Do not get me wrong, it is not a bad hotel. However, it is totally overpriced.
The wifi did not work in my room, even though it did at the reception. Nobody could do something about it.
I was told to pay 100% of the total amount for my stay, even though I had already paid 50% when I made the reservation online. The staff said that they had not charged this initial 50%. Would you believe it "just like that"? As the wifi was not working, I had to go to a restaurant in the surroundings (where there was wifi available), so that I could check my account statement online. Of course I paid afterwards, but the procedure was not "top-class".
The pictures of the rooms that you can see on the website are not valid for each one of the rooms that the hotel offers. The rooms definitely do not look as nice as in the pictures.
The phone in the room did not work at all, so you couldn't call the receptionist in case of any questions. In fact, I had a couple questions. Therefore, I walked to the reception twice. The receptionist did the same in order to give me the answers.... instead of fixing the phone.
The small fridge in the room was ok. However, it would have been nice to have one with all the four supporting parts at the bottom. Every time you opened the fridge, the door would hit the floor.
When we visited the restaurant, we had to look for the personnel. The staff was not as available as you expect in such a hotel. Additionally, it would have been nice to have a "hole-less" tablecloth. The breakfast was good. However, due to the overall experience, we decided to have lunch and dinner somewhere else.
In the room, we had cable tv. However, the signal was really bad. There were some tv channels that you just couldn't watch. That should not happen in such a hotel.
You definitely need a car to reach this hotel. Don't be so mean to the taxi drivers.
There were some water fountains in the property in very bad condition. The gardens looked quite nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Catalina Hotel & Suites is an adult couples only, majestic private, gated resort, located a few miles just outside the City of Heredia which is just outside the Capital City of San Jose, on 6 lush acres inhabited by tropical flowers, trees, ponds and other gracious amenities like tennis court,gym,billiards,jacuzzi and 2 swimming pools.One swimming pool is nude and the other up to topless. Fully furnished hotel rooms, suites and villas are offered - studios, one or two bedrooms, and even romantic private villa enclaves ready for your enjoyment.Some weeks in the year are totally clothing optional.La Catalina has the best food in the area from North American to South American to Asian to Seafood.La Catalina has a great weekly entertainment program. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your La Catalina Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Catalina Hotel And Suites
- La Catalina Hotel Birri
- Hotel La Catalina
- La Catalina Hotel & Suites Costa Rica/Province Of Heredia