“Don't miss it !”

Ranked #1 of 6 Ballyconnell B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“Don't miss it !”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Dungimmon House is a fantastic place to stay and will remain one of the best memories of our fabulous journey in Ireland. It is definitely the best B&B we’ve stayed in.
As soon as he opens the door, John calls you by your first name and welcomes you in a very friendly and warm way. This doesn’t make you feel as a customer, but as an old friend of the family. John doesn’t just ask you where you come from and where you’re going. No, you will have a real, friendly and pleasant conversation with him. He will also do all that he can to help you. In spite of the hour (9 p.m.), he was able to find 3 places where we could go to have dinner. Thus, thanks to him, we could enjoy a great meal with live music.
John, Grainne and their three children share their huge and very beautiful house with you. There is a comfortable and cozy room where you can sit and have coffee or tea in a pleasant environment.
Our room was big and very pretty, well decorated with beautiful colors, and everything was very clean. The bed was large and very comfortable. The bathroom was big too, beautiful, and spotless.
You will be able to sleep very well without any noise except, maybe, the rain or some birds.
In the morning, you’ll have a wonderful breakfast prepared by John. And you can choose what you want to eat on a menu! The full Irish breakfast is delicious. I tried the “pochés” eggs which were fantastic too and served with homemade incredible brown bread, and I enjoyed an exquisite porridge! In addition, you can have what you want from a beautiful buffet.
Once you have got your full coffee pot, or you tea, or whatever you asked for, you can enjoy your breakfast in a pleasant, calm and peaceful atmosphere. Through the large windows, you can admire the beautiful landscape, trees, flowers, birds, while hearing some beautiful classical music. Then you can look at the walls, just like in a museum: old pictures, former Irish notes and coins, a menu from the beginning of the 20th century (on which almost everything is written in French, so interesting!), a very relevant newspaper article, and even the old (should I write “auld”?) legend of the seven gold pots. At that point, you can imagine how difficult it is to leave that place… But when you leave, John doesn’t close the door immediately. Even if it’s raining, he stands there and says good bye to his old friends…!

I would like to thank John and Grainne for these moments of pure happiness. And I would also like to add something: I will never let any of my friends visit Ireland without spending at least one night at Dungimmon House!

John, if you ever come back to Paris with Grainne, you can call us if you want and we will be very happy to spend a few moments with you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Delia M
Dungimmonhouse, Owner at Dungimmon House, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Delia,
What a delightful review! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough account of your recent stay with us at Dungimmon House. Your attention to detail is amazing and you spotted so many positive things that we hope are noticed.

We really enjoyed having you both stay with us on your Cavan leg of your Irish tour. It was interesting listening to your stories from the places you visited and we're just sorry you didn't have more time to share some more.

We'll be sure to bear your offer in mind whenever we get to visit your beautiful city, Paris, again.

Till then, take care.

Kindest Regards
John & Grainne Deegan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Kells, Ireland
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I want to say thanks to John for his warm welcome on arrival. The house is beautiful with lots of little memorabilia to look at on the walls. It is truly worthy of any awards it has received to date. Myself, boyfriend and mother were attending a wedding in the Slieve Russell and Dungimmon was situated in a perfect location just down the road from it. The bed was so comfy and the large bathroom was a treat to use. Grainne presented us with a nice choice of breakfast menu the next morning which went down very well. Thanks again!
Sharon Cosgrove

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dungimmonhouse, Owner at Dungimmon House, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Sharon,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely Tripadvisor review following your recent stay with us. It's always good to hear that the effort we put into making our home welcoming to guests is appreciated. Nice too to read that you were impressed with the choices on the breakfast menu.

We hope your mum and boyfriend too enjoyed their brief stay in Ballyconnell and that you've taken away great memories of a perfect wedding at the Slieve Russell Hotel.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Dungimmon House. The setting was picturesque, the food was scumptious and the warm friendly atmosphere generated by the lovely staff was second to none - a delightful stay! Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank SachaCoker
Dear Sacha,

Lovely to read your review this morning and to hear of your satisfaction following your stay with us last weekend. The Birmingham crew were such a pleasure to host and we were genuinely sorry to see you leave on Saturday and Sunday morning. We do our upmost to make people feel at home while offering a tranquil and comfortable environment. It seems like you all enjoyed the wedding in the Slieve Russell Hotel and hopefully you were not too exhausted when you arrived back home to the UK.

Thanks once again, and if you find yourself in the Ballyconnell area in the future please don't pass the door!

