“A Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballyconnell
Ireland
“A Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

We have just returned after a 1 night stay at the Slieve Russell and the only complaint that we have is that we did not visit sooner and stay longer.We intend to rectify that in the near future.From the moment we arrived we were met by courteous smiling staff even though they were busy with booking in and a wedding arrival.The interior is very well kept and spotless and as for the grounds well words fail me.We had a wonderful meal in the Restaurant and the choice and quality left nothing to be desired.We have recently stayed in other 4 star establishments(Kelly's resort hotel Rosslare and Harvey's point hotel in Donegal) but the Slieve Russell is certainly the jewel in the crown.Thank you Tony for a wonderful experience and Room 727 with it's amazing decor,4 poster bed that you could get lost in and lastly the amazing views.You can be very proud of everything you have and we will see you again quite soon.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted to read your praise for our staff, interior decor, grounds and food. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

This was our first time staying in the Slieve Russell. We were booked into a Junior Suite (635) for one night over the Easter weekend to see Tommy Tiernan who was playing in one of the function rooms. On check in, there were about 10-15 people ahead of us in the queue, and even though there were 4 women on the reception desk it was taking a long time to get through everyone. After about 20 mins we were checked and went to our room.

The room itself was amazing, we had a seperate sitting area and the largest/comfiest bed I have ever slept on! I think there was 8 pillows on the bed! The views were amazing, I think we were looking out onto the 9th or 18th hole and you could see a small lake just beyond that. Fabulous. We also had a small balcony. There was surround sound in the bathroom too. The bathroom was big and spacious. The temperature in the shower however never stayed the same. It would get hot and then go luke warm and then hot again and then luke warm. It didnt bother me that much as we were only there for one night. Also the shower gel smelled awfully like really strong toothpaste, I wasn't sure whether to wash myself or my teeth with it!

The one thing that we were really disappointed with was the food service in general. The bar food service stops at 6pm on a Saturday but it finishes at 9pmish every other night. With our schedule that night (with going to see the show starting at 7pm) the only option available to us to have dinner was to get sandwiches ordered to the room before we left to go to the show (6:45), as we were not hungry enough to have dinner before 6:00. We didnt have time to go the restaurant before the show. Both restaurants were closed by the time we came out of the show (10:00pm). Room service states on the menu that it stops serving at 9:30pm. The sandwiches that we did get were dry and lacked flavour.

Overall it is a nice hotel with a bit of charm. It was extremely busy when we were there but the staff were friendly, although the bar staff could do with putting a smile on their faces!

1 Thank mudbugbelly
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding your bedroom and the view. We have checked the shower in 635 and the temperature is consistent, but I am sorry if this wasn’t the case on Saturday night. The shower gel is Elemis Sharp Shower, Elemis is a leading luxury spa and skincare brand, however I am sorry to learn that the aroma was not to your personal taste. I am surprised to see your comment with regard to the availability of hot food on Saturday evening, as both our restaurants were open from 5pm to cater for concert attendees. I thank you for your comments and I do hope you will return to the Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Ballycastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

Just returned from our third Groupon two night break and we have to say that this time we found a real difference in the Hotel standards. We understand the economic straits felt by all these days but it is such a shame that it seems to be the quality of the menu and food that has suffered here.
On our previous visits the bar food was devine and more than ample in portion size, the menu was more limited and the food presented was just average. We did not go to the restaurant in case that had declined too. We did have a lovely meal at the Angler's Rest in Ballyconnell, very fresh and plenty of it!
The staff were very variable in their attitudes to providing friendly and helpful service this time. Although when we reported the broken bedside light this was dealt with very promply and efficiently by the Housekeeping manageress.
The afternoon tea which we had on our last day was again rather disappointing with tired sandwiches and not great quality cakes. We were very glad we had come on a deal and not paid full rate!
Of course the grounds are still as lovely as ever.

