LaCatalina Hotel and Suites is a magical place, an intimate boutique hotel set in the lush highlands of the San Jose valley about 20 minutes from the airport. From this vantage point you can see the lights of San Jose, the volcanoes in the mountains and a sliver of the ocean. The hotel itself is set amongst 6 or so acres of varied topography, with an incredible range of flowers, foliage and native birds - seems there are poinsettias everywhere! There are two pools, one being converted to a clothing optional pool and the other with a sit down bar, a fitness center with outdoors table tennis (with an incredible vista view) and a full size tennis court.
The hotel property looks and feels like an estate, and there are three other villas on the property in addition to the Main House, all secluded from each other as if in their own world. The Main House is where the restaurant is located with a fine variety of items on the menu, which seemed to go on and on (but make sure you order before 10 or the kitchen closes without notice!). The lounge and dining area, along with the wicker rocking chairs on the veranda, harken back to the cozy hotels of the turn of the previous century, where conversations are struck with those at the next table and everyone ends upon knowing each other by the end of the night. The setting is conducive to sharing one’s travel experiences and other stories. The cozy atmosphere, with stocked library and rich wood everywhere made me feel comfortable and at home. The suite I stayed in had old world carvings, walkout balcony, immense bathroom with bidet, and a huge king size bed.
This hotel is in a good location for striking out to see and enjoy what Costa Rica has to offer - day trips are available to downtown San Jose, both coasts, the volcanoes, ecoforersts, zip line and white water rafting tours - which worked well for me. The hotel is a welcome sight after going into San Jose to see the sights, with the crowds, traffic and environments of a big city. Staff were courteous and helpful, but you have to be patient with their English. I will definitely return here as a welcome start to future trips to Costa Rica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Catalina Hotel & Suites is an adult couples only, majestic private, gated resort, located a few miles just outside the City of Heredia which is just outside the Capital City of San Jose, on 6 lush acres inhabited by tropical flowers, trees, ponds and other gracious amenities like tennis court,gym,billiards,jacuzzi and 2 swimming pools.One swimming pool is nude and the other up to topless. Fully furnished hotel rooms, suites and villas are offered - studios, one or two bedrooms, and even romantic private villa enclaves ready for your enjoyment.Some weeks in the year are totally clothing optional.La Catalina has the best food in the area from North American to South American to Asian to Seafood.La Catalina has a great weekly entertainment program. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Catalina Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Catalina Hotel And Suites
- La Catalina Hotel Birri
- Hotel La Catalina
- La Catalina Hotel & Suites Costa Rica/Province Of Heredia