Kindest Regards,
DONEGAL
Reviewed August 12, 2013

It has taken me over a week to compose my thoughts and emotions in order to write this review. Even now I write in trepidation such was the distress I experienced during my recent visit to Dungimmon House. I booked the accommodation by telephone some months ago as we had been invited to a family wedding, the reception for which was to be held in the Slieve Russell Hotel. I clearly stated at the time of booking that the reason for our visit was to attend a family wedding. I made a further telephone call approximately three weeks in advance of our visit enquiring as to the availability of an additional room. I stated during this conversation that the room was required for another family member who had rather belatedly decided to attend the wedding. Hence, Mr and Mrs Deegan were aware from the time of booking as to the purpose of our visit. During my two telephone conversations with Mr Deegan no reference was made to checking in time or policy with regard to noise. I note that such terms and conditions are also unavailable on the website.

On the morning of the wedding I received a text message enquiring as to our intended time of arrival at Dungimmon House, to which I replied ‘around 8’pm. I did not receive a reply indicating that this was inconvenient or otherwise inappropriate. I selected this time as the wedding ceremony was in Drumshambo, Co. Leitrim and I had to travel following the ceremony with my young child to Emyvale, Co. Monaghan for childminding purposes – a not insignificant distance. I did not think that time permitted to check in at Dungimmon House in advance of the wedding dinner. During the course of the post dinner speeches at approximately 8.25pm I received a telephone call from Mrs Deegan stating that we had not booked in at 8pm as indicated. I explained our situation and that it was difficult (and rude on my behalf) to conduct a telephone conversation during post dinner speeches. It was at this stage that Mrs Deegan outlined the requirement to check in prior to any wedding reception. I did not argue with this and the telephone conversation ended. However, such was the intonation of Mrs Deegan’s voice during the conversation that I felt compelled to leave the reception immediately and check in. Mrs Deegan met my husband and I on arrival at Dungimmon House and although polite, we did not perceive her to be overly welcoming. She again reiterated the requirement for wedding guests to check in prior to any wedding reception. We paid Mrs Deegan in full by cash, collected our room keys and returned to the wedding reception. The issue of noise was not mentioned. Mr and Mrs Deegan may argue that signs were displayed (which I noticed much later in the night) requesting that guests refrain from making noise. However, our attention was not directed towards these signs and I would suggest that guests, such as us who only spent less than five minutes in an establishment, are very unlikely to fully absorb the surroundings. Thus far, my experience felt mildly irritating but this was only the start of what transpired to be an extremely distressing experience.

We returned to Dungimmon House at approximately 4.10am. I had consumed no alcohol. My husband and brother were drunk and in a convivial manner. We brought no alcohol onto the premises and our intention was simply to retire to bed. My brother mounted the stairs first. He is adamant that there was a loose floor board at the top of the stairs and, in his convivial frame of mind, he skipped on it ONCE. As such, he made a noise. By this stage I had noticed the sign on the hall table requesting guests to refrain from making noise and I whispered to him to be quiet. He did so and we proceeded down the corridor so that I might show him to his room. We were met by Mr Deegan wagging his finger at us in an angry manner and telling us to be quiet as his three year old child was sleeping in an adjacent room. I apologised on my brother’s behalf and said that we were going to bed. Mr Deegan briefly returned to the room from which he emerged. I had difficulty inserting the key into the bedroom door lock (I’m sure this has happened to others in an unfamiliar environment). We did not request assistance but Mrs Deegan emerged from a room and crossly opened the door. Mr Deegan followed and proceeded to lambast us about making noise. An angry exchange then ensued between Mr Deegan, my husband and brother. I would strongly argue that Mr Deegan displayed by far the more aggressive and arrogant manner, and made the greatest noise of the three gentlemen. I became very (quietly) annoyed and tried to get my husband and brother to leave the establishment – this is a decision I deeply regret as the noise we made was minimal and the conflict was exacerbated rather than defused by Mr Deegan. In the meantime, Mrs Deegan informed us that she called the Gardai and that they were en route. She stated that my husband and brother would very probably be arrested for disorderly behaviour. My husband and brother stated that they still wished to stay in Dungimmon House as we had apologised for my brother’s misdemeanour, had not begun the argument and had no alternative accommodation. I convinced my husband and brother to leave the establishment to await the arrival of the Gardai. I was the last to leave the establishment on this occasion and on doing so I acknowledged to Mr and Mrs Deegan that my brother had made a noise but also stated ‘however your reaction was way over the top’. Mrs Deegan curtly replied that ‘there are no howevers’. I would strongly argue to the contrary.