1 Thank MaryD0109
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your recent review. I am obviously most disappointed to learn that you were unhappy with both items of your bar food and afternoon tea sandwiches. Had you brought your dissatisfaction with the food items to our attention at the time, our staff would most certainly have rectified the matter. Just with regard to the bar menu, since your last visit in May 2013, we have introduced a new Kell’s Bar menu with a much wider selection of choice including a number of hot food offerings. May I thank you for your comments and I hope you will return to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

We arrived to reception to check in and was greeted by the friendliest of girls. She could not have done enough for us. Once in the room we loved the fresh large bedroom/bathroom and all it's facilities.
Peckish we went to the bar for soup and sandwiches. Barman was not interested in us. We sat on a sofa and waited... And waited. Eventually we got served by a
Very pleasant young girl. Food arrived. It was ok. I felt very overpriced for what we got. Manager (big guy) was parading barking orders at the young staff. We could hear it all. Felt that was unprofessional.
Dinner was booked that evening. We arrived to again a pleasant welcome. Menus given and what felt like 30 seconds later ' order please'. All to quick. Let's say our food order was taken before our aperitif arrived. Not great.
Food was ok again. Once again massively overpriced. My lobster and prawn bake was around I think €12. Not worth that I tell you. Pork was once again ok. Dessert order attempted to be taken 1 minute after menus put down. All to quick.
Having said this the girl who served us was ultra pleasant. Can't blame her effort. They need trained.
Breakfast was dull. Hot buffet contained fried eggs that were so congealed I passed. Not a hard thing to serve a fresh fried egg. Manager in that morning was not interested. Sat everyone on top of each other. I certainly don't want to have breakfast beside a screaming child...
This is a very busy hotel with lots of great facilities. The staff attention, range from brilliant to very poor. Some have it/some just don't care. Ps The gardens are just breathtaking.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Cherryville
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and for your kind comments regarding check-in, your bedroom and the gardens. I am surprised to read your comments regarding service in the bar and I will certainly discuss this with our Bar Manager. I apologise for your disappointment with service in the restaurant and food at breakfast and I will address these matters with the relevant personnel. I do hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future, as we would love the opportunity to restore your faith in us. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Downpatrick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

I have just returned from the Slieve Russell which has got to be the best hotel in Ireland. I can find no fault with anything in this hotel. The staff from john at the door, the receptionists, bar staff, waiting staff in the restaurant, leisure centre staff they are all so pleasant and nothing is too much trouble. We ate in the both restaurants and the food was so delicious. As a family we have been going to this hotel for the past twenty years. I used to go once a year but if i can make it at all i now go twice. Keep up the good work and thanks for a fabulous weekend

1 Thank Angela G
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your time with us. I will convey your kind words to all staff concerned and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to the Slieve Russell in the near future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Armagh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed over the weekend 11-13 April 2014. Couple, mid 40's. Very warm welcome as soon as we stepped through the door from the porter offering to help with bags, to the receptionist. Had booked a superior room-very spacious room & bathroom, spotlessly clean (& I'm fussy!), gorgeous view over the golf course, bed and pillows very comfortable, plenty of towels changed daily, no maid knocking the door at silly am to service your room :-), robes & slippers provided. Weddings and christenings in the hotel over the weekend - but it's big enough to more than cope with the numbers and has plenty of staff. Staff all polite and courteous all the time. Pool facilities clean & towels provided. Had booked spa packages also - sheer bliss! In addition & worth particular mention is the food. In all the restaurants and bar it was absolutely delicious at every meal-second to none! Definitely gets our vote for best hotel breakfast!

2 Thank LynTrev1
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your lovely review and I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us and to read your many kind comments. I do hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

I arrived at the hotel expecting great things from it and I was not disappointed. The layout of the grounds were stunning not a blade of grass out of place. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I also that they had time to talk to you and that nothing was a problem. My room had two little downers 1) the view 2) I couldn't turn off the tap at the wash hand basin I felt that the tap had been over tighten by somebody and that this was never said to anybody. I did say it to the girl whom came to clean/tidy the room. I would imagine if the I was there during the summer that I would find it very difficult to leave the secret garden. The swimming pool was fab

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ann173O
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read your kind comments regarding the staff, grounds and secret garden. I can confirm we have addressed the issue with the tap. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future, please let us know should you decide to return and we will be happy to reserve you a room with view of the beautiful surrounding countryside. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyconnell
Radisson Blu Farnham Estate Hotel, Cavan
Hotel Kilmore
Hotel Kilmore
#3 of 4 in Cavan
Errigal Country House Hotel

Been to Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club? Share your experiences!