“Love this hotel so much”

Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballyconnell
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed here recently, about our 5th time staying here and I was delighted to see the service in the hotel hasnt slipped in any way, its still as good as it always was. Plenty of room for the kids to play away and not be in the way of other guests, in the foyer rooms or in the huge sun room, and the food is just fabulous. The only downfall is that they dont have much for small kids, every year i go here i fill in the comments card and ask them for a playground as i think they so badly need it, then i would give them 5 stars.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank colleenmae
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted you have chosen to return to Slieve Russell for a fifth visit and you find our standard of service to be consistently high. We will certainly take your comment on board regarding a children’s playground, however there is one in Ballyconnell – which is 2.8km from the hotel. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Prior to arriving at the hotel I had emailed the hotel during the week informing them that my sister was celebrating a very 'special' birthday at the weekend and I would really appreciate a if they 'could allocate us a 'special' twin room with a good view'. I received a reply from hotel reservations stating that we're were booked into a deluxe room and 'these all look out onto the garden courtyard'
We arrived on Friday afternoon and booked in and we then went to our 'deluxe' room and after opening the curtains what a shock....no garden courtyard but the hotel back yard complete with a white van...the following morning we had to leave our curtains closed because this yard was in constant use by hotel staff who passed up and down outside our window....!!
A bit of privacy could be restored immediately if net curtains were fixed to the windows and the shrubs which were growing outside the window were allowed to mature with time...these shrubs had been cut back hard to almost ground level...
We enjoyed all the facilities of this first class hotel...great bedroom and bathroom, excellent food both at breakfast and dinner and extremely helpful, efficient and friendly staff unfortunately 'our room with no view' put a damper on what was otherwise a great weekend and my sister thoroughly enjoyed her birthday trip.

Room Tip: Say NO to room 504
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank FourCrazyIrish
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read you had a great weekend and your kind comments regarding the bedroom, food and staff. I am very sorry that reservations did not facilitate your wish for a room with a view, we would normally accommodate such requests, so I am assuming that the hotel must have been busy and they mustn’t have been in a position to do so. I do hope you will return to the hotel in the future, as we would welcome an opportunity to restore your faith in us. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Booked an overnight stay in the Slieve Russell for our wedding anniversary as we had our wedding reception there. We have stayed in the hotel for numerous different occasions but this was by far a very special stay besides our wedding day. On booking, I advised we were celebrating our anniversary. On check-in we were advised we would be staying in a complimentary suite, check-in was quick besides being very busy. On entering our suite we were greeted with a card wishing us a Happy Anniversary & complimentary basket of fruit, bottle of red wine and chocolates which was a huge unexpected touch & much appreciated. The suite was divided into a living area, bedroom with huge bed and had a balcony that you could sit out in. Bathroom was huge with an airbath! I booked my husband in for a pedicure in the spa as a surprise treat and he could not stop talking about it for the rest of night, unfortunately, he cannot remember the girls name that done the treatment but said she was excellent at her job & clearly it. Food was beautiful in the Setanta Restaurant & service was quick & friendly. Breakfast was lovely too (booked room service to make used of the suite!) Thank you so much to all the staff in the Setanta Restaurant, Kells Bar, Spa & Reception for making our anniversary so special for us......

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank simple0119
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted you chose to celebrate your wedding anniversary with us. I am delighted to read your many kind comments and that all aspects of your experience were enjoyable. I look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Heard alot about this hotel, arrived wednesday afternoon the fountain and shrubs around it were beautifful, reception area impressive, receptionist was very friendly as were all the staff, our room was very spacious, warm and clean, plenty of tea and coffee with biscuits, gardens and golf course spectacular all together well impressed with everything

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brenda H

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and your kind comments regarding the staff, grounds and your room. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Was here at a wedding a few weeks back. Place was absolutely buzzing. Grounds are beautiful and the main hotel areas are lovely. Food we ate at the wedding was really good and have no complaints from that side. However, on a negative side, the room we stayed was so unbelievably dated. The hairdryer was one of those old style ones that look like a hoover in the bathroom lol. Also, it cost 14e for two breakfasts to be delivered to the room. Most expensive I've seen in a hotel. Other negative was there wasn't any warm water for a shower the next day. I brought this to the girl on reception's attention and she said "sorry" and that was it !!! As a gesture, they could have at least taken the 14e room service charge off. Doesn't cut it I'm afraid. That's what let this place down. I understand the hotel is being upgraded at the moment and some friends had nicer rooms but paid the same price that we did, again doesn't add up. Disappointed after hearing such amazing things.

