“Business Trip”
Review of Villas del Rey

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Orotina
Villas del Rey
baltimore
“Business Trip”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Recently I went to Costa Rica on a business trip with an associate. We had several seminars in Jaco. Our first night in Costa Rica we stayed at a hotel there in Jaco. The hotel was more like a motel and we were very turned off by the rooms and service. Since my associate and I rented a car we decided to look for someplace a bit more luxurious. After doing a little bit of research on the internet we decided to stay at Villas del Rey for the remainder of the trip.
The difference was night and day between the hotel/motel and Villas del Rey. The service was wonderful and villas were very comfortable and relaxing. We did not get to walk around the grounds as much as we would have liked, but they were amazing. The villas are spread out and there are walking paths everywhere. The villa even included a “wake-up call” from a group of howler monkeys located directly in front of our villa every morning.
Since we were going to be returning from the seminars late we asked the restaurant if we could pre-order our dinners and have them waiting for us when we arrived. The owner actually came out and said that would not be a problem, but she did not want our food to get cold if we were late for any reason. She gave me an extra cell phone and asked me to call her when we were leaving the seminar. I was amazed at the friendliness of the owner and her staff. Each night our HOT food was left in the villas and they even included a carafe of the happy hour sangria for us free of charge.
All in all we had a great time and we would highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Frank R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The owners are amazing, giving very personal service. They are from the U.S. and Costa Rica, speak English and Spanish, and know the country well.They arranged trips for us, answered questions about the area, gave us a personal tour of the property, etc. The property, originally a mango grove, is vast and magical. It is full of fruit trees, tropical flowers, birds, iguanas, monkeys, and colorful butterflies. The villas (beautiful decor) have full kitchens with large, full baths.We were picked up at the airport, given cold drinks, and taken on a drive of San Jose. Arriving, we were met with sangrias and a gorgeous fruit platter. From the lobby patio, we enjoyed the most incredible view we'd ever seen. We enjoyed drinks at the bar, and delicious meals on the patio overlooking the lush vegetation and distant sunsets.The fabulous pool, with waterfalls, breathtaking views, the grounds, well equiped villas, and amazing service make this a special place.You feel completely safe in this gated resort. If you have a car, you can zip line nearby, visit historical San Jose, take a crocodile boat ride, and beaches are only about 30 minutes(a local bus also goes to the beaches in the same amount of time). Great location, just off main highway, halfway between San Jose and the coastline.

Room Tip: Villas are spread out around the property to give you privacy. Some are quite a distance to run bac...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Cheryl L
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I went down to Costa Rica to meet some friends of mine and tour the country for 10 days. I went down two days before they did and I was not sure what to do or where to stay while I was there. I rented a car and started driving to Jaco, where I was going to meet my friends. On the way to Jaco I passed by Villas del Rey Resort. I stopped at a restaurant across the street from the resort and looked it up on the internet. It looked nice so I decided to see if they had anything available. I went up to the guard house in front and asked to be let in. They asked me if I had a reservation because only guests are allowed in. I told them that I did not have a reservation, but that I was interested in staying for a couple of nights. The guard then led me to the reception area. I talked to the woman at the front desk and explained my situation. She said that they had a couple of villas that were unoccupied and then took me down to see them. The first villa had 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. The next had 1 bedroom and 1 bath. I told them that since I was by myself the 1 bedroom villa would be fine. The price for the night was $225 and I asked them for a discount because I was going to stay for 2 nights and they were not full. They ended up giving me a 25% discount so the villa came out to cost only $169 which was a good deal because it was furnished house with a kitchen.
When we were finished I asked how far Jaco was. The woman gave me a map and explained that it was only about 20-25 minutes away and how to get there. She also marked a few beaches on the map that were only 10 minutes away. I drove down to see where I was going to meet my friends. While at Jaco I ate dinner and walked around until it got dark. The time I spent there was nice, but I was very glad I was staying at Villas del Rey. Jaco has a bunch of hotels, but nothing nearly as nice as where I was staying.
When I got back to the resort I stopped at the restaurant/bar. There was a couple on their honeymoon and they invited me for a drink. When I decided to go down to my villa the bartender called the guard and he walked me down to the villa. I told them that I didn’t need any help, but they insisted. The entire property is very well lit but it was nice that they wouldn’t let a young woman walk by herself.
Since my friends were coming in a couple of days I decided to stay at the resort and just lounge around. I laid by the pool and walked around the grounds. The resort is very large, but well maintained. I ended up eating lunch and dinner with the couple I met the night before.
When my friends arrived I asked the resort if we could have lunch there. They said that would be fine since I was staying there. We then asked for a tour and the receptionist called the guard and he walked us around. My friends and I liked the resort so much we decided to stay there our last night.
The entire time I was at the resort I felt very safe. This is one reason I would recommend Villas del Rey Resort to others. They pride themselves on the comfort and safety of their guests. We all had a great time and I would stay again.

Room Tip: All of the villas are very private and safe.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank JinChang29
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband and I recently decided to spend our honeymoon in Costa Rica. Both my husband and I love the outdoors and kept hearing wonderful stories of Costa Rica. We heard of a new resort named Villas del Rey through our travel agent and decided to stay there.

