“Amazing Steaks!”
Review of Angler's Rest

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ballyconnell
Angler's Rest
Ranked #4 of 6 Ballyconnell B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

My husband and myself ate here while staying in Slieve Russell, and what can I say about our meal only it was simply out of this world!
I had Steak which was huge and cooked perfectly and my hubby had curry which he said was beautiful.
Service was quick and friendly and we have said we would actually drive the 2 hours from Belfast just to eat here!
Cannot wait for our next visit!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sam28Nireland

Reviewed May 6, 2014

I will keep this simple,
great pub grub, excellent service, huge portions, good value for money. One of the best home made burgers I have ever had the pleasure to consume, non of the pre bought ones from a local supermarket. On par with the finest you will get in America, the home of the great burger.
Def will return next time I am in the area.
Grip????? non.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PP29th
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Rang to book, but was advised no need, they'd fit us in somehow. Very friendly from the off, arrived around 7pm on a Saturday to find the place very busy, but true to their word we were quickly seated, beer got, orders taken, all very good, a lot of places could learn a lot from the customer service standards here. Floor staff alert to beer drunk, more fetched, again very quickly and happily.
The food, the men had the sirloins, the ladies the minute steaks, truly, absolutely, beyond compare! Huge steaks, all ot them, at least 20 oz for the sirloins, at least 12 oz for the minutes! Cooked to perfection, served quite quickly, huge basket of chips, only extra side was a single onion ring out of which we all had a couple! Really, really good. Then sweets, fine, not much to say except good.
Prices very reasonable for the quantity of food we were served; frankly probably only an extra tenner of food compared to most places, but they must have a sensible mark up policy which left us feeling very certain sure we weren't being fleeced, which one can feel in so many places.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Shugo3
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Was here on st patricks day and had the salmon myself. I was in when the carvery was still open so had a great selection of food which also included beef and Turkey/ham, Staff where lovely and in great humor.For a great dinner it was a great price at €8.50 and would definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Of-my-chest
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We ended up staying at the Angler's rest since our hostel of choice (Sandville House) unfortunately was fully booked. The staff was friendly and the double-room we stayed in was simple and clean (on a scale from 1-5 I'd give it at 3) BUT the room was apparently right above the kitchen and only had a single window with the kitchen's fan blowing air smelling of fried stuff right below our one and only window. The fan was amazingly noisy (almost sounded like a lawn mower) and was running constantly until 23.00 (which we expected because the host told us about it up front). When the fan finally stopped, we expected to have a quiet night ... but wrong, there was yet another source of noise located near our window (probably the compressor belonging to the kitchen's cooling chamber because it kicked in every 10 minutes for ~5 minutes) ... not exactly what I'd call a quiet room. The breakfast that came with the room was average (full irish with sausages, bacon, eggs etc.) but failed to make up for the noisy room.

Room Tip: Stay clear of room 24
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Toby T
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is a nicely presented pub with good steaks and great beer battered cod. Generally good pub food. Best of its kind in the area.

I would have given it a five if it were not for a couple of niggles, the rule about must have chips and won't substitute mash or wedges! What's that about, they require you to buy an extra side. If mash or wedges cost more the add 1 or 2 euro but that rule is silly. Also, the quality of the peas is bad, inedible.

Overall though I go there three or four times a year and would happily recommend this place to visitors.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Murray007
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My family & I are on a two night away in Co. Cavan.We are staying near Ballyconnell & decided to call in to the Anglers Rest, what a great place. Lovely pub & restaurant, have to say the food was excellent. Great choice of food & plenty on the plate.Every thing made fresh & a full house on a Wednesday night. I had to give them the seal of approval from Tripadvisor. Well Done.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family