“AMAZING!!”

La Catalina Hotel & Suites
Fort Pierce, Florida, United States
“AMAZING!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

i stayed at la catalina in late 2012. the hotel was beautiful and very well kept.because the main house was empty that week they let us stay in it for the same price as the smaller house. the view from where we stayed was amazing,every morning clouds would literally roll across the front yard it was really cool being that i am from florida and we are below sea level. the staff and my family became really good friends during our stay.they were very helpful and went above and beyond to make sure our stay was worth while.we went to costa to get away from the american lifestyle and i enjoyed seeing what central america had to offer. there are so many things to do in the area and la catalina is a perfect midway point for all of the activities you choose to do, i would like to thank the staff and the owner for providing such a great stay and i will be back for sure!!!!

Room Tip: The house on the hill top is the biggest,and has a carport and the view is sick!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I was there in rainy season in September but it was one of my best vacations ever. Not to many tourists but with the people vacationing there we felt like we are a part of a big family including the hotel staff. Don't expect 5 star hotel atmosphere they didn't advertise something like that and I personally wasn't looking for that. My room was upgraded for free for a Jacuzzi room , all the meals are made from scratch after order, they have two local cooks ( wonderful ladies) from morning till 10 pm. Wendy the housekeeper made my room each day she even dried and folded my clothes after a volcano trip. You can swim go to outside Jacuzzi undisturbed walk in the garden or have a rum and a cigar on the covered colonial veranda. Both Carmen and Henry are really helpful . We talked many nights with Henry about Costa Rica and everything . I had a chance to go out with him for a beer at the local bars he also arranged a very nice but not the typical touristic Poas volcano and San Jose tours. if you looking for a stainless steel , chrome an marble establishment probably it's not for you it's a colonial style older building with carved furniture inside , two swimming pools outside Jacuzzi and a nice garden and some really friendly people.
I did a mistake and didn't ask the hotel to pick me up from the airport its probably 20 min. I took a cab from the airport who didn't know where he was going ( i didn't know the hotel it's in Birri ) so we spend some time and me money to get to the hotel but once being there no problems ( my return flight was at 7.00 Am ). I am going back in January with my friends.

A. S. Vancouver B.C.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

After arriving from a long flight from Europe, my wife and I were happy to find that after being picked up at the airport the hotel was no more than a 20 minute drive away. What a wonderful place, definitely boutique. It felt more like a country mansion than a hotel. The huge well kept gardens were a pleasure to walk around and there was an outdoor pool and Jacuzzi, where we spent some time lazing around with a cocktail (no stress here!). The staff were very friendly and the food was excellent and in a very romantic setting. The test of a good hotel is how well you sleep, and we slept great! This place felt different from other hotels that we had stayed in over the years because it had been built with quality materials and full of character. We are more than happy to recommend this hotel and on our future visits to Costa Rica we will be returning here.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room as the views are spectacular
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FreeSpirit4ever16
San Jose, Costa Rica
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Do not get me wrong, it is not a bad hotel. However, it is totally overpriced.

The wifi did not work in my room, even though it did at the reception. Nobody could do something about it.

I was told to pay 100% of the total amount for my stay, even though I had already paid 50% when I made the reservation online. The staff said that they had not charged this initial 50%. Would you believe it "just like that"? As the wifi was not working, I had to go to a restaurant in the surroundings (where there was wifi available), so that I could check my account statement online. Of course I paid afterwards, but the procedure was not "top-class".

The pictures of the rooms that you can see on the website are not valid for each one of the rooms that the hotel offers. The rooms definitely do not look as nice as in the pictures.

The phone in the room did not work at all, so you couldn't call the receptionist in case of any questions. In fact, I had a couple questions. Therefore, I walked to the reception twice. The receptionist did the same in order to give me the answers.... instead of fixing the phone.

The small fridge in the room was ok. However, it would have been nice to have one with all the four supporting parts at the bottom. Every time you opened the fridge, the door would hit the floor.

When we visited the restaurant, we had to look for the personnel. The staff was not as available as you expect in such a hotel. Additionally, it would have been nice to have a "hole-less" tablecloth. The breakfast was good. However, due to the overall experience, we decided to have lunch and dinner somewhere else.

In the room, we had cable tv. However, the signal was really bad. There were some tv channels that you just couldn't watch. That should not happen in such a hotel.

You definitely need a car to reach this hotel. Don't be so mean to the taxi drivers.

There were some water fountains in the property in very bad condition. The gardens looked quite nice.

Room Tip: Ask for the ones that look exactly as the ones in the pictures. Most of them do not look like that.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AL P
Marilyn K, Guest Relations Manager at La Catalina Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
We are sorry to read from your review that you had encountered few difficulties during your stay with us and please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused. It is never our intention to disappoint our guests .. We are thankful that after checking the internet, this guest could see we were not attempting to charge him twice.... glad they enjoyed the free breakfast.

Our hotel consists of 6 acres with wi-fi access throughout but on occasions wi-fi equipment breaks down and we must get it from North America. The part of the property where this guest was staying, the wi-fi system had broken and we were awaiting replacement part, however, we did have wi-fi access in the reception area, restaurant/library/upper pool and reading room area so there was no need for this guest to leave the property to see if we charged him or not , he did mention in his review the wi-fi worked in the reception area.

We are a boutique hotel and room size and classifications do vary. This guest booked a Presidente Room with Jacuzzi and King Bed. The larger sizes are in the main mansion and in most cases are the first to be sold out. This guest booked his reservation through a hotel booking site and not directly with us. We provide the outside hotel booking sites with all of our pictures of the rooms and grounds but they do not publish all the pictures we give them. This is just another reason why you should book directly with a hotel.

This guest lives in Costa Rica and is fully aware that when certain things breaks down, it is not readily available and must be ordered out of country. Shortly before this guest arrived we had an electrical storm that damaged part of our phone system, which has left some of the rooms without phone service. This guest was advised of this upon check-in. The problem was fixed later in December. The cable company was able to fix the issues with poor signal problems. The guest was correct about the refrigerator, it was corrected forthwith.

We always let our guests know that if there is any problem(s) with your room to please advise us so we can correct the issue at hand. This guest never reported any issues with his room, we only found out through this website.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming this guest in the near future to see our many improvements...
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Perfect location in SJO! The food was delicious and the staff was amazing with us! We will go back in January with more friends!
Executive king suites with jacuzzi are clean and well decorated with Costa Rica charm
Thank you for made us feel at home!

• Stayed October 2012
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

I stayed for one amazing week in this gorgeous hotel.
The staff was friendly and helpful; I booked all my tours with them.
I will like to highly recommend the Poas Volcano tour that is about 40 minutes from the hotel.
On February 14th we had a romantic Dinner with live music for valentine’s day, they decorated all the hotel with hearts and they also putted candles and fresh flowers in every table but the best part was the views to the central valley from the restaurant, was a really good experience for me and my fiancé (I said my fiancé because I asked her to marry me that night).
The rooms are clean, the food was excellent (try the mahi mahi) , the grounds are beautiful but the best part of everything was the helpful

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Martin Alonso E
cal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

Stay here if you want to relax and decompress. This is a mountain resort. There isn't allot of rooms or guests at La Catalina.
However you will be tended to very well, a stay here is like a private getaway with a personal staff just for you. Good food. Small town near by also if you want to meet locals.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank calfun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birri
Hotel Monte Campana
Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn
Tacacori EcoLodge
Tacacori EcoLodge
#8 of 29 in Alajuela

Been to La Catalina Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!