)

Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed all aspects of your time with us. Thank you for you review and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed January 15, 2020

3 nights here for a business trip. The hotel is impressive inside and in terms of scale, fittings, cleanliness & maintenance.

My room was incredibly spacious, the bed was just right. However the TV is a bit stingy and rigidly fixed to the wall, not on a hinged bracket so only really viewable from the bed nearest the window.

The bathroom is clean and well appointed. The shower was like standing in a car wash, I had to drag myself out!

HUGE thanks to the room service people who kept me topped up with teabags & milk far in excess of the usual norm (and replied humorously to my pleading messages for same :-) ).

The food in the restaurant (2 nights) & bar (1 night) was extremely good quality, well presented & well serviced by the staff (although my steak arrived medium instead of rare 1st night - hardly an Extinction Level Event...).

I didn't get to try the leisure facilities although some of my colleagues did & spoke highly of them.

All in all, a very pleasant stay. I wouldn't hesitate to come here for a holiday visit.

Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am happy to note your positive comments regarding your room, food and our room service team, I will pass this on to them. Thank you for your review and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed January 12, 2020 via mobile

From I drove up to the hotel I had a great feeling about it . I was not disappointed when I got inside , it is simply the best hotel I've stayed in . The staff are so friendly and polite , and nothing is to much trouble . We stayed in room 549 , when we opened the door and stepped inside it was an amazing room .A huge bed and spotlessly clean and tidy . A big bonus for me was the fridge . We ate at both restaurants on our stay and it was delicious food on both nights . We will definitely be back very soon for another visit . Thank you guys for making our stay a very memorable one .

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank JohnHancock564
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed all aspects of your time with us on your New Year's Eve stay. Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed January 8, 2020 via mobile

Went here as a couple to get some quiet time. The place was extremely busy to a point we couldn't get a seat in the bar. There was a high volume of children on the premises also. The establishment is very nice and well kept however I feel the facilities couldn't cope with the capacity of people. It was just after new year so this may have been the reason the place was so busy.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kiri M
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2020

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your time with us. As a family friendly hotel we do tend to be quite busy with families over school holidays and the festive period. However I do hope that you will return again in the future as many couples enjoy visiting Slieve Russell for a quiet break and I would genuinely love for you to experience this on another occasion and restore your faith in us. Kind regards, Tony Walker.