“Another fantastic week-end”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballyconnell
Northern Ireland
“Another fantastic week-end”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband & I have just returned from another most enjoyable week-end, at this beautiful hotel.Food is amazing,both @ breakfast,where the choice is unbelievable & dinner,was fantastic.
Easter week-end we had spring lamb,it was so good we had it two nights,beautifully cooked.deserts are very moorish!!,just couldn't resist them three nights.
The staff are most pleasant.& always welcome you by name on a return visit,this is a lovely touch.
Being the Easter break the hotel was very busy,but there were no delays in the restaurants.
We had a beautiful room,overlooking the golf course,will be returning very soon again, can't wait

Room Tip: Rooms facing the golf course are beautiful.very cosy ,& warm
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveler84674
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding food, room and staff. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We spent one night in this hotel quite recently. This was a special and surprise treat for my wife's 60th birthday. From the moment we arrived until we left we had a superb time. The room was lovely and comfy. In the evening we had a delicious 3 course meal and the breakfast the following morning was just what was needed - a satisfying fry-up ! At all times the staff were helpful, pleasant and professional. We didn't get a chance to use the spa, gym, swimming-pool, etc - but next time hopefully !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank afcdeasy
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding breakfast food, dinner in the restaurant and our staff. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Booked a couple of nights here for ourselves and the kids as it was their Easter break, was very excited to be heading there after all the good reports I've heard from family and friends. My sister heads there 2or3times a year with the kids. We booked a standard family room, but were delighted when told by reservations that we would be upgraded to a deluxe family room. First impressions of the hotel as you drive in are amazing the grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The hotel looks great. Check in was clinical, not at all friendly or welcoming or warm, bang bang here's your room number ...go. There was a brief mention of a kids club starting the following day. But little in the way of information on it.
The family room was the most disappointed I've been with a hotel room in a long long time, two double beds in a small room, hardly family friendly in size. A double bed for 2 kids is not ideal, one moving in the night would wake the other etc ... (I'm sure parents out there will understand... it seems like a small detail but it matters ). The room was spotless , there was an adequate size bathroom. But I'm just stunned that this was a deluxe family room , I'd hate to have gotten the bog standard size if that was / is the case. Disappointment aside we settled in and unpacked. We wandered about looking at the hotel and its grounds. Now the secret garden is to be commended , it is fantastic and the children loved exploring it. The bar staff were fantastic, friendly , chatty, professional and this was every member of the bar team we came across over our stay, Barry needs a special mention here for going that extra mile in his role , he is a valuable asset to this hotel bar.
So breakfast in this hotel was way below the standard one might expect, 5 cereals on offer which really became a choice of 3 for the children ( bran flakes and Special K are never going to set kids imagination on fire for breakfast cereal choices ) so corn flakes it is then, the hot food plate was not very good, I'm not going to go into the every detail , the eggs were rubbery, the sausages cold. When seated , it took 2 or 3 attempts to get a drop of tea or coffee from the very busy waiting staff , who were so concerned with clearing tables and setting up for new arrivals to the breakfast room, that they ignored the guests already present. Overall very poor choice and service.
The restaurant experience on the first night was almost comical, getting starters that weren't ordered, then getting the correct starters and then being charged for the first. My menu differed from my partners menu and there was confusion as to which menu was the correct one for that particular evening. The second night we were sat in a table near the kitchen hatch , so the traffic of people coming and going from the kitchen hatch was annoying. It was a cold spot in the room. The food was lovely , can't fault it, although I did get a nice piece of grease proof paper in the sticky toffee pudding.
We ordered afternoon tea from a menu on one of the tables in the lobby, advertised on the menu at 17.50 when it arrived the receipt had 19.50 on the price, when questioned we were rudely told "thats the new price" , apparently there has been a review of price, yet older menus still circulate , it's not about 2 euro, it's about the fact that a simple query can be met with such attitude. Am I in the wrong for having an out of date menu ? The kids club was my main disappointment with this hotel, ATTITUDE is the only word I will use to describe the experience, nothing was fully explained or explained with any level of detail and any comment or question was met with a good deal of attitude from kids club staff. One final gripe is the lack of hot food available after 10pm, wether it be in the bar, lobby or room. Perhaps the chef standing behind the breakfast counter serving the rubbery eggs could be put to better use doing late night snacks ?
It was nice to have had the experience of staying here, to see what the hype is about, it's just a pity it wasn't a nice experience. Won't be returning anytime soon.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Happysham
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and for your positive comments regarding the gardens and bar staff. I am most concerned to read of your disappointment and I have emailed you for your contact details in order to investigate this matter in full. I am sure you will appreciate from reading our other Trip Advisor reviews that your experience was not the norm and we pride ourselves on our customer satisfaction. I intend to address your concerns once I receive your reply. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Dublin
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Booked a 2 night Easter break. The deal included a meal. On arrival there was a great atmosphere in the hotel as it was full. We soon saw why. The service in this hotel is up there with the best that we have encountered. The staff couldn't do enough to look after us. Both meals at night were excellent and the breakfast, considering the numbers being catered for, was outstanding.

The rooms were perfect (view of golf course and lake) and the bar and surrounding areas great. There was even live music both nights. 10 out of 10 and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking golf course and lake
Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave G
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your wonderful review and I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your Easter break with us. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My family and I went for Sunday lunch here recently and were extremely disappointed with the manner in which we were dealt with. From the moment we entered the restaurant we were made feel very uncomfortable with very poor service throughout our meal. I rang the next day to speak to a restaurant manager but my call was never returned. I have always enjoyed previous visits to the hotel but on this occasion the experience was very unsatisfactory. I certainly have no desire to return here.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 80reils
Tony_Walker_GM, General Manager at Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Reviewer. I am most concerned to read your review and I have emailed you in order to learn some more information and look into the matter fully. This certainly is not the high standard of customer service we pride ourselves on and I shall give this matter my personal attention once I receive your reply. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
NorthernIreland
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We played here on the 24th March while most of Northern Ireland shut down due to the after effects of the blizzard. Cavan had been spared the snow but our expectations of a playable course were low given the weather conditions over the past several months. We were pleasantly surprised and, despite the Baltic conditions in a brisk wind, had a superb round. Fairways were firm and the greens running fast but true. It was a pleasure to play and the reception in the clubhouse excellent, as usual. The food on offer was great value and delicious and could not be faulted. A tremendous day to be repeated very soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bonn13dog
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read your positive comments regarding the condition of the golf course and clubhouse food. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Ireland
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel, would like to see it slightly modernised however was beautiful the grounds were gorgeous, service was great, rooms were nice, restaurant was great, food was really tasty, had the best Korma ive ever had there, my favourite part was the room with the fire, although we couldn't get near the fire because the seats beside it were taken at all times it really was my favourite room!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank OBrien25
Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read your kind comments regarding the grounds, service and food. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Slieve Russell in the future. Kind regards, Tony Walker.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyconnell
Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
Hotel Kilmore
Hotel Kilmore
#3 of 4 in Cavan
Knockninny Country House & Marina

Been to Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club? Share your experiences!