Room Tip: If booking this room, make sure you ask to be booked in to a newer room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Doyle123

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read your positive comments about the wedding food, hotel and grounds. I am sorry you felt the standard room you stayed in was dated and we are currently looking into upgrading these rooms. On occasion, when we have an imbalance, we do upgrade some guests to deluxe and superior rooms at no extra charge, I assume this was the case with your friends. I apologise for the problem with warm water and I am most concerned to read of the manner in which reception dealt with your feedback, this is certainly not acceptable and I will address this matter. I do hope you will return in the future and allow us an opportunity to restore your faith in us. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This hotel has all the hallmarks of the demise of the celtic tiger. It is still trying to retain the cachet it once had by charging high prices but unfortunately it is obvious it has become a hotel run by accountants. We were charged €150 for a small double room with a view of a blank wall. Admittedly when we complained we were moved to a decent room without any dispute, maybe the staff are used to these type of complaints (?). After this things proceed to go rapidly downhill.

We decided to eat in the hotel as it was Friday night and we had just driven from Dublin. After perusing menus on display in the reception area we decided our best option was the Conall Cearnach Restaurant, it was slightly more expensive than the others and we foolishly expected that the higher prices would be reflected in a higher quality.

My partner who is more expert when it comes to selecting wine picked a 2007 bottle from the list, when it arrived it was a 2010. The wine waiter made his apologies and wandered off to try to locate the bottle we ordered. We ordered our food, a steak and bruschetta. For those who might be unfamiliar this would normally be a starter in Italian restaurants. In a decent Dublin restaurant you would expect to pay less than €10 for a decent bruschetta. Since the one we ordered was priced at €18 we assumed it was going to be something special.

The food arrived (you may notice I haven't mentioned the wine). It is hard to get bruschetta wrong,fresh tomato, basel, decent olive oil and ciabatta bread is the least you would expect. Unfortunately if you start with baguette toasted you are already on your way downhill. The redish gloop it came with does not merit discussion. When it is accompanied by that old favorite of boiled cauliflower, carrots and broccoli I think there is little else that needs to be said.

Oh, I almost forgot about the wine (as we assumed everyone else had). After we looked speechlessly for a few minutes at what we were confronted with the waiter reappeared. Despite his journeying to the far reaches of the hotel he was unsuccessful in locating the bottle we ordered.

At this stage we had enough and asked could we please leave in order to avoid any more irritation. The lady in charge of the dining room made a great effort to rectify the calamity that had occurred but unfortunately it was too late. She was eager to escalate the issue to the Duty Manager but we requested she just left it as is as we really did not want to enter into further discussion.

We adjourned to the bar which was our last chance to procure some sort of sustenance. We ordered a steak sandwich and an egg sandwich. The young waitress who took our order assured us there would be no problem with providing an egg sandwich. One of us is vegetarian and we did say this just in case in order to avoid any ambiguity and we also said 'no meat, no fish'. While we were waiting the Duty Manager tracked us down and in all fairness to her made a great effort to try to sort out the dining room debacle. But unfortunately that horse has bolted.

The food arrived, one steak sandwich and one chicken sandwich!

In all fairness to the staff in the hotel they did try to sort out the problems after they had occurred. The other issues such as threadbare carpets and peeling wallpaper I won't bother going into discussing in this review.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms near to any machinery or on the ground level.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Bjornturun
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am very sorry to learn of the shortcomings you experienced during your stay in the hotel and in particular your dining experience in the Conall Cearnach Restaurant. Whilst the vintage you had chosen was not the year as listed on the menu, I am delighted that our wine waiter made an effort to check if we had this vintage listed in our other wine stores and I am sorry if you felt this delay was unacceptable. I have noted your comments regarding the bruschetta, which I have now passed to our Head Chef. In relation to your bar food order, there is absolutely no excuse for the wrong sandwich being prepared and I would like to offer my sincere apologies. It is unfortunate that our Duty Manager despite her efforts, was unable to resolve this satisfactorily for you on the night. Perhaps you might return to the hotel at some time in the future and allow us an opportunity to restore your faith in us. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding a few days ago for a wedding. The hotel looks amazing when you drive up to it, and the lobby is also very impressive. Unfortunately the room was very disappointing. Having spent almost 160€ for the night I had expected a high standard, but the room was old and dated. Perfectly clean and comfortable..just don't think they should be charging a premium price. It's possible there are new and old rooms, as our room had an old fashioned key and some friends had rooms with key cards.

The wedding food was lovely, service very efficient. Drinks at the bar were outrageously expensive.

At checkout it was a case of here's your bill, bye bye. No "did you enjoy your stay" or Thanks.

Overall the service was efficient but not friendly at all. The hotel was nice, but its way overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Molltralee

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am sorry to note your comment that the décor was dated in your room, but I am pleased you felt it was clean and comfortable. We have a number of different room categories in the hotel and on occasion we do upgrade some guests to deluxe/superior rooms on a complimentary basis. I am delighted that you enjoyed the wedding food and service. Regarding our bar prices, we monitor our pricing in comparison to other similar four star hotels and I can assure you we remain competitive. I do hope you will return to the Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyconnell
Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
#3 of 4 in Cavan
Westville Hotel
Westville Hotel
#2 of 7 in Enniskillen

Been to Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club? Share your experiences!