We stayed in their honeymoon villa, which was beautiful. The villa comes with a large kitchen/TV area, a bedroom and a huge bathroom that has two sinks in two separate rooms and a Jacuzzi tub. Our first night my husband called ahead and the management had a bottle of champagne chilling along with chocolate fondue and a bunch of fresh fruit. It was wonderful.

Except for scuba diving one day and going zip-lining another we ended up staying most of the week at the hotel. We lounged at the pool and walked all around. There were lots of animals for us to take pictures of. There were monkeys, tropical birds, butterflies, and lots of iguanas.
The villas were very private. We only met two other families while we were there and that was up at the pool. It was perfect for honeymooners. I would defiantly recommend it for any couples who are looking for a private get away.

Room Tip: The honeymoon villa was great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BethJ25
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Last month my family and I decided to take a trip down to Costa Rica. We were interested in renting a private home for a week. While searching the internet we came upon Villas del Rey Resort. After discussing it with my family we decided to give the resort a try. We emailed our reservation request and promptly received a confirmation back from a member of the staff.
We were picked up at the airport and greeted with bottles of water and moist towels. After a shot drive we arrived at the resort. It is located right off of the main highway and is easy to find which is nice because we later decided to rent a car.
Upon arrival the staff had prepared sangria, a variety of fruit juices, and a plate of freshly cut fruit for us to enjoy out on the back terrace of the lobby. The lobby has a fantastic view of the pool and the grounds. In the distance you can even make out the Pacific Ocean. They then took us down to our villa. The villa is ample and had more than enough room for myself, my wife and our two children. A member of the staff brought our bags in and gave us a short tour of the villa. Our villa consisted of a master bedroom, master bathroom, guest bedroom, guest bathroom, full kitchen, and lounge area. Outside, the villa had a large covered patio area with an outdoor BBQ and a lovely yard. The villa was clean and beautifully decorated. The bedrooms have lush beddings and the bathrooms have large plush towels.
My family and I unpacked and then took a walk around the property. The villas are spaced out nicely so that no one is inconvenienced by any of the other guest. There are meandering trails and a stocked fishing pond to go along with the pool. All in all, the villa and the resort grounds were fantastic.
Throughout the week we planned full day and half day trips. There was a lot to do around the resort and the staff explained how to get to each destination. They even prepared lunches to go for us. We went to a volcano, zip-lining, rafting, horseback riding, toured a national park, and experienced a crocodile boat tour. We had a great time on all of the tours and wanted to go on many more, but unfortunately did not have time.
Each night we came back and had dinner at the resort. The food was delicious and the service was great. My children are picky eaters and the staff really tried to accommodate all of our dinning needs.
After returning home the staff at the resort sent us an email thanking us for our stay and invited us to come back anytime, this was a nice touch.
On our next trip to Costa Rica we would definitely stay at Villas del Rey Resort again. The entire resort is beautiful and the staff is amazing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Peter T
Temple City, California
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We recently returned from a vacation trip to Costa Rica.We'd heard so much about the popularity of that destination, we decided to see for ourselves. I was fortunate to hear of this resort from a friend who had recently been. My friends description didn't do it justice. The resort was even more beautiful than he'd said, with a lush green forest of mango's and some of the most colorful plant life I'd ever seen along with beautifully colored birds,and occasional native monkey, all spread over 20 natural acres. Our 2 bedroom Villa was so beautifully decorated and comfortable with all of the necessities as if a private home. All of the privacy you could ask for if that is your choice. The restaurant and bar are very comfortable and the food was excellent. Fresh fruit ( from the property)and pastry in the morning help get you ready for a fun day. With so many unique things to do in Costa Rica, having a very knowledgeable pair of hosts and an accommodating staff makes planning your days a treat in itself. Whatever it is you want to see or do can be done through them from the resort.It's so apparent that their primary goal is to help you personalize your vacation so you have the best experience possible. We chose the outdoor activities, from zip-lining and canopy tour, a tour of a coffee plantation and a beautiful butterfly farm. There are several black sand beaches that are secluded and very relaxing. We also went on the tour of the volcano at Arenal which is breathtaking. If your able to get back at the right time you can see a beautiful sunset while overlooking the pool and waterfeature from the patio while you sip on a beverage of your choosing. Many great advantages come with staying at a small private resort,in particular the personalized service.Everything you've heard about the beauty of Costa Rica is true and Villas Del Rey makes you feel as though you're staying with friends.If you have children, they would have a great time also as there is a fishing pond and much to explore. I would highly recommend to all.

Room Tip: All are private, well appointed and air conditioned
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Larry K
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I had the extraordinary opportunity to have stayed at Villas del Rey, Costa Rica about two weeks ago. The owners/staff could not have been more wonderful. There were beautiful sunsets at the clubhouse, the grounds are extraordinary and Villa I stayed in was beyond! High ceilings, totally private, fully stocked kitchen and gorgeously furnished. I highly recommend this wonderful slice of Costa Rica to anyone. Absolutely loved Villas del Rey!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Susan32655
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orotina
Villa Caletas
Hotel Puntarenas Beach
#8 of 20 in Punta Arenas
Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica
Puerto Azul Boutique Resort & Marina

Been to Villas del Rey? Share your experiences!