“Waste of Money”

Arecibo Lighthouse & Historical Park
Ranked #5 of 25 things to do in Arecibo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Arecibo Lighthouse & Historical Park, offers to the general public The Morillos Lighthouse from 1898, last Lighthouse built by Spanish Government in the island just before the Hispanic-American War. It was totally restored and opened to the public in 2001. In the surrounding areas, some replicas of elements of Puerto Rico history like Taino Village, Spanish Conquest with 3 ships, African Hut, Pirate Ship and the only salt-water aquarium in the island. Also Decks with the magnificent views of the Atlantic Ocean. You can access the "Splash by the Lighthouse" a wading pool area for kids and adults.
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Paid way too much money to spend an hour or so here not doing much. There were a few neat things like the Pirate's Cove, but the playground, zoo and the waterpark were a joke. The view from the lighthouse was cool, but not worth what we paid to get in.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"vessel"
"waves"

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Well, my husband and I like to visit lighthouses, so we thought we'd check out the Arecibo lighthouse and Historical Park. We arrived less than an hour before they close and negotiated a cheaper entrance fee since we only wanted to see the lighthouse and it was late, but it was still $21.40 for two adults. At the cashier's recommendation, we went to the big cave first. This was almost worth the overpriced admission, because it was so amusing. This was a terrible knock off of The Pirates of the Caribbean. They even used same theme song and the skull and crossbones. The exhibits were gaudy. The aquarium was a little better.

The views from the lighthouse are great, but I was disappointed to discover that you can't go all the way to the too of the lighthouse.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We just went to the lighthouse, there is a childrens park in front of the lighthouse, they close at 6 pm

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I really like lighthouses and went expecting to see a lighthouse like the one in Rincon. I was sorely disappointed. I arrived to find out that the lighthouse was incorporated into an amusement park, and there was no way to visit the lighthouse without paying full fare into the park. Since I had driven a long way I decided to just pay the fee.

What I found was a bunch of fake pirate ships and "huts" like the natives supposedly used. I decided to ignore that and go right to the lighthouse. The building itself is very nice, except for the fact that it is filled with fake pirate chests and phony trinkets. There is a nice view of the ocean and a large deck to stare out at the sea. That was the best of it.

I do not understand putting a water park right next to the ocean, but somebody thought it was a good idea. I suppose if you have children, they might enjoy it. Otherwise, save your money and visit Cabo Rojo or Rincon. In retrospect I should have just gone to the observatory.

1  Thank Lourdgoogoo
See more reviews
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was a money racket for anyone without kids. They have an indian village set up, replicas of Columbus's ships, playground and of course the Lighthouse. The view from the Lighthouse was beautiful. Had I know before hand that was all that was there I would not have paid the entrance and parking fee as this was not a great place for someone travelling solo. It is a good location for families with small children.