“great location,great service”
Review of Dungimmon House

Dungimmon House
Ranked #1 of 6 Ballyconnell B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 17, 2012

this B&B is located very close to Slieve Russell hotel (not even a 5min car ride) where we were attending wedding this is a great B&B and have to say we have stayed in some hotels that would be a patch on this place (plus i work for Hilton so expectation can be overly high at times) warm welcome huge bed like a super king! Breakfast in the morning was a healthy irish breakfast with a selection on cereal and juices. A lovely sitting room area with a tea/coffee bar very relaxing great place to meet up with the rest of the group.

all round great location friendly service and great value for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jo-monty
Dungimmonhouse, Owner at Dungimmon House, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Dear Jo-Monty,
Thank you so much for your very kind review following your recent stay at Dungimmon House. Glad you were comfortable in your kingsize bed and that you were pleased with our breakfast selection on the following morning. It is especially nice to hear honest reviews from our colleagues in the hotel business and we truly value your professional and personal opinions.
Kind Regards,
John & Grainne Deegan

Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband, my daughter and I stayed at Dungimmon House as we were attending a wedding at the nearby Slieve Russell hotel. We chose this B&B based on the many good reviews on Trip Advisor and on the photographs on their own website and neither disappointed.

The house and gardens look stunning from the road and you are not disappointed when you enter the house. The decor is warm and welcoming, as are the hosts. Grainne welcomed us and showed us to our family room which had one double bed and two single beds and plenty of extra room for suitcases etc. The room and en-suite were spotless. Although we did not use them ourselves there was a flat screen TV on the wall and complimentary toiletries in the shower room.

As we were rushing off to a wedding ceremony at the hotel we didn't have time to explore the residents lounge until the next morning but it is a beautiful room with all the decor and atmosphere of a luxurious library. There are also tea and coffee making facilities in the lounge with plenty of stock.

The breakfast was great with a choice of cereals, yogurts, juices etc and of course the obligatory Irish breakfast which was excellent. Made to order porridge is also available. Nothing was too much trouble and John & Grainne have the professionalism to know when a guest just wants a pleasant hello in the morning or if they want a friendly chat and advice on places to visit nearby.

A guest at another table asked for their flask to be filled as they were heading out for the day and this was no trouble whatsoever. I also noticed that Grainne drove two of the guests up to the hotel to pick up their cars the morning after the wedding as they had obviously got a taxi back to the B&B after the celebrations the night before.

In the beautiful gardens there are two beautiful dogs who are well fenced in which is comforting to people like myself who love animals but are nervous around dogs.

From accolades in newspapers in the Breakfast Room to Certificates of Qualifications in the hospitality industry in the reception area it is obvious that John and Grainne both have years of experience in the hospitality industry and it is evident from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave.

This Bed & Breakfast truly deserves its 4 star rating from Failte Ireland and its Certificate of Excellence from Trip Advisor. I would not hesitate to recommend Dungimmon House to anyone and hope to return there soon myself. My only regret is that I did not have time to take any photographs of the house inside and out but trust me when I say that the photographs on their own website are very reliable

Room Tip: A ground floor room is available for guests with mobility issues
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Paula F
Dungimmonhouse, Owner at Dungimmon House, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear Paula,
I don't know how to begin after reading your review....wow! Thank you so so much for taking time out to submit such a consise and detailed review. It's such a comfort to us to know that the work we put into our home and business is so appreciated by our guests, and we're so pleased that you had such a high opinion of your stay here. Sorry you never got to appreciate our guest lounge but hopefully you got the chance to grab a coffee before heading off the next morning. I enjoyed talking to both yourself and your husband, and to your young daughter, and by the time we'd finished talking you'd think we'd known each other for years!

Hopefully your experience of Cavan county will encourage you to visit the area again, and when you do please do not hesitate to contact us in advance. Best wishes to you all, John & Grainne Deegan and family.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed in Dungimmon House about 3 years ago, when we just stopped on chance. This time we booked and were not disappointed. It was even better than before. I really love the hotel quality crispness of the bedlinen and we had an even bigger room this time.
We took our cuppa out to the garden and enjoyed some rare sunshine. Our stay was topped off with a beautiful breakfast, The potato bread was new since the last time and it was lovely.
Spotless, friendly, beauliful room, great food. What more could you ask for.
Bridie

Room Tip: The large downstairs family room was really lovely with a nice view over the garden and " baby...
1  Thank bridbuckley1

Dear Bridie,
Thank you so much for your kind review following your recent stay with us. It was lovely to have you return to us having stayed here in 2009. Our children in particular remembered your miniature dachshund and were delighted that he (she?) joined you again this time. I have to compliment you on your dog's impecable behaviour....you'd never know it was here. Delighted too that you felt so comfortable here and that you feel your stay was 'even better' than the last one. While we are always open to suggestions and advice it's always encouraging to hear from our guests that what we are doing, we are doing well.
Best wishes to you all and in particular to your son Kevin on his acceptance into Trinity College.
Kindest Regards,
John, Grainne Deegan and family.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful house. It offered everything you needed and the owners where really nice and welcomed us on our arrival. John showed us our room which was to the back of the house which overlooked the beautiful garden and fields. John and Grainne have put a lot of work and love into this house and the guests can really be relaxed and feel at home. The room was light and decorated lovely. The sheets, duvet and pillows etc of hotel standard. (even the towels) The room also had a hairdryer which was great. The lounge had an open fire and televison where guests could sit and chat and relax while having coffee, tea and biscuits.
Breakfast was a full irish breakfast (which John said he makes?? I think Grainne does. I had made to order porridge which was just lovely. John and Grainne make the guests feel at home and I would highly recommend this house to stay in as it is very close to Slieve Russel Hotel and half the price.
Thanks again guys for the hospitality.