My husband, brother and I then waited on the roadside at the entrance to Dungimmon House for the Gardai to arrive. They arrived within a few minutes and were very reasonable in their approach to the situation. There was no mention of arrests as intimated by Mrs Deegan. The two Gardai spoke with my husband and brother. They also spoke with Mr Deegan in the avenue. It was agreed that the Gardai would escort my husband and brother to their bedrooms. This took place without incident. I felt completely overwhelmed by events and could not bring myself to stay in an establishment where I was so very clearly unwelcome and had been so severely reprimanded and rebuked. The Gardai and I left Dungimmon House at approximately 4.40am. Concerned for my welfare, my husband also left shortly after 5am. We spent the remainder of the night in our car in the car park of the Slieve Russell Hotel – not the greatest few hours rest.

My brother did stay for the remainder of the night. I had not told him that breakfast in Dungimmon House was from 8.30-10am and therefore text messaged him with this information at around 9.45am. He entered the dining room at 10.04am to be told by Mrs Deegan that he was ‘late’. My brother was exasperated by this stage and replied ‘what are you going to do, phone the Guards?’ He was served breakfast is a petulant manner. He then attempted to make an entry in the visitors’ book and was told by Mr Deegan that they did not want ‘any graffiti’. My brother s an educated professional and I would strongly argue that visitors’ books should be accessible to both positive and negative comments. Mr Deegan essentially told my brother to leave the establishment which he very gladly did.

There are a number of factors that I find difficult to comprehend with respect to Dungimmon House:
1. This establishment is within one mile of the Slieve Russell Hotel. As such, surely a proportion of guests will be those who are attending weddings or other celebrations at the hotel. Whether we like it or not, late hours, alcohol and conviviality are usually features of such celebrations in Ireland. Guests dissatisfied with Dungimmon House seem to emanate from this group (as per reviews on this website). The reviews share commonalities in terms of rudeness, and zero tolerance for alcohol and noise by Mr and Mrs Deegan. If they would prefer not to have this group as guests, why not make this explicit at time of booking or would this be discrimination?
2. I had clearly stated at the time or booking that the purpose of our visit was to attend a family wedding in the Slieve Russell. As outlined above, guests returning from such celebrations may well keep late hours, have consumed alcohol and be in a convivial mood. Hence, there is a potential risk for some noise. So why place such guests in rooms adjacent to that of a three year old child? Surely, there was some other part of Dungimmon House where we could have been placed in order to minimise this potential risk.
3. Terms and conditions relating to check in time and noise need to be very clearly conveyed to potential and actual guests.
4. Mr and Mrs Deegan displayed very poor interpersonal skills for a couple who purport to have over 20 years’ experience in hotel management. From the moment I received the telephone call from Mrs Deegan during the post dinner speeches, I perceived that we were something of an inconvenience. The situation later in the night could have been very easily defused by Mr Deegan showing some restraint and remaining in his room – we would have been in bed within two minutes if left alone. The couple exacerbated rather than defused the ensuing conflict that arose – I seen no skills of conflict resolution.

I do not anticipate an empathetic response to this review. Indeed I fully anticipate a further rebuke having now read Mr and Mrs Deegan’s previous responses to other dissatisfied guests. However, I stand firmly over what I have written.

Dr Bernie Reid

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank 592Bernie
I would like to make the following points in response to your review of our property

1. There are no floor boards on the stairs nor the landing. The floor on your bedroom corridor is wooden (no loose boards) and it was here outside room 6 that your brother commenced to dance a Jig - an act that awoken most of our guests. You were asked only once to be quiet by John on your return to our home. John did not approach you again, I opened the door to Room 7 and was aggressively spoken to by your very drunken husband and brother. When they failed to comply with my request that they either go to bed or be quiet after a considerable time (and on awakening one of my 3 children) I then proceeded to call the Gardai.

2. You failed to mention the domestic altercation outside the front of the house between yourself and your husband, where you told him that you did not want to see or hear from again him until he was sober. You then apologised to John before leaving the two men and driving off.

3. You mention that your husband and brother were “drunk and convivial”. I would certainly not describe their manner in that way, but rather drunk and aggressive. To put it all very simply your husband and brother did not like being asked keep the noise down by another man.

4. You also mention we are approx one mile from the hotel and the majority of our guests attend weddings/functions. Thankfully however 99% of these guests don’t have to be asked to be quiet on check-in or on their return to our family home/B&B. Their positive reviews can also be viewed on this forum.

Once again sadly we find ourselves defending our business from a negative review relating to drunken and noisy behaviour. It is rather embarrassing to have to ask drunken mature people to refrain from acting like children in a schoolyard. We are after all a BED & BREAKDAST, by it's very nature nature a family home! I Should also mention that we (John & I, our children and the other guests on the night) were extremely distressed by these events and that we will continue to ensure that all of our Guests are afforded the opportunity of a peaceful and undisrupted night’s sleep.

