“What an experience”

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“What an experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was a great experience. To be able to walk along side these big beasts and have them hold your hand with their trunk was amazing (if a bit snotty!) We were lucky that there were only a few on our tour so had a long ride on the back of the elephants and then able to give them a good brush. Fantastic to be so close to them.

Visited December 2012

London, England, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Unique and well intentioned”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We decided to get up early and do the 'sunrise tour', where you brush, walk, feed, and ride the elephants.

You are greeted by a friendly and informative guide, who talks you through what the sanctuary does and how they make money to keep doing what they do. The nicest thing to hear was that once the elephants get to a certain size they are released back into the reserves, for reasons both to live out a natural existence and because they become genuinely unmanageable. The guide told us (I have not checked this fact thought) that at Knysna they have had problems due to keeping bulls despite reaching sexual maturity and getting too big to control.

Anyway, their five elephants consist of a few who are poacher orphans and a few who are rescued from circus existences. Obviously, they are still spending a lot of their days 'performing' in a way, but they do nothing more unnatural than walking, performing a few natural behaviours (shaking their heads, kneeling to dig for roots) and lifting legs and trunks to allow people to have a look at them and learn about them. The guide also assured me since they are fed fairly constantly during the tours, they are a big fan of people as people mean food!

Yes, the handlers themselves come across as somewhat indifferent, but they are knowledgeable enough and the elephants respond well to them.

It was a beautiful personal experience as no one else was crazy enough to get there for 8am for the sunrise tour. It was lovely to brush them and be so close to them, they were very gentle and I never felt worried. The tour itself wasn't especially long so I'm glad we went for the whole shebang, despite the expense. It was actually comfortingly expensive, as I think this should be a special thing that you save up to do, rather than being an easy commodity. They are special animals and shouldn't be taken advantage of. It was especially nice seeing them after we were done, getting into the pool and having a nice mud bath!

If you love elephants and want a special experience, I would recommend getting up early and doing the sunrise tour. We bought the DVD they made of us, seeing as it was just us in it and it's quite well edited for being done on the spot! They also sell beautiful prints of the elephants feet on paper made from their dung. Not as gross as it sounds!

The Elephant Sanctuary is a small, well run and thought out operation. I felt privileged to get so close, and to help in keeping them safe. Savour each moment!

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Joanne D
East London, South Africa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Had a wonderful experience with the elephants, great value for money. What stood out was the staff, they are so knowledgeable and interactive, they are really passionate about their work. It was our first time with Elephants so I didn't know what to expect, a grear overall experience.

Had to spend a couple of hours waiting for locksmith as my son locked the car keys in the car, it wouldn't had been so bad if there was a coffee shop or a restaurant.

Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A unique experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband and I visited the elephant sanctuary in November 2012. We had a truly unique experience - the elephants were beautiful and our "tour guide" was informative and friendly. There are some things to consider before you go:
1) The actual elephant "handlers" who walk with you seem to be indifferent towards the elephants. One actually told us that he would rather be a soccer coach than doing what he was doing. I found that sad.
2) The elephants are "contained" in this environment and do the walking tours all day long. We saw tour after tour. When I left, I wondered....is this really the right place for these elephants? It seem unnatural and almost like a zoo without walls. Our guide told us that the elephants to into a barn at night. It just didn't seem like this was entirely right.
3) The "walk" with the elephants is very short and then the rest of the time is with the elephants "doing" things - like picking up their leg, showing you the inside of their mouths, etc. Basically, trained, rote behavior.
Those are just things that you should consider before going. If I had my choice, I would have spent the time on safari rather than this experience. However, it was unique and one that I will remember. The elephants are clearly well taken care of, well fed (you get to feed them at the end) and have a good life! It just isn't their "natural" purpose.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank hwsnow
Preston, United Kingdom
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

First time at the park, we decided to come here instead of the Knysna elephant park. We were not disappointed, we had a great time walking with the elephants and some wonderful photo opportunities.

Visited November 2012