1  Thank sarah jane m

Dear Sarah Jane,
What a lovely review! It was so nice to have you both stay last week and we're delighted that you were comfortable with us at Dungimmon House. Great to know that the linen and towels we provide are apprectiated for their quality and freshness and your comments on the house and gardens make what we do every day here worth while. I hope that you had a safe journey back home and that if you're in the area again do call in. (Don't forget you can bring your dogs with you on holiday here next time! )Best wishes, John & Grainne.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Just after staying in Dungimmon house for a wedding in the sleive Russell hotel. Firstly if I had known that there were so many other b&bs much closer to the hotel- I wouldn't have booked! Also the room was disappointing- not at all like the pictures! Small, cheap looking & dirty. But the worst about this place is the owners. We came in after the wedding reception, and went to go into the communal room to make a cup of tea- but the man came running downstairs, kicked us out and told us to go to bed- he even locked the door. I asked him if there were tea making facilities in the room and he just shouted "no" . We were very very thirsty and there was no water or access to anything to drink through the night! The attitude of the owners was terrible! I would not recommend this b&b- not worth the money. The photographs were very well taken but I wouldn't say that they paint an accurate picture of the tired b&b.

2  Thank Jenniphur
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear Jenniphur,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at Dungimmon House.

We were more than surprised to read your comments on the room being 'small, cheap looking and dirty'. This is in stark contrast to the 42 other reviews from previous guests' who have stayed at our B&B. We pride ourselves in providing a high standard of hygiene, comfort and customer care and can stand over our high levels of cleanliness and professionalism. In addition to this we hold a Failte Ireland 4 Star Approval, and were recently awarded a Certificate of Excellence from Trip Advisor for being the No. 1 B&B in the Ballyconnell area.

The reason why I came down stairs to you at 3.00am was not to refuse you Tea or Coffee but to ask you to keep your voices down. As you may appreciate we had a full house with a mixture of wedding guests, holiday makers, and business travellers, and sleeping guests do not appreciate being woken by loud voices in the middle of the night. As the owners of this business it is our responsibility to provide lodgings that offer quality room comforts and a peaceful environment in which to sleep. I stand over my decision to ask you to be quiet' and expect you too would appreciate this if you were a sleeping guest. Tea and Coffee is available from 7.00am until 12.00 midnight in our guest lounge and closed (not locked) during the night.

It would appear from the opening lines of your review that you were unhappy before you even arrived with us. We are located one mile from the Slieve Russell Hotel, and yes there are some other B&B's (approved and non-appoved) closer to the hotel.

We did try to contact you by phone this morning to discuss your issues but sadly you immediately hung up the phone. We would like you to contact us to further discuss your visit.

Kind regards
John & Grainne Deegan

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Besides getting the prize for being the longest-staying guest at Dungimmon House--11 nights--I want to say THANKS publicly for the wonderful hospitality I received from Grάinne and John Deegan. Staying at a house that was built to be a B&B makes a big difference. The rooms are spacious, well designed, etc., but the major difference is how quiet the rooms are. Yes, they serve great breakfasts, but the significant thing is--John and Grάinne mean it when they say, “If you need anything, just ask.” I asked for prunes—they appeared! I don’t think they expected a guest to ask for a bucket so she could clean her rented car of vegetable soup that had spilled when she tried—unsuccessfully--to bring it to a sick 2nd cousin. John would not let me clean up the mess that I created! Grάinne pitched in too!

On the wall in the dining room is a framed box with Grάinne’s and John’s names tags and titles in the hospitality business. They are professionals in every sense of the word. I was truly sad to leave them, their lovely B&B, and their children whom I caught glances of over the dozen days that I lived there. BRAVO! And THANKS!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank bsbalboni
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Hi Barbara,

Apologies for not responding to this review now as I thought I had already done so, (I did send an email and hope you recieved this).

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us at Dungimmon House, and we all enjoyed your bubbly personality during that time. It was so nice that you were able to source good information on your family tree and get to visit your roots while here. We miss your morning updates on your previous day's findings and often think of you.

Keep in touch, and thank you also for your lovely and generous gift on departure.
Kind Regards,

John, Grainne Deegan & family.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed here for a night on our way from Larne to a weeks holiday in Connemara.
This is a lovely house, very clean and comfortable. We had a room to the rear which overlooked the back garden and the two dogs sleeping on the trampoline.
We received a very warm welcome from John who showed us to our room and gave us recommendations for where to eat in the evening. Although not within easy walking distance both villages (Ballyconnell and Belturbert) are only a short car journey.
There is a very pleasant lounge with tea and coffee making facilities, where we sat in the evening. John presented us with an Irish whiskey say he liked to se Scottish people enjoy an Irish whiskey. This was such a kind gesture and made us feel very welcome.
The next morning we had an excellent breakfast in the well appointed dinning room which overlooks the garden. We met Grainne for the first time at breakfast, John must already have told her of our holiday plans because she knew where we were travelling to. Its the small things like this that make guests feel so welcome and at home.
If in the area again I would certainly visit Dungimmon House again and would definitely recommend this B&B.
Excellent value for money too.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gtdm
Dungimmonhouse, Owner at Dungimmon House, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Dear gtdm,

Thank you for your very kind and warm review. We constantly strive to provide comfortable accommodation and good service in a relaxed and homely environment and it is so nice to hear feedback that is has been appreciated. Glad to hear you enjoyed the Jameson Irish Whiskey (hope we converted you!).

Hope you had great holiday in Connemara and we hope that we will have the pleasure of accommodating you here at Dungimmon House again in the future.

Kind regards
John & Grainne

Been to Dungimmon House? Share your experiences!