Grainne and John Deegan
Galway
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We recently stayed in this 4 star BnB while attending a wedding in Ballyconnell. It is located in a beautiful location approx 2k from the Slieve Russell Hotel (€6 in a taxi). It boasts all of the amenities, comfort, and luxury of any 4 star hotel but it also oozes character and homeliness. The owners John and Grainne were very welcoming and we enjoyed the friendly banter over breakfast about possible sore heads or otherwise!! They seemed to take a personal interest in each guest and had a word for everyone. The breakfast was delicious, the bedroom was fabulous, and our whole experience in Dungimmon house was a positive one. I would recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Aimee B
Dear Aimee,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. It's always nice to hear positive feedback from our esteemed guests and your views on our house facilities and services are very much appreciated.

We hope you had the opportunity to visit some of the wonderful attractions in the area and that when you are in the area again you'll bear us in mind.

With best wishes,
Sydney
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We spent our final two nights in Ireland at this lovely B & B. The couple who run it are professionals in the hospitality business and it shows. It was the friendliest and most personal accommodation that we encountered in our long stay in the country. The silver service breakfast was first class and the rooms were spacious and comfortable. In reference to the last reviewer, I would appreciate a reminder to come in quietly after a late night, simple because we have had many disturbed nights when fellow guests have forgotten to do so. We had one late night in Ballyconnell and were greeted when returning to Dungimmon House with signs warning us to tread lightly - and we thought it was a great idea. County Cavan is a little off the tourist beat but it is beautiful and unspoiled. With all its lakes, it is great for fishing, as well as golfing, walking and cycling. We found the people in County Cavan to be the friendliest of all!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SydneyHarriet
Dungimmonhouse, Owner at Dungimmon House, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear SydneyHarriet,

Thank you so so much for your lovely review following your recent stay with us. It always makes us happy to know that our hard work and high standards are noticed and appreciated. We only recently changed all of our dining room cutlery to Newbridge Silver of Kildare and it obviously hasn't gone un-noticed. We hope that you had a safe and enjoyable trip back to Australia and that you'll cherish the memories of your great visit for many years to come.

Kindest Regards and thanks again,

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Wasn't going to write a review but after the most recent review i feel i should. We too stayed the same night for the same wedding and i also found management to be very rude. I cant uderstand how these people make a living though dealing with the public.

On arrival we were welcomed warmly. When asked, we were given ice so we could have a drink before we headed to the reception however along with this was a lecture about respecting other guests which was long winded and uncalled for. A friendly request would have been much more appropriate

The following morning at breakfast a woman asked my father 'how are you' to which he replied 'dying' with a little laugh. In a very serious tone she stated 'well you'll get no sympathy here' had he asked for any?? Dont think so!!

Overall the experience was not good. Yes the breakfast was nice and the room was fine but poor attitude means i'll not be back. I have two weddings to attend next year and will be booking elsewhere

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Laurz2
Dear Laura,

I will address your two comments seperately.

When your group arrived with us that afternoon you left your bags in your rooms and came looking for some ice for your bottles of vodka. I organised the ice and brought it to you in the guestlounge and had some friendly banter with you all there. As you were staying with us on a working weekday (Thursday) we had several business guests and a young family staying as well. Being a small house we need to ensure that a good night's sleep is afforded to everyone, as in the past we have had complaints from guests who were woken by guests returning from events. I asked your group in a polite manner and thanked you in advance for your co-operation.
I make no apology for asking this and ask ALL groups to respect other guests in house. It is important for guests to bear in mind that this is NOT a hotel, and you are not welcome to party after hours in our rooms or wake the house with loud behaviour on return from the hotel.

The second comment referred to your fathers banter with Grainne at breakfast. Yes he said he was 'dying' when asked, and Grainne did say 'no sympathy here'. This was friendly breakfast talk engaged with most guests who choose so. I even offered your father Paracetemol after his breakfast and he took some more for later in the day.We telephoned your father the morning you posted the review and he was surprised to hear a negative review had been posted. He claims that all were very happy with the stay and had no issues. He said he would speak to you regarding this as there was no cause to post a negative review. In fact, your family wrote in our Guest Book - "Wonderful visit, great hospitality - Thanks!" Hardly the words of a family who seemed disappointed??

I would like to finish by just saying that the discerning reader of your review will draw his or her own conclusions on your issues. We stand by our commitment to offer guests a comfortable stay, and guests who want to be disruptive, noisy and party after hours are not, and never will be welcome at Dungimmon House. You might like to read the review directly after yours from an Australian visitor who thanked us for ensuring a peaceful night's sleep was provided.

John & Grainne Deegan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyconnell
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
Lake Avenue House
Lake Avenue House
#3 of 6 in Ballyconnell
Church View Guest House B&B

Been to Dungimmon House? Share